The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

I was doing a middle school game today. The Visiting team had an 80 point lead, no jokes, it was literally 80 points. Now the league has a fall back rule after 20 points, but no real penalty. Now for some reason they didn't understand that they had to fall back. So after telling them to get back a few times I decided that if they made any contact in the backcourt I'd call an intentional foul. Because under the rules they can't legally make a move for the ball, so any contact must be intentional. Now after I made this decision in my head and informed my parter how we'd be handling it. They got the point of the fall back rule. Now my question is, how do you guys handle it in your area?? What penalties do you assess if any??
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

One warning then a team technical in Phoenix, but it is mainly in youth leagues and in one MS league.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

One MS league that I work has a "no press" rule that applies until 4th quarter and no press rule whenever the lead is greater than 15 points during the 4th quarter.

"Violaters" are given a verbal warning... "No Press!"

I have not had any player/team push it beyond the verbal warning, most often it has been that the player/team was unaware of situation.

If the leading team (by more than 15 points in the fourth or prior to the fourth quarter) continued to press after they had been given a clear warning, I would not hesitate to administer a "T" for unsporting acts and continue to assess them until the situation was resolved.

Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
In the youth leagues I've done that had mercy rules, and no-press rules, I usually warn once or twice, and then threaten. After that, T, T, T.

I had one such game where I went to the coach and threatened. He shrugged and said, "They just like to play really aggressive ball." I said, "So what you're telling me is that you have no control over them?" Didn't have a problem the rest of the game.

Of course, he's also the one to whom I said, "Coach, some people might consider pressing with a 40-point lead over-compensation." I'd never say it again, but it worked that time.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Question

In a somewhat related vein...........
When no-press is in effect but offense pushes the ball, not allowing defense time to retreat.....do you still not allow defense to defend, just run alongside???

Do any of your local leagues specifically talk about this or is it a blanket "no defending in backcourt"?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

I do not let them "play defense" until they reach mid court when they are running along side a player pushing the ball up court.

Now I had a situation last Saturday where that was happening and A1 lost control of the ball. I bounced away and B1 took it, turn and layed it in. Coach A asked and received a TO, then said "They cannot press after a 15 point lead." I said "But they can go after a loose ball when they are right next to it. If you want your player to have an easy path to mid court, tell them to hold the ball until the other teams clears."

Didn't hear another peep about the defense.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
I do not let them "play defense" until they reach mid court when they are running along side a player pushing the ball up court.

Now I had a situation last Saturday where that was happening and A1 lost control of the ball. I bounced away and B1 took it, turn and layed it in. Coach A asked and received a TO, then said "They cannot press after a 15 point lead." I said "But they can go after a loose ball when they are right next to it. If you want your player to have an easy path to mid court, tell them to hold the ball until the other teams clears."

Didn't hear another peep about the defense.
If I were you, I'd check with an assignor or commissioner about that. When I've been working a no-bc-press game, it was specifically stated that it wasn't allowed. Taking the ball into your own control is still a defensive move, even if the ball is loose from someone's fumble. You need to be sure you get it right.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

When my kids were younger, they played in a league that allowed ZERO press in the backcourt til 4th Q. On D-rebounds, we always had a player race to the midcourt line and stay just barely in the backcourt. Rebounder would baseball pass to them and there was nothing D could do about it. This usually resulted in a fastbreak layup and we rarely lost a game. Hey the rules said we could do it so we took advantage of the rule.

Just imagine to possibilities IF coaches learned ALL the rules.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 10:40am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I was doing a middle school game today. The Visiting team had an 80 point lead, no jokes, it was literally 80 points. Now the league has a fall back rule after 20 points, but no real penalty. Now for some reason they didn't understand that they had to fall back. So after telling them to get back a few times I decided that if they made any contact in the backcourt I'd call an intentional foul. Because under the rules they can't legally make a move for the ball, so any contact must be intentional. Now after I made this decision in my head and informed my parter how we'd be handling it. They got the point of the fall back rule. Now my question is, how do you guys handle it in your area?? What penalties do you assess if any??
I haven't done MS games in a while, but what is wrong with stopping the game, getting both coaches and having a little review of the "fall back" rule. If they don't understand, help them understand.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stripes
Quote:
[i]

I haven't done MS games in a while, but what is wrong with stopping the game, getting both coaches and having a little review of the "fall back" rule. If they don't understand, help them understand.
In a JHS Game (girls), we simply blow the whistle and have the team inbound the ball again. At that age level, it may happen several times during the game. After both teams have played six games, they are permitted to press during the second half. What a disaster!

Our Girl's Association, has also made a point of NOT enforcing the no man-to-man (even though it's girls) rule. If there is a problem we are simply told to have the coaches work it out.

Why do I still do JHS? I have to admit, that I enjoy helping the kids learn the game (preventative officiating, explaining violations, and never coaching them).