The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SteveM
Talking

First time I've seen this at least at the IESA level. Did a regional championship last night, seventh grade boys and the AD gave my partner and myself forms for rating the visitors and home coaches/staff, players, and fans etc. As I was leaving he was taking those to fax to the IESA. A rating system of 1 to 5 was used, 5 being the lowest. Ratings of 4 or 5 had to have justifing remarks.

Has anyone seen this before where they work?

Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveM
First time I've seen this at least at the IESA level. Did a regional championship last night, seventh grade boys and the AD gave my partner and myself forms for rating the visitors and home coaches/staff, players, and fans etc. As I was leaving he was taking those to fax to the IESA. A rating system of 1 to 5 was used, 5 being the lowest. Ratings of 4 or 5 had to have justifing remarks.

Has anyone seen this before where they work?

We fill out sportsmanship forms for some of the leagues in our area, but we get them from the association, not from the school, and they are optional for us.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:35am
M.A.S.H.

Where were you at last night Steve? I didn't get one when I worked my game on Saturday. Oh well!
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

It was at Warrensburg-Latham and trust me you didn't miss much. Not a very good game at all and what a change from Monday nights V-Boys Little Okaw Valley tournament game I did.

The forms just took me by suprise since I hadn't ever filled one out that was directed by the IESA during these types of games. I am under the impression that this is a requirement for host schools now. The AD didn't tell me I "had" to fill it out but I think it would have been rude no to since he had been directed to fax it back ASAP.

Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

I had an individual school give a form out, but never a league. I filled it out immediately following the game (when I was very unhappy with their head coach) but I ended up not sending it because upon cooling down I thought I might have been too extreme in my comments. I think they're a great tool as long as their used. I regret not waiting until the next morning to fill it out a little more objectively.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:52am
M.A.S.H.

I didn't get one like I said. However, I still had to fill out paper work due to an unsportsmanlike conduct situation that occured.

[Edited by tjones1 on Jan 26th, 2005 at 11:55 AM]
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Come to think of it, I worked the first game of that same regional and didn't get one for that game. Anyway, I agree with Junker, great tool if we use it constructively. I've got an 8th grade boys regional championship game in Feb., lets see If I do one for that game.

And I thought the coaches were just being nice because I was doing such a "bang up" job.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:35pm
Ref Ump Welsch

In Iowa, we have to fill out a little booklet after each Varsity game, keeping track of the schools, rankings, etc. 1 is best and 5 is worse. We rate the coaches, players, and fans. At the end of the season, we transfer all that information onto a bubble sheet to be submitted to the IHSAA. If we don't get it in, they have a list they put out to the schools, and we get denied to work postseason the next year.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

In Iowa we do have the sportsmanship forms. The problem is (I think) that not everyone fills them out every night. The only incentive offered for doing them is that you are not considered for the tournament games if you haven't filled them out. I do not have a full varsity schedule yet this year, but I do fill out the forms when I work varsity. I wish they'd make it manditory. Just my opinion of course. Welsch, I'm sure we covered this before, but what part of the state to you work?
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 02:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

I really wish we would have that for out state. I think coaches and fans are getting out of hand. We have a way to reward schools and the participants for good sportsmanship, but we should have a way to evaluate bad sportsmanship without have to fill something out on the same form that is used for ejections.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Here (in Kansas City) we fill out those forms after varsity games. It's kinda nice to be able to fill out a form for something other than US behavior.

Sara