The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 07:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Rec league weekend, or maybe I should say "wreck" league weekend. 15 games in 48 hours. Saturday, there was an 8th grade girls game. One team had eight players. Seven of them were named Brittney. The other was Brianna. They called themselves the Killer Bees. It got really funny when their coach would try to give them instructions during play:

"Brittney, set a pick. No, not you - the other Brittney - no - the other other Brittney." You get the idea. Both my partner and I cracked up about 10 times.

At halftime, I asked him why he didn't refer to them by their last names. He said he couldn't remember them all. I then asked him why he didn't call them by their number. He said he tried that but everytime he called out a number, they all looked down at their jerseys.

Rec ball - ya' gotta love it.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 10:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Mark, you've got the best stories!
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 10:32pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I then asked him why he didn't call them by their number. He said he tried that but everytime he called out a number, they all looked down at their jerseys.
Along the same lines. Usually during pre-game for 7th or 8th grade. Whenever you ask for floor captins, they usually raise their hand as if you know their name already! Just kind of cracks me up inside, then I ask to see their number.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

I was cracking up just reading this. I had 13 rec games in 48 hours and I was feeling pretty good about myself.

Sara
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

The heading on Mark's topic reminded me of a story my son read to me last night. In an NBA game, as George Mikan lined up to shoot free-throws, he felt a stinging sensation on the back of his leg, then another on his rear end. He calmly shot the first free-throw, then mentioned something about wasps to the referee. The referee replied that, since it was February, they hadn't seen wasps in months. As he prepared to shoot the second free-throw, Mikan felt a stinging sensation in his back. He turned around, looked on the floor behind him, and saw a b-b pellet. They never caught the "shooter".

- Catherine Aird
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Had one last week with 7th graders and almost as young of a coach. Coach was yelling at one of his kids, trying to get her to concentrate, "Get in the game" - yep, you guessed it, both reportig subs ran onto the court during play.

Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Last weekend, rec game comment of the week (for me):
Boys 8th grade Coach is yelling; where's my flasher? where's my flasher? then get's mad and calls time out.
I walk over and ask Assistant; let me know when your flasher get's here because I wanna see.