The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 05:25pm
M.A.S.H.

The Stars and Stripes now graces the right shoulder of every Soldier in uniform. The U.S. Flag Code calls for the canton, the rectangle with the stars, to be positioned to the left as the flag is viewed. So why is it reversed on the flags we wear on our uniforms?

The tradition originates from the time when cavalry and infantry units had standard bearers, who carried the colors into battle. During the charge, the standard bearer's forward momentum caused the flag to stream backward. The canton, which flies closest to the pole, appeared on the right when seen from the right side of the passing formation.

Source: Illinois Guardian, Fall-Winter 2004
--------------------------------------------
So there's the reason why you wear a reversed flag on your right sleeve.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Right on Tanner! Stars go into battle. I order right-sleeved flag from our police supplier. You wouldn't believe how many times I am asked by kids in the front row, "hey ref, why is your flag backwards?". To top it off, MLB has left sleeved flags on their right shoulders on the warm-up jackets. But hey, they try to patriotic with the whole God Bless America thing. A real pet peeve of mine!
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:11pm
M.A.S.H.

One of my pet peeves too.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Why would you expect non-military types to know this? If I was going to buy a flag patch, I would just buy a friggin' flag patch. Are you saying it's non-patriotic if you wear a flag with the blue part on the left if it's on your right friggin' arm? How silly...
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:19pm
M.A.S.H.

Of course not, just saying that if it's going to be done, why not do it right. Most catalogs state it's for the left sleeve.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Seriously...I would bet the vast majority of non-military people have no clue that there's a flag fashion rule. You can't possibly expect people to know this. I don't even know why I'm talking about it. I am bored at work...
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Its not necessarily unpatriotic but it is certainly improper. If you're going to wear a flag you should wear it correctly. You don't have to be in the military to know this, you don't even have to know why it is like that, I think the rule is anytime on a moving object the blue should be to the front.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Seriously...I would bet the vast majority of non-military people have no clue that there's a flag fashion rule. You can't possibly expect people to know this. I don't even know why I'm talking about it. I am bored at work...
It was covered when I was in grade school. And, while I certainly don't remember all the specifics, I *do* know there is a "flag code" and I'll be able to look something up if I need to.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
It was covered when I was in grade school. And, while I certainly don't remember all the specifics, I *do* know there is a "flag code" and I'll be able to look something up if I need to.
Guess I was absent that day. I never heard of it till someone mentioned it in this forum. Doesn't matter anyway, I don't wear a flag patch or plan on wearing one unless the association requires it someday.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 01:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

The flags I wear for my football crew, we bought at a uniform shop. This store put them on and said nothing about how they were to be worn. They never stated to us what the regulation is or if we violated any rules. Come to find out they are facing the wrong way. How in the hell would anyone know that. This is a uniform store that sells stuff for police and fire departments.

This is why in basketball I just do not wear flags. Not everyone wears them and it does not prove anything. Just one more thing to worry about.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

This is why in basketball I just do not wear flags. Not everyone wears them and it does not prove anything. Just one more thing to worry about.

Peace
Jeff, it's because of people like you that I have to carry 1 shirt with a flag and 1 shirt without a flag in my bag! You too Smitty!!

btw, I do notice there are fewer people wearing them these days.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Jeff, it's because of people like you that I have to carry 1 shirt with a flag and 1 shirt without a flag in my bag! You too Smitty!!

No that is because you want to drive yourself crazy trying to match your partner. And here we work 3 Person for most varsity games. I would rather not wear the flag. There is no mandate to wear a flag in my state. It is totally optional. Just like who wears pleated pants and the western front pants. All that is required is the pants and the color, not the style.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Peace

I don't wear a flag for the same reason I don't have one of those yellow ribbon magnets on my car that says "Support Our Troops". I support our troops and my country without the desire to advertise it. And besides, it's hard enough to get my wife to sew on the velcro for my state patch. Asking her to sew on something else would only be bad for me in the long run.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Flag

The flag is a very powerful symbol. If you don't know the rules about the flag the Boy Scouts or the local American Legion can help. My personal favorites are the dirty, tattered, mud splattered flags on car radio antennas, local HS has the cheer squad for football stand on the field holding this car lot sized flag. Everyone sings, has deep thoughts and then the girls crumple it up and throw it in the back of a maintnance cart-where it sits, rain or shine, for the rest of the night. If you are going to play with flags learn some of the rules , please-its patriotic.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

While discussing cultural differences, I had a British person once comment to me that the Queen is the enduring symbol of their nation, and the flag seems to be the enduring symbol of ours. I had to agree. Presidents, politicians, policies and all the rest have come and gone, and the flag remains as the universally recognizable symbol of the USA. That's why folks spend so much time burning it, they're symbolically destroying us as a nation.

As a young man growing up, and also as a boy scout, I was taught about the symbolism of the flag. I was also taught that there were right and wrong ways to display it. I would not condemn another person for displaying it incorrectly. But I feel that as a citizen of this country, you owe it to yourself to understand the symbolism of the flag and to educate yourself about how to properly display it. To purposely show respect for the flag, is to purposely show your respect for our country.

Off my soapbox now