The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Last night in the ILL Wisc game, a travel violation was called on Wisc player outside the 3 point circle where everyone could see when he jumped with the ball intending to pass toward the key. While in the air he changed his option and threw to a player near the sideline before returning to the floor. It certainly appeared to me and the Wis bench that he released the ball before returning to the floor. Official blew the violation. Illinois inbounded and quickly turned the ball over without any score. Wisc lost only some time off the clock.

Assuming the call was incorrect, would anyone rule an inadverdant whistle at this point? Would it ever be done in a college game? Would your opinion change for lower levels like HS and Jr.HS?
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 02:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by finnref

Assuming the call was incorrect, would anyone rule an inadverdant whistle at this point? Would it ever be done in a college game? Would your opinion change for lower levels like HS and Jr.HS?
I wouldn't assume that the call was incorrect without getting an opinion from the calling official. He mighta saw something that we didn't. He also mighta had a different call than the one that we're assuming that he made.

Having said that, if I was that official and I realized when I blew the whistle that I also blew the call at the same time, then yes, I'd admit my mistake and treat it as an inadvertant whistle. I'd do the same at lower levels too.

You don't really want to end up doing this type of thing very often though. It shows one of the benefits of a patient whistle imo.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

With the benefit of the TV replay, the call of traveling was kicked by the official. Without the replay it still was not close to a travel for anyone but the calling official. In explaining to the offended coach he did tell the coach that his player touched the floor prior to release of the pass.

Not even 4 minutes later in the game a Wisconsin player receives a pass beyond the top of the key and takes three steps - no call. Actually there were 5 traveling violations called in that game and 2 no calls. Just goes to show you that even the D1 officials have a hard time with it.