The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Losing the ball on Alternate Possession (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18145-losing-ball-alternate-possession.html)

Hartsy Wed Feb 02, 2005 03:15pm

A lot of people seem to think that when a held ball goes to the team on defense, that it penalizes the offense. I contend that over the course of the game, that no team gains any advantage from alternate possession. After all, possession alternates one for one. Granted, if the game is tight and possession turns over with 5 seconds left, it looks like someone got the short end, but they had their chance the previous time. And even if the possessions are 7 to 8 (from the arrow), that seems to be little advantage to me.

Just something I had to get off my chest.

zebraman Wed Feb 02, 2005 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Hartsy
A lot of people seem to think that when a held ball goes to the team on defense, that it penalizes the offense. I contend that over the course of the game, that no team gains any advantage from alternate possession. After all, possession alternates one for one. Granted, if the game is tight and possession turns over with 5 seconds left, it looks like someone got the short end, but they had their chance the previous time. And even if the possessions are 7 to 8 (from the arrow), that seems to be little advantage to me.

Just something I had to get off my chest.

Was it cathartic? :p

Z

Smitty Wed Feb 02, 2005 03:37pm

The worst that can happen is one team gets one more alternating possession than the other.

Wait, the worst thing is actually in a lower level girls game where one team gets 3265 alternating possessions and the other team gets only 3264. :D

Back In The Saddle Wed Feb 02, 2005 03:57pm

We could always go back to the jump ball. Then one team might possibly get all 6529 of them. :D

blindzebra Wed Feb 02, 2005 04:16pm

If a change was made I'd say give the ball to the defense on held balls CAUSED by the defense, like stopping release on a shot/pass, or a tie up with control.

On loose balls, double touches, and stuck ball go to the arrow.

Double fouls should go POI with team control, arrow without.

stick Wed Feb 02, 2005 05:02pm

I know an official who when a player tries to get a jump called he calls a holding foul EVERY TIME!! Whatcha think, a bit harsh or not?

blindzebra Wed Feb 02, 2005 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by stick
I know an official who when a player tries to get a jump called he calls a holding foul EVERY TIME!! Whatcha think, a bit harsh or not?
If players are standing and the tie up comes from behind contact is EXTREMELY likely, and on tie ups from the side contact is likely to happen going for the ball as well.

In those cases unless it is obviously clean, I'm leaning toward the foul. In lower levels and girls games not calling a foul in these situations, for even minimal contact, encourages players to attempt to tie up everything instead of playing defense. Which leads to wrestling instead of basketball.

bob jenkins Wed Feb 02, 2005 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
If a change was made I'd say give the ball to the defense on held balls CAUSED by the defense, like stopping release on a shot/pass, or a tie up with control.

They tried that in NCAA. Changed it back.

blindzebra Wed Feb 02, 2005 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Wasn't it because the officials kept screwing it up?

It seems pretty simple to me.:D

Camron Rust Wed Feb 02, 2005 08:23pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think so.

It turned out that there were a lot of ambiguous situations with regard to the letter and the intent of the rule.

Defense, due to great defense, causes A1 to fumble the ball. B1 dives for it and grabs it with two hands. A split second later, A1 also grabs it. By that experiment, it would have been A's ball since B gained team control just prior to A grabbing the ball.

The reward often went to the team that didn't deserve it.

It because really critical do judge team control in a scrum for a loose ball...not easy to see or do.

paxsonref Wed Feb 02, 2005 08:27pm

[/B][/QUOTE]

If players are standing and the tie up comes from behind contact is EXTREMELY likely, and on tie ups from the side contact is likely to happen going for the ball as well.

In those cases unless it is obviously clean, I'm leaning toward the foul. In lower levels and girls games not calling a foul in these situations, for even minimal contact, encourages players to attempt to tie up everything instead of playing defense. Which leads to wrestling instead of basketball. [/B][/QUOTE]

So trying to get a jump ball or take the ball away is bad defense?

Dan_ref Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:15pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It was because the coaches didn't like it.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:16pm

The NBA/WNBA rules do it correctly: Jump ball for all held balls and jump ball situations.

MTD, Sr.

Dan_ref Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
The NBA/WNBA rules do it correctly: Jump ball for all held balls and jump ball situations.

MTD, Sr.

I agree

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

MTD, Sr.

I agree

Dan:

Are you nuts? When people see that you agreed with me, they will question your sanity.

MTD, Sr.