The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I guess I take for granted the tables we have in our area for the high schools. I did a JC double header last night and we had to stop the game no less than 20 times throughout the night to fix the book or the shot clock or someone lost their cat or they broke a nail or . . .
The good thing was we were all completely focused for 4 hours and I for one will never take a good table for granted again.
BTW - We had a guy jump to save a ball and completely wiped out everything at the scorers table. It sounds funny but we didn't have any problems after that. Maybe they just needed to get their hearts started.
Any good table stories?
TR
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 12:45pm
M.A.S.H.

I've told mine before, but I'll tell it again. Happened this year and it's an instant classic. Basically, I called a double foul and the person doing the book obviously didn't know what that was or pay attention to me. So I reported it (both numbers) and she's like "What'd you call" and I said a double foul. And she goes "well that's 5 on her then." And I said no wait, double foul, then I repeated both numbers and we went on.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Late in a close game, home team is only up 3 or 4. We call a foul on B1, report it, and the table informs us that player is not in the book. Well, this player had been in and out of the game the whole time, not just a new player! Why did they wait until now to tell us?!? After several discussions, we figured out the scorekeeper had written the "home uniform" number, not the "visting uniform" number from the sheet the coach had provided. So, since it was a clerical error by the scorekeeper, we had them put the correct number in the book and continue without penalty. But it raised an interesting question afterwards - what if there was some chance the scorekeeper did this on purpose, and waited until a critical part in the game to "bring it to our attention" and give their team some free throws? I think in this case it was a legitimate error, but this did make us as a crew look bad with all the conversations, delays, etc. A good table won't necessarily make you look better, but a bad table WILL make you look bad.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

I had to have a clock operator replaced earlier this season - she simply couldn't understand why I wouldn't let her operate the clock & talk to her boyfriend on the cell phone at the same time.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

I totally agree with a table making you look BAD and not necessarily making look good.
We had 4 people foul out last night and we were told after the 1st free throw on all of them. At least they were consistent ;-p
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Three things.
Replaced shot clock operator. Thought clock got reset after each touch of the ball. Seriously, each touch.
Clock operator....cell phone, McD's, and back to the game because the phone call was "private"
Kid comes to the table to check in, The table has a curtain draped around it. He disappears into the stands when he fell into the table.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Boys JV game. Shot clock operator reset clock after defense tipped ball oob. I was the trail and saw 8 seconds before it was reset. Problem is shot clock only runs when game clock is running. I sure there is a way to reset to the 8 seconds but I didn't know how and no one else did either. I told both coaches I would count down the 8 seconds myself. After inbounding the ball the shot got off in about 3 seconds so no problem. Would anyone handle differently?
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
Boys JV game. Shot clock operator reset clock after defense tipped ball oob. I was the trail and saw 8 seconds before it was reset. Problem is shot clock only runs when game clock is running. I sure there is a way to reset to the 8 seconds but I didn't know how and no one else did either. I told both coaches I would count down the 8 seconds myself. After inbounding the ball the shot got off in about 3 seconds so no problem. Would anyone handle differently?
That exact thing happened last night to me. It took them probably less than a minute to figure out how to correct it.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudly
Quote:
Originally posted by David M
That exact thing happened last night to me. It took them probably less than a minute to figure out how to correct it.
Dudly:

Your table is smarter than my table.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 02:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Add the required time to the game clock and run it down.