The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to 1231234
Recent game situation. Officials let the game end. Coach of losing team very upset. We discussed what to do with some other officials last nite at a mtg & get diff answers.I'm thinking a violation . Help !
Score was close ,think it was 59-57."Blue" losing, has one more foul shot on 2 shot foul sitch & hits the shot.
One point game now 59-58.Clock has 2.8 secs on it in 4th quarter. Trail is standing with arm up for the "White" team (leading team) to do their throw in.
The girl that should grab the ball & start the "throw in" procedure grabs the ball as it comes out of the net ,as if she was grabbing a rebounded shot I guess & starts dribbling up floor quickly.The officials are startled & do nothing. The Timer sees player is coming up court with the ball, must have thought it was chopped in by an official so the clock started. Horn goes off. Officials run off the floor & "White" wins by one point. "Blue" coach I heard goes nuts. Wants to know why no violation & how come the clock is 0:00 ? He wants a violation & the clock restored & the ball under "Blue Basket" for a chance to go for the win. He didn't get what he wanted & "White" wins. What would you guys do & why? Help!
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Put 2.8 seconds back on the clock, and blue has the ball on the end-line for a spot throw in becaues white committed a throw-in violation.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by 1231234
Recent game situation. Officials let the game end. Coach of losing team very upset. We discussed what to do with some other officials last nite at a mtg & get diff answers.I'm thinking a violation . Help !
Score was close ,think it was 59-57."Blue" losing, has one more foul shot on 2 shot foul sitch & hits the shot.
One point game now 59-58.Clock has 2.8 secs on it in 4th quarter. Trail is standing with arm up for the "White" team (leading team) to do their throw in.
The girl that should grab the ball & start the "throw in" procedure grabs the ball as it comes out of the net ,as if she was grabbing a rebounded shot I guess & starts dribbling up floor quickly.The officials are startled & do nothing. The Timer sees player is coming up court with the ball, must have thought it was chopped in by an official so the clock started. Horn goes off. Officials run off the floor & "White" wins by one point. "Blue" coach I heard goes nuts. Wants to know why no violation & how come the clock is 0:00 ? He wants a violation & the clock restored & the ball under "Blue Basket" for a chance to go for the win. He didn't get what he wanted & "White" wins. What would you guys do & why? Help!
Officials should have called the violation, but didn't. At any time during the play, if they realized they should have called it, they could have blown the whistle, called it a late whistle and given Blue the ball under their own basket. But once they've run off the floor, there's no correction available. A very bad no-call isn't a correctable error, and the game is over. Tough luck for the coach. Even tougher luck for the officials, I expect.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Yep. Should've been a violation and time put back on the clock.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Ask yourself these questions:

In NFHS, DO you stop the clock after a made basket?

What was the violation that occurred, doesn't the inbounding team get 5 seconds to put it in play?
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz

What was the violation that occurred, doesn't the inbounding team get 5 seconds to put it in play?
This was a nfhs interp made last year, or the year before.

Immediate violation in this case.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 01:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

This was a free throw. Clock doesn't start until the throw-in is completed.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 01:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Case book play 9.2.2SitC. Immediate violation as Dan says. Correct call shoulda been Blue's ball OOB for a spot throw-in with 2.8 seconds to go. As Juulie said though, once the officials left the court, there's no "do-over".
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Case book play 9.2.2SitC. Immediate violation as Dan says. Correct call shoulda been Blue's ball OOB for a spot throw-in with 2.8 seconds to go. As Juulie said though, once the officials left the court, there's no "do-over".
Okay, I got that one right. Here's one I didn't dare approach. If the violation isn't called immediately, and the clock starts, do we put time back on the clock?
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

yes we do

Yes we do put time back in this situation, as it is a timers error, not an officials error....and can someone please explain why this stuff always happens with 2.8 seconds on the clock?? I believe if at some point I look up and the clock is stopped at 2.8 seconds, I am just leaving the floor then and not coming back LOL
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Clock stops at 2.8 seconds

.... say a prayer.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: yes we do

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Yes we do put time back in this situation, as it is a timers error, not an officials error....and can someone please explain why this stuff always happens with 2.8 seconds on the clock?? I believe if at some point I look up and the clock is stopped at 2.8 seconds, I am just leaving the floor then and not coming back LOL
Wow, great point!
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 05:43am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by 1231234

My question is where in the heck was the Trail (and Center if a three-person crew) and what was he (were they) thinking?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to 1231234
2.8 seconds play

Mark: Good question as to what was "Trail & Center" doing that the 2.8 secs ran off the clock. Three person game & no one seemed to realize the player just dribbled up court & "no throw in".
No wonder the coach of "Blue" went bonkers.I agreed with what you Guys/Gals said as to the Violation.
At the mtg many felt the officials should have blown the whistle & brought her back & told her to throw it in & then start the clock or start it over if it was started in error.I felt that gave the leading team "White" an advantage of getting away with a violation. My answer was if that was 4th,5th grade ball perhaps you'd "help" the little ones out ,they are just learning but this was a Varsity Christmas Tourney with some very good teams involved. Thanks all for your input.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to regs12
NFHS Int.

What is the interpretation of this play in the casebook and when does the violation occur? As soon as she starts dribbling up floor?