The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

The visiting team loses by one and when they review the tape they see the home team scorer missed 2 points with 8 minutes left, is there an appeal proccess what would happen if this was a Div 1 game
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Once the officials have okayed the final score and left the visual confines of the floor, it's over. That's for HS, I would assume that D-1 is the same. That's why you have two scorekeepers, one from each team, keeping score.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 04:47pm
M.A.S.H.

Question: Ok, so if the score is that close...once the horn goes, usually (around here anyways) we go off the floor quickly. Now, if it was a close game you would check the book whenever you could, but what happens if an error occurs after your check and you're already in the lock room?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 04:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Situations like this are why the NCAA requires officials to come together and get a "thumbs-up" from the official scorer BEFORE they leave the court at the end of a game...
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

This game happened in a Canadian universtiy. I haven't got all the details but it was missed with about 8 minutes left. I assume the team informed the officials but when they consulted the scorers table it wasn't on the sheet. They are actually thinking of replaying it.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Grant
The visiting team loses by one and when they review the tape they see the home team scorer missed 2 points with 8 minutes left, is there an appeal proccess what would happen if this was a Div 1 game
I'm uncertain how you could tell by the tape that a scorer missed 2 points. if you mean the scoreboard, that's not official, is it? If you mean the scorebook, how could you tell by the tape?!
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
I'm uncertain how you could tell by the tape that a scorer missed 2 points. if you mean the scoreboard, that's not official, is it? If you mean the scorebook, how could you tell by the tape?!
This is just a guess, but maybe the scorebook and scoreboard agreed. However, when the reviewed the tape they discovered the points were never added to the scoreboard. Therefore if A = B, and B is wrong it is probably safe to assume the A is also wrong.

But that is just my sometime twisted logic.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
This is just a guess, but maybe the scorebook and scoreboard agreed. However, when the reviewed the tape they discovered the points were never added to the scoreboard. Therefore if A = B, and B is wrong it is probably safe to assume the A is also wrong.

But that is just my sometime twisted logic.
That occurred to me too, but it's at least possible that they fixed it some time in the last quarter, and that might not show up on the tape.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

One of my first posts to this site...I think...was a 7th grade play-off game in which a home player made a three, the officials signalled it, but the book and scoreboard reflected a two. Guy next to me kept saying the score was wrong. Ultimately, the game was tied at the end of regulation and home team lost in OT. We find out later the visiting coach knew all along. You live, you learn. And, of course, you take into account the hundreds of turnovers and missed shots for each team.

- Catherine Aird
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
And, of course, you take into account the hundreds of turnovers and missed shots for each team.
turnovers and missed shots? they never cost a team a game do they? I always thought it was the officials fault that a team lost! :P
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Lightbulb

When I'm the R on a game, I always tell the book & timer during my pre-game with them that I will look at them as I run off the court. IF there are any problems, wave me over at that time. If you don't, the score will stand whether or not it's right!
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Video can only be used to establish whether a shot at the end of a period occurred before time expired, not to verify the accuracy of the scorebook.

This situation can be brought to the attention of the league so that they can see if this problem recurs and is part of a pattern. But that game is history.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Video can only be used to establish whether a shot at the end of a period occurred before time expired, not to verify the accuracy of the scorebook.

This situation can be brought to the attention of the league so that they can see if this problem recurs and is part of a pattern. But that game is history.

If it's an NCAA game, then you definately can use the monitor to check the accuracy of the scorebook.

Rule 2
Section 5. Officials Use of Replay/Television Equipment

Art. 1. Officials may use courtside replay equipment, videotape or television monitoring only in situations involving:

d. Preventing or rectifying a scoring or timing mistake by the scorer or timer involving the game clock or shot clock;