The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 12:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

I called another one tonight. Second of the season, this one in a girls' varsity game.

Visiting coach is shouting "travel," "over-the-back," "three-seconds" anything he can think of to try to buy a call.

He screams for a travel just as partner calls one from right in front of him. Partner talks to the coach and tells him (nicely) to knock it off as it looked liek the coach prompted the whistle. Coach is belligerent about it and tells my partner that "I have the right to talk and question calls." Partner gets nowhere with him and the game continues.

A bit later partner has the same conversation with the coach at the start of a timeout. Partner says that we'd heard enough of him shouting at us -- we'd be glad to talk to him in a civilized tone.

Guess coach felt that he used up all my partner's rope but he still had all mine to work on. After partner rightly no-calls a potential backcourt situation (B was the first to touch a loose ball in the backcourt although A put it there and A came away with it) coach starts questioning it.

Then, as the ball starts up the other way he starts on me. I quickly told him that we had heard enough of him calling the game. He quickly came back with something and I whacked him.

He couldn't BELIEVE I had called a technical on him. But that was pretty much the last I heard from him the rest of the game and the technical was right at the start of the second quarter.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Your partner probably should have gotten him when he was belligerent the first time, and definitely the second time.

By the time you got him your partner had warned him twice and you warned him once, and that is two too many, IMO.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I called another one tonight. Second of the season, this one in a girls' varsity game.

He couldn't BELIEVE I had called a technical on him.
Now that sounds like a typical coach. What did I do??

Your partner should have spared you the trouble. One warning is all it should take.

Thanks
DAvid
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 01:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Your partner probably should have gotten him when he was belligerent the first time, and definitely the second time.

By the time you got him your partner had warned him twice and you warned him once, and that is two too many, IMO.
I'm a nice guy, what can I say? I agree that maybe my partner should've given him the ole' Heisman the first time around, but he didn't so he wanted to make sure he talked with him before ringing him up.

I can't help it -- most coaches can be talked to and reasoned with at the varsity level and therefore some that can't be reasoned with get a little more rope than they should get. I'd rather it be that way -- when I write the report, it's clear that we gave him the rope, but he built the noose and slipped inside.

Truth is, most varsity coaches around know how to act, so it's a bit surprising when we get one that doesn't.

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Feb 1st, 2005 at 01:09 AM]
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

I'm a nice guy, what can I say? I agree that maybe my partner should've given him the ole' Heisman the first time around, but he didn't so he wanted to make sure he talked with him before ringing him up.

I can't help it -- most coaches can be talked to and reasoned with at the varsity level and therefore some that can't be reasoned with get a little more rope than they should get. I'd rather it be that way -- when I write the report, it's clear that we gave him the rope, but he built the noose and slipped inside.

Truth is, most varsity coaches around know how to act, so it's a bit surprising when we get one that doesn't.

The only problem is when that happens in a close game and you give them the slack and the noose finally cracks when it hurts the most, late with the game on the line.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 01:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The only problem is when that happens in a close game and you give them the slack and the noose finally cracks when it hurts the most, late with the game on the line.
Hey, BZ -- he got the technical in the first minute of the second quarter. Maybe my slack really isn't that great after all. Honestly, I can't ever remember calling a technical in 18 years in the fourth quarter (or later) of a game.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Rich-

Have you ever discussed T'ing in a pregame? How about at half time?

I just whacked my first coach last saturday. My partner and I discussed how to deal with him in the second half at halftime (we hadnt yet rung him up). I found that helpful.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Clark
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey, BZ -- he got the technical in the first minute of the second quarter. Maybe my slack really isn't that great after all. Honestly, I can't ever remember calling a technical in 18 years in the fourth quarter (or later) of a game.
Of course you may also find yourself stuck, not giving a T because it is late, and losing sleep wishing you had handled it better early.

Keep in mind that I'm not being critical of you, just looking at the situation in general, for those without 18 years under their belt.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by totalnewbie
Rich-

Have you ever discussed T'ing in a pregame? How about at half time?

I just whacked my first coach last saturday. My partner and I discussed how to deal with him in the second half at halftime (we hadnt yet rung him up). I found that helpful.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Clark
Anytime you have talked to or warned a coach or player(s) your partner(s) should know at the earliest possible time.

How you handle giving warnings, communicating warnings that have been given, and enforcing them should all be a part of your pregame.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

I wish.

I'm lucky to get a partner that wants to have any pregame.

When I have gotten to be R I try to do a pregame, but usually I am just waiting for my partner. And then it is "yeah, yeah, yeah." I have had a few real good pregames when I get a squared away partner. Those are the best. For me, as a newbie, it helps me and it gets me in the basketball frame of mind so that it doesnt take me 5 plays before I am focused and in the zone.

What, exactly, do you put in your pregame about Ts? For my information...if you dont mind.

Clark
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Warnings, what will earn one, how we will communicate after giving one, how we will follow up on those warnings.

Technicals, what is automatic, what we will do as a crew after giving a T, who will administer the FTs, who will talk to the coach, how to remain calm and regain focus, coach/player managment post T, double Ts and player managment/fight control.

Doing the lower level games can make pregames tough, do the best you can before you go on the floor. Cheat a bit during warm ups and sneak in some more then. Get together at timeouts to deal with in game stuff and game situations, and fully use the half to get on the same page.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 07:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Coach is belligerent about it and tells my partner that "I have the right to talk and question calls." Partner gets nowhere with him and the game continues.

Right there is probably the biggest misconception that coaches have about the rules. They sureashell do not have the "right" to question calls and they never have had that right. It's been a "T" forever. When they come out with a stoopid statement like that, they oughta be straightened out immediately.

Rule 10-4-1(b)-"Bench personnel shall not attempt to influence an official's decisions.

For any coaches reading this--you're taking your chances if you wanna continually try to "work" an official. Don't whine if you get nailed. And remember, the rule doesn't provide for a warning either. You usually get a warning only because we're such nice people.

Edited to add: "Btw, good "T", Rich. That may help the next set of officials that have to put up with this goof".

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 1st, 2005 at 07:22 AM]
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 09:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Of course you may also find yourself stuck, not giving a T because it is late, and losing sleep wishing you had handled it better early.

Keep in mind that I'm not being critical of you, just looking at the situation in general, for those without 18 years under their belt.
Nah, I always sleep well. At least I did before this baby came along.

Most people that get technicals exhibit the "required" behavior early.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by totalnewbie
I wish.

I'm lucky to get a partner that wants to have any pregame.

When I have gotten to be R I try to do a pregame, but usually I am just waiting for my partner. And then it is "yeah, yeah, yeah." I have had a few real good pregames when I get a squared away partner. Those are the best. For me, as a newbie, it helps me and it gets me in the basketball frame of mind so that it doesnt take me 5 plays before I am focused and in the zone.

What, exactly, do you put in your pregame about Ts? For my information...if you dont mind.

Clark
You talk about what to do if a T is warranted. First thing we talk about is if one of use ( 2-whistle or 3-whistle) warns a coach, s/he tells their partners that a warning has been issued. We also talk about how the T will be administered and what happens afterwards. We specifically talk about getting away from the coach if we feel it is necessary. If the coach is going ballistic, you do not need to be standing close to him/her. If the T is issued, one of the none-calling officials needs to remind the coach that they are seatbelted for the remainder of the game.