The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Girls Varsity game last night. I am T table side and call A1 out of bounds in the front court (1st half). As I head down court Coach A says That wasn't a foul she was pushed out. She may have been (it was close) but I really didn't see the push. I said "Coach, I didn't see her get pushed. I saw here step out". His reply was "Do you want to see the tape? I can show you the tape and you can see where she pushed her out." WHACK. I gave him a T. Both partners agreed that was over the line. What do you think?
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

"Absolutely coach, send me the tape, if I missed it I'll apologize, but I didn't see a push there."

No T here, whether he actually sends you the tape or not is another thing, if he does and you were wrong, nothing wrong with admitting it.

And maybe he was out of line, tough to tell without being there, but the above quote may be good, especially if you werent sure if you got the call right or not.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

You opened yourself up for a reply like that because of the, "I did not see," line.

Coach: "That was not a foul, she got pushed out?"

You: "Coach I had her on the line BEFORE the contact."

Or

You: "It was close coach, but she stepped out first."

The coach gets his say, you explain the call and you acknowledge that you saw it ALMOST the same way that he did.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 11:44am
M.A.S.H.

Probably not a T. Depends on his tone and if he made a butt out of himself. However, I'd say that if he came all the way to halfcourt to do this, then it would have cost him.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

I agree with paxson here. This appears to me that you were overly sensitive. Use good game management skills and say 'ok, coach I would be glad to look at the tape, perhaps I missed it, we need to move past that play now and work hard for the rest of the game'
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

I appreciate the input and will try and think more next time. However, I will add that when I called the T he made absolutely no argument and was no problem the rest of the game. I wnated some input and I questioned myself but I think he knew he was at least close to being out of line on that comment. Also, it's a real small gym and a number of home fans (he was the home coach) heard it. They were on us most of the night but, strangely, I got no comments from them on the T. I will still try and do it different next time, though.

BZ, Thanks for your input. I think that approach is much better than what I said.