The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 06:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
The dribber can move any direction he wants and in any orientation unless the defender gets to the spot first and/or has LGP.

The shoulder being lowered is only a clue. If the defender is moving towards the dribbler at the time of contact, I'm still calling a block.

If the defender has LGP, PC.
What if the defender has a toe on an OOB line when the contact occurs?

Ignore that, Camron. Just funnin'. I know that you hate that rule.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
The dribber can move any direction he wants and in any orientation unless the defender gets to the spot first and/or has LGP.

The shoulder being lowered is only a clue. If the defender is moving towards the dribbler at the time of contact, I'm still calling a block.

If the defender has LGP, PC.
What if the defender has a toe on an OOB line when the contact occurs?

Ignore that, Camron. Just funnin'. I know that you hate that rule.
I'll abbrevieate my discussion on that point....

Done. That's about as brief as I can be on that point.

Seriously, I don't mind the rule so much. It's just that the written rule and the interpretation and the clarification are not consistent with each other. The rule talks only about the status of LGP with regards to being OOB while the interpretation/clarification talks about the definition of a block with regards to being OOB while nothing in the rule support this across the board.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
There is a big difference between lowering a shoulder and CONTACTING the defender. Most of the times I hear coaches or players saying this, there is no contact.

This is coachspeak much like "moving screen" is, we hear them asking for something that is not a foul without contact.
Bingo!

Yes the dribbler can lower his shoulder to get around a defender... if he gets that head and shoulders past the defender... then I've either got a no call or a blocking foul if the defender continues to move into the dribbler - because that is not legal guarding position.
I agree with you Tony. Specifically, if he gets head and shoulders past the TORSO of the defender. And I know this is stated in the rules somewhere, but I don't have my books with me right now.

I had this happen in a men's industrial league with a player complaining about my not calling PC when other team's player put their shoulders down and drove on them. I had to remind him of our pregame where I said let us do the officiating. Didn't happen in any of the varsity games I did (complaining, that is).
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

[quote]The dribber can move any direction he wants and in any orientation unless the defender gets to the spot first and/or has LGP.

[quote]

That is my point....even though the shoulder is lowered, without LGP, you usually will have a block.