The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

I had a game tonight (BJV) and a situation occurred with the starting "star" point guard on the home team. He is dribbling down the court for a fastbreak layup, but a very athletic player on the visiting team caught up and cleanly blocked his shot. The home player walks over to the padded part of the wall behind the basket and gives it a big kick. Would you give a T for unsportsmanlike conduct in this situation? Or would you let it go because he *might* just be mad at himself for missing a layup?

Later in the game the visiting coach is down by 2 toward the end of the game at a time out when the table calls me over. The scorekeeper was checking the books, and according to his records, the home team was down by 4. We informed the coaches of this and the visiting coach went ballistic. He started accusing the scorekeeper of only volunteering for that job so he could cheat to help that team win. I thought (very quickly) that the scorekeeper was technically a member of the officiating crew, and that the coach was questioning his integrity, so I gave him a T. He went and sat back down, but spent the rest of the game staring at me. What would you have done in this situation? Any feedback on both situations is appreciated.

Sara
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
The first one I wouldent have gave a T, for he was more than likely just mad at his self. I would have told him to watch how he acts.

The scond one is a T.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

wait, did it go from visitor down by 2 to visitor down by 4?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by totalnewbie
What's the difference how the score changed?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Were there 2 books?

If yes, what did the visitor's book have for a score?

When/how did the error happen?

Did you or your partner check the score at the half?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
The origional post had the score going from home +2 to home -4, of course coach B should not go crazy under those circumstances.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Quote:
The origional post had the score going from home +2 to home -4, of course coach B should not go crazy under those circumstances.
That's what went through my mind, but anyways,

For the first situation I'd warn the kid.

For the second sitch, I'd T the coach.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Quote:
That's what went through my mind, but anyways,

For the first situation I'd warn the kid.

For the second sitch, I'd T the coach.
Why the difference?

Each coach knows the official book is THE score.

It's up to the visiting coach to have someone at the table. Why does he get to act like a jerk because he doesn't know the real score?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Just FYI on the 'official book is the SCORE' comment. I watched a situation in a tournament that I worked. Player A1 'fouls out' and this is questioned by A's coach, vigorously. In fact, he had questioned it when A got his fourth foul. The officials talked to his scorekeeper, the book on the opposing bench and the radio announcers at courtside. All had it as the kids 4th foul, but the officials stuck with the official book and fouled him out. They requested an interpretation from our state association (KS) and were told that this could constitute 'knowledge' enough to change the decision and have him stay in the game provided both coaches could agree that a mistake had been made.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
I had a game tonight (BJV) and a situation occurred with the starting "star" point guard on the home team. He is dribbling down the court for a fastbreak layup, but a very athletic player on the visiting team caught up and cleanly blocked his shot. The home player walks over to the padded part of the wall behind the basket and gives it a big kick. Would you give a T for unsportsmanlike conduct in this situation? Or would you let it go because he *might* just be mad at himself for missing a layup?
I think it all depends on when and how hard this player did this. My first reaction is not to give a T if that kid has not been a problem most of the game. If I had to warn this kid at some other time in the game I would not have probably been more likely to give a T. It really just depends on the tone of the game and the actions of all the participants.

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
Later in the game the visiting coach is down by 2 toward the end of the game at a time out when the table calls me over. The scorekeeper was checking the books, and according to his records, the home team was down by 4. We informed the coaches of this and the visiting coach went ballistic. He started accusing the scorekeeper of only volunteering for that job so he could cheat to help that team win. I thought (very quickly) that the scorekeeper was technically a member of the officiating crew, and that the coach was questioning his integrity, so I gave him a T. He went and sat back down, but spent the rest of the game staring at me. What would you have done in this situation? Any feedback on both situations is appreciated.
I would not have given a T for that. I understand the coach would be rather out of line, but I would not give a T for that comment alone. I would first confer with both books and make sure where the mistake is. If the home book felt they made a mistake and wanted to change something, I will leave that up to them. But I am not going make changes to the book unless I or my partners have definitive knowledge of a mistake. I would just go with the home book and would bring the coaches together and explain it. I would more than likely warn the coaches for further behavior and comments, but not an automatic T. At least that is how I have handled it in the past.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

To clarify:

The visitors went from down 2 points to down 4 points

We checked the home book and visitor book at halftime. Everything fit. Both agreed at time of technical that visitor was really down 4, and that the scoreboard, which displayed down 2, was wrong.

I warned the coach once that he needed to sit down and stop shouting. I figured that was enough and gave the T.

I did not give a T to the player, but afterwards was thinking that maybe I should have. I just warned him.

I just got a call from my assignor, saying the coach through another postgame fit, calling me "unprofessional, inconsistent and constantly out of position." However, he said this coach always says that about the officials when he gets a technical. Turns out I have another game with that coach this weekend. Assignor warned me that he is known to hold grudges and will most likely try to cause a problem. Great.

Sara
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Dont let some jerk get to you, just let it go, even if it is hard. Go to the game, dont be bias, and call the game as nothing has happened.

Brandan
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
To clarify:

We checked the home book and visitor book at halftime. Everything fit. Both agreed at time of technical that visitor was really down 4, and that the scoreboard, which displayed down 2, was wrong.

I warned the coach once that he needed to sit down and stop shouting. I figured that was enough and gave the T.

I did not give a T to the player, but afterwards was thinking that maybe I should have. I just warned him.

I just got a call from my assignor, saying the coach through another postgame fit, calling me "unprofessional, inconsistent and constantly out of position." However, he said this coach always says that about the officials when he gets a technical. Turns out I have another game with that coach this weekend. Assignor warned me that he is known to hold grudges and will most likely try to cause a problem. Great.
He might be going to the game with a grudge against you, but don't do the same. Start the guy off with a clean slate, but keep him on a tight leesh. Warn him at the first sign of problems and back up your warnings with the appropriate penalties.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 11:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
Turns out I have another game with that coach this weekend. Assignor warned me that he is known to hold grudges and will most likely try to cause a problem. Great.
You should get excited about that. Just go there and be totally professional and kill him with kindness. You understand what you are up against and at least you know. Tell your partners what happen so they are not caught off guard and let it ride. I have had a similar situation to me. I just smile and call my game.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
To clarify:

Okay, last piece of advice.

Don't use phrases like, "Sit down and stop shouting," or "I don't want to hear another word," when handling coaches.

Stick to, "Coach I need you in the box," or "I've heard enough coach." The enough is best used with the stop sign, so everyone sees that you have calmly dealt with the situation.