Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 05:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
[/B]
[/B][/QUOTE]The gene that supresses male-bonding behavior is on the "missing leg" that they get and we don't. Not sure who got robbed on that one. [/B][/QUOTE]Dan got robbed. Big time.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

kudos

I do appreciate it when other officials take a stand and make a tuff call like that. You do make it easier for those that come behind you.

Maybe this coach will realize now that he cannot say anything that he wants and get away with it.

BTW, I am just trying to imagine you yelling at this guy. I know nothing about you except that you are a female and I think that this coach was a male until you got ahold of him.

I am trying to think of the appropriate way to ask this question. Oh well here goes, Was this coach a lot bigger than you. If so what was the expression like on his face when you were hollering at him. I am not sure if you are a small petite person or not. If you are that would be awesome if you were hollering at a big man and he went running away with his tail between his legs.

Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Well, it's 5th grade boys, so the tolerance level with idiot coaches would be a lot lower, but I guess I would be in the minority of this group with the flagrant technical on the coach. I certainly agree with the technical, but I'm also of the opinion to give the guy enough rope to hang himself. He either sits down and shuts up (unlikely) or does something stupid and gets the second technical foul, presenting the perception that the coach earned the ejection more than he did by having the one techincal adjudged to be flagrant. I know your heart and mind are in the right place rainmaker, but that just how I would have handled it because I'm sure there's a greater than 50% chance I would've chased him minutes later.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 06:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Juulie,
Good job. His comments were inflammatory and inciteful. If you felt (and you did) that they were too far over the top, "Bye bye."
You realize you jinxed me, now, though?
Yesterday in a 7th grade girls tourney, I had a howler monkey for white. I can't even remember who was ahead, but he'd complained about a no call earlier. White 34 is guarding the inbounds after a basket, and they get the ball into red. White 34 gets over to her, balls up her fist, and swipes at the ball. She missed and popped her in the chest instead. I call a simple common foul, but take a second to warn her that she was pushing a technical by using her fist.
Coach chirps, 'That was a no call down there and you call this touch foul?"
I bark back, "Coach, she punched her in the chest with her fist. If I hear one more word." I stopped myself there. I don't like the way I did it, for a couple of reasons. But it worked. I didn't hear a peep from him the rest of the game.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: kudos

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
BTW, I am just trying to imagine you yelling at this guy. I know nothing about you except that you are a female and I think that this coach was a male until you got ahold of him.

I am trying to think of the appropriate way to ask this question. Oh well here goes, Was this coach a lot bigger than you. If so what was the expression like on his face when you were hollering at him. I am not sure if you are a small petite person or not. If you are that would be awesome if you were hollering at a big man and he went running away with his tail between his legs.

I'm not petite. Never have been. I was conceived large. Also, the coach was sitting down. And I was loud. I can BOOM when necessary. He wasn't as big as me anyway, so I expect I did sort of intimidate him. i caught myself as I was leaning over, noses about 18 inches or less apart. I backed off when I realized the sitch, and then turned my back "to find the site administrator". When I finally turned around, he was gone.

I just wish the parents had seen the whole play for what it was. Can't imagine wanting to put a kid on his team.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Juulie,

I had to go back to the your initial question/comment to remind myself what kind of feedback you might have been looking for.

Understanding it is a lowel level game and the leash is shorter etc., I was still surprised to hear you got in his face and raised your voice. We are all aware of the Caveat: "I wasn't there, you were". Still its seems like that would have been a great opportunity to practice holding the temper and not sinking to the perpetrator's level.

I do agree with the assesment of the T as flagrant--I'm with you on that one. Was it possible to asses it while maintaining decorum and still achieve the same results?

Did you get any feedback from your partner, or any other official who might have been on site? Or any other knowledgeable person?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
Still its seems like that would have been a great opportunity to practice holding the temper and not sinking to the perpetrator's level.

I do agree with the assesment of the T as flagrant--I'm with you on that one. Was it possible to asses it while maintaining decorum and still achieve the same results?
Partner didnt' say a word. But he was pretty busy the whole game making eyes at his girlfriend who was watching. I mean, he did a decent job, but his first attention wasn't in the game.

David, you're right about a chance to practice. I was ashamed as soon as I saw myself nose to nose with this jerk. And it didn't last long. I extricated myself pretty quickly.

But the point to the thread was that Tony had said somethings he wished he hadn't, and the very next day, I did the same thing. And from the sounds of the posts today, I also passed the jinx along to Adam!

Live and learn. Next time I'll do better.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
Still its seems like that would have been a great opportunity to practice holding the temper and not sinking to the perpetrator's level.

Partner didnt' say a word. But he was pretty busy the whole game making eyes at his girlfriend who was watching. I mean, he did a decent job, but his first attention wasn't in the game.

David, you're right about a chance to practice. I was ashamed as soon as I saw myself nose to nose with this jerk. And it didn't last long. I extricated myself pretty quickly.

But the point to the thread was that Tony had said somethings he wished he hadn't, and the very next day, I did the same thing. And from the sounds of the posts today, I also passed the jinx along to Adam!

Live and learn. Next time I'll do better.
Juulie, I gotcha. But, it sounds like you may have said the right things but maybe NOT just the way you might have wished you had.

If we've done enough games, we've all been there (I know I have). The long standing hope is that none of us repeat the same mistakes--right? And best of all, we HOPE we are able to learn from others mistakes--they seem to be less painful.