The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

B-Varsity game the other night. 2-man, I know we're still in the dark ages!! Team A is getting beat by 25 pts by team B. A's coach is all over us about everything. In one sequence I'm the trail and my partner is the lead. A is on offense and has the ball in the post. He gets double teamed and there was a lot of jostling but my partner doesn't make a call and I'm not tgoing to call anything right in front of him. A's coach is telling me (I was right by his bench)to switch spots with my partner!! Next time down my partner calls a shooting foul and I'm waiting to administer the free throws & I note my partner is talking with A's coach. My partner walks away then walks back, coach shakes his head, so my partner walks away, then repeat before my partner went into position. After the quarter ended I asked my partner watupwitdat? He says coach A wanted to talk but was being an a$$ about it. He went on to say that he'd have talked to him but would have to take a full TO. Coach A didn't want a TO, just to talk. My partner says if you want to talk you get a full TO, then we talk. Coach A said no TO just talk. My partner said if you don't want a TO I ain't talking to you. The whole ordeal lasted less than 10 seconds but I thought that was pretty good! Any thoughts on this?
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
If the coach is trying to take time up that could be spent playing talk to you, tell him to call a time out to talk and walk away and don't go back untill a timeout has been called.

If there is a dead ball and you happen to be there... and the coach is being nice about it...then talk to him, but once everyone is ready get back to the game.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

That's true and that's how I would have handled it. I'll talk to a coach if he treats me like an adult, not a second-class citizen. It's difficult in two-man because the official who reports the foul has to go opposite the bench after and should spend little, if any time discussing a call so the game doesn't slow down. I think my partner had enough of this guy's whining & wanted to make a point him (short of giving him a T) that he was acting like an a$$, without saying it in those words of course. We had no problems after that.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally posted by stick
That's true and that's how I would have handled it. I'll talk to a coach if he treats me like an adult, not a second-class citizen. It's difficult in two-man because the official who reports the foul has to go opposite the bench after and should spend little, if any time discussing a call so the game doesn't slow down. I think my partner had enough of this guy's whining & wanted to make a point him (short of giving him a T) that he was acting like an a$$, without saying it in those words of course. We had no problems after that.
Gotcha...Good Job
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
B-Varsity game the other night. 2-man, I know we're still in the dark ages!! Team A is getting beat by 25 pts by team B. A's coach is all over us about everything. In one sequence I'm the trail and my partner is the lead. A is on offense and has the ball in the post. He gets double teamed and there was a lot of jostling but my partner doesn't make a call and I'm not tgoing to call anything right in front of him. A's coach is telling me (I was right by his bench)to switch spots with my partner!! Next time down my partner calls a shooting foul and I'm waiting to administer the free throws & I note my partner is talking with A's coach.
Did he ask him to switch spots with you?
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's difficult in two-man because the official who reports the foul has to go opposite the bench after
I wasn't aware of this mechanic.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
Quote:
B-Varsity game the other night. 2-man, I know we're still in the dark ages!! Team A is getting beat by 25 pts by team B. A's coach is all over us about everything. In one sequence I'm the trail and my partner is the lead. A is on offense and has the ball in the post. He gets double teamed and there was a lot of jostling but my partner doesn't make a call and I'm not tgoing to call anything right in front of him. A's coach is telling me (I was right by his bench)to switch spots with my partner!! Next time down my partner calls a shooting foul and I'm waiting to administer the free throws & I note my partner is talking with A's coach.
Did he ask him to switch spots with you?
Yes the coach asked me to switch spots.