The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Boys JV, early in game, A1 shoots from left block, ball kind of balances on rim and flange but still moving eventually falls in. While ball is on the rim, A2 pushes B2 in back. I'm Trail, call the foul and wave off basket, and designate B ball on baseline. No complaint from either coach but partner (much senior/experienced) grabs me during next timeout and told me that we should have counted the basket. He kind of shook my confidence in my understanding of rule, and at research during half time he said that rule 6-7-7 was insufficiently specific to support my call. The way I read the rule and accompanying exceptions my call is correct because the exceptions in 6-7 do not permit the ball to remain live in the situation above. 1. Was I correct? 2. If so, is there a more specific explanation anywhere?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

No, you weren't correct.

The only foul that causes a try in flight to become dead is a player control foul. You should have read the exception for 6-7-7.

EXCEPTION: The ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when:

1. Article 5, 6, or 7 occurs while a try or tap for a field goal is in flight.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

SECTION 7 DEAD BALL
The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when:
ART. 1 . . . A goal, as in 5-1, is made.
ART. 2 . . . It is apparent the free throw will not be successful on a:

a. Free throw which is to be followed by another free throw.
b. Free throw which is to be followed by a throw-in.

ART. 3 . . . A held ball occurs, or the ball lodges between the backboard and ring or comes to rest on the flange.

ART. 4 . . . A player-control foul occurs.

ART. 5 . . . An official's whistle is blown (see exception below).

ART. 6 . . . Time expires for a quarter or extra period (see exception below).

ART. 7 . . . A foul occurs (see exception below).

ART. 8 . . . A free-throw violation by the throwing team, as in 9-1, occurs.

ART. 9 . . . A violation, as in 9-2 through 13, occurs (see exception below).

EXCEPTION: The ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when:

1. Article 5, 6, or 7 occurs while a try or tap for a field goal is in flight.
2. Article 5 or 7 occurs while a try for a free throw is in flight.
3. A foul is committed by any opponent of a player who has started a try or tap for goal (is in the act of shooting) before the foul occurred, provided time did not expire before the ball was in flight. The trying motion must be continuous and begins after the ball comes to rest in the player's hand(s) on a try or touches the hand(s) on a tap, and is completed when the ball is clearly in flight. The trying motion may include arm, foot or body movements used by the player when throwing the ball at his/her basket.

4. An excessively swinging arm(s) or elbow(s) violation occurs by an opponent without making contact.

NOTE: If A1's try or tap is legally touched in flight, the goal counts if made, if the horn sounds before or after the legal touching. If the touching is interference or goaltending by A, no points are scored. If B violates, the points are awarded - either two or three depending on whether it was a two or three-point try or tap.