The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Probably and silly question but...

After the time expires and half time starts, a technical foul is called on team A. 2 shots and possesion right? So the shots are both made. The second half starts with an argument over who gets the ball since the posession arrow is for Team B. does the posession from the technical foul carry over to the 2nd half for Team A to get possesion? We ruled that it did not and gave possesion to Team B.

Right or Wrong.

Thanks
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 05:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

B shoots 2 shots to begin the second half. They also get the ball as a result of the technical foul.

The arrow remains unchanged.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 05:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bmiller

After the time expires and half time starts, a technical foul is called on team A.

What was the team technical foul for? Usually it'a a player or coach who gets one for yapping.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 05:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Probably and silly question but...

After the time expires and half time starts, a technical foul is called on team A. 2 shots and possesion right? So the shots are both made. The second half starts with an argument over who gets the ball since the posession arrow is for Team B. does the posession from the technical foul carry over to the 2nd half for Team A to get possesion? We ruled that it did not and gave possesion to Team B.

Right or Wrong.

Thanks
bmiller,

Welcome to the forum.

For what it is worth, and for the back of your mind:
  • The arrow is used only when the next throw-in is undetermined.
    In your sitch we already know who has the next throw-in, so we do not need to use the arrow.
    mick
    Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 05:54pm
    Official Forum Member

would you still switch the arrow. I am not sure if the switched the arrow before calling the T or not.

I do realize that Team B would get the throw in to start the half, but what if they were also suppose to get the throw in to start the half. Would they still have the arrow on the next held ball situation?
    Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 06:12pm
    Official Forum Member

Yes, you could have a situation where B could get possesion to start the half (as in after the shots for the "T") and still have the arrow in their possesion. The "T" is an administrative action that does not negate the arrow direction.
    Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 07:13pm
    Official Forum Member

Smile

can't keep their mouth shut. Can't say I'm not the same when on the other side of the whistle unfortunately
    Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 07:30pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    can't keep their mouth shut. Can't say I'm not the same when on the other side of the whistle unfortunately
    The point I was gonna make then was that if you called the half-time "T" on a team member or a coach, then it isn't a team technical foul. The technical foul is charged directly to the team member or coach who yapped, and if that person is other than the head coach, then the head coach gets charged with an indirect "T" also. The direct "T" also counts towards the bonus in the second half.
    Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 08:30am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Redhouse
    would you still switch the arrow. I am not sure if the switched the arrow before calling the T or not.

I do realize that Team B would get the throw in to start the half, but what if they were also suppose to get the throw in to start the half. Would they still have the arrow on the next held ball situation?
    No, do not switch the arrow.

As Mick said the arrow is used when you have not determined who gets the throw in.

When a T starts the quarter or half then the shooting team gets the throw in at mid court.

Has nothing to do with the AP.
    Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 11:51am
    Official Forum Member

Thumbs up "Undetermined" ...I Like That One

Well put Mick. I'll have to incorporate that terminology in my sharing with "newer" officials in my area.
    Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 12:41pm
    Official Forum Member

I want to make sure that I understand this correctly.

In this situation I am still going to the table at halftime and switching the arrow like I would do at any other halftime, correct?

Because I do not know if the officials called this Technical before or after they had done their normal table administation, checking score, switching arrow, making sure everything is correct before leaving for the lockeroom.
    Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 01:14pm
    Official Forum Member

How do you communicate this to the table so they don't switch the indicator?
    Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 01:21pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Originally posted by Jimgolf
    How do you communicate this to the table so they don't switch the indicator?
    Loudly.
    Firmly.
    Politely.
    Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 01:33pm
    Official Forum Member

What about this situation? Held ball is called and the coach for team A disagrees and loudly protests the call and receives a T. Will the possession arrow change when the ball is inbounded after the technical foul shots?
    Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 02:01pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Originally posted by lds7199
    What about this situation? Held ball is called and the coach for team A disagrees and loudly protests the call and receives a T. Will the possession arrow change when the ball is inbounded after the technical foul shots?
    Nope, the penalty for the T includes possession for the non-offending team. Arrow doesn't change.