The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

first the question...3 person, who has the shot at the end of a quarter???

now for the coach...tonite 8th grade boys a and b games. B game is ugly basketball but competitive game. The A game is going along not as competitive but a little better basketball...before the game the home coach mentions that this game should be fairly comptetitive, but that the fans get a little too involved, and to just be aware. No real problems and the game goes along. With 31 seconds left in the game, a 12 pt game in favor of the visitors, the timer doesn't start the clock. The timers and bookkeeper are volunteer 8th grade girls...well anyway, I see the clock isn't started, and I hear a fan yelling about it...we soon have a foul called, and the fan continues to point out that the clock didn't start. During a couple dead balls the home coach had reminded my partners that the crowd could be beligerent and not to listen to them, and have them removed if they got that far. During the dead ball this idiot continues to yell that the clock didn't start....he is a visiting fan who's team is winning by 12, and he is berating the clock crew...during the dead ball I tell him "hey, leave them alone, they are volunteers. " to which i receive "tell them to start the god**mn clock"...I say ok that is enough, tell him you need to leave then ask game management to remove the gentleman. In the interem, he incites the crowd about his ejection...while we are at the table talking about how much time to take off, the home coach says, just call it, that fan's behavior is unacceptable (a visitors fan), we aren't going to play and justify this type of behavior.....I thought that it deserved a kudos....and granted I could have just let the guy stay, but an adult berating jur high girls volunteering time to run the clock and the book, well he just needs to leave the game and hopefully never return.....sorry for the long post....just wanted to say that our coaching brehteren, deserves a good word too.....
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Trail has the clock, but of course the C could also have it. Pregame would be the place to decide in which situation that the C might have the clock.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

thanks IREF

The problem was, we just had a guy join us after his game, in a different gym in the same school, just to work on some mechanics LOL
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 10:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
The Center or the Trail Official whoever is opposite the table at the time.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

JRUT,
that is what I thought, but I wasn't sure...
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Here's my question

If the clock did not start and you saw it, why not correct it there. Once you have a foul It may be too late.

Granted the guy was an idiot but if the clock had been corrected quickly, maybe he would not have been out of control..
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Kelvin the point of it was, his team is up by 12 and he is berating jr high girls running a clock, he is a dic**ead....
and the coach, said call it, that sort of behavior is unacceptable...
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Peace
Exactly, unless you've pregamed otherwise, for some reason.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I see the clock isn't started, and I hear a fan yelling about it...we soon have a foul called
I'm with Kelvin on this one.
How soon after you knew the clock was not running did you have a foul?
Was it immediately?
If not, you should have blown your whistle and got the clock situation fixed...maybe, that's what you did?
BTW, good job having the jerk fan removed.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:

Peace
Exactly, unless you've pregamed otherwise, for some reason.
...and that "reason" may be because the L on a transition has the lay-up at the buzzer while the opposite table official is still in back court...agree Tony?
Richland, WA
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 12:14am
Do not give a damn!!

I never have seen a point to make the lead the person that has the last second shot. Having the last second shot does not mean you will know for sure what happens. It means you are the person that makes the signal. If you are in transition and the Lead has the best look, the Center or Trail should go to the Lead for help. But I cannot ever advocate the Lead signaling one way or another on whether a shot is good or not. I see too many things that can go wrong if you use that variable.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I never have seen a point to make the lead the person that has the last second shot. Having the last second shot does not mean you will know for sure what happens. It means you are the person that makes the signal. If you are in transition and the Lead has the best look, the Center or Trail should go to the Lead for help. But I cannot ever advocate the Lead signaling one way or another on whether a shot is good or not. I see too many things that can go wrong if you use that variable.

Peace
Actually had this happen a few years ago...when we were doing 2-whistle.
Unfortunatley, we did not pre-game this...we always had T take the last second shot.
Well, this night we had a quick steal and a fast break going the other way. I was new L and running right with the play. I was right on top of it when the player took the last second shot...my partner was well behind the division line and had to guess. (His best guess he said)
You guessed it...he called it different than I called it.
It looked bad...and we heard about it from the crowd.
We got together and with my information had him "change" his call...he reported it and we went to half-time.
I struggled with weather or not I should have even signalled...it was instinct, since it was very, very close. In retrospect, I probably should have held and went to T with information...since we had not pre-gamed this.
After this incident...we pre-game that T in 2-whistle will have last second shot...or opposite table in 3-whistle...
unless, in transition the L has it if the other official is behind the division line.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The NFHS book gives it to the official opposite the table. However, check with your local association as to what you do in your area. In PA, we changed it to the C always having last shot--regardless of his position. I think it makes more sense as you'll avoid the problems mentioned above of having the T too deep on a press to get a good look.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Ball on end line going the other way with 1 second left, trail is opposite the table. Screening action on center's side of the court in the backcourt.

Long pass to the 3 point line in the frontcourt, how is the trail or center going to get a look at that shot?
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

I agree with everyone that the mechanic on a last second shot in 3 person is give it to "opposite". What I don't understand is why every shot clock situation the mechanic is "primary"? I don't see what the difference is, in both cases you are judging if the shot was out of the shooters hand before the horn. If primary is good enough for 39.59.9 minutes why change the mechanic on end of a period/half or game? Just seems funny and strange to me.