The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Exclamation

I know that the rules state that both goals must have pading on them. The other night I went to work a tournement where I will be back on Friday. Neither goal has ANY kind of pading. What would you do? What should I do?

Also: These teams are coming from all over the parish. In order to be legal, you must have the same color under shirt as the uniform. The only team to have this is the home team and the other teams said "they knew not what color they would be." What would you do on this?
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

What level are you talking about? Undershirts are easy to deal with. They can take the undershirt off and play. The backboards - not much you can do about that. Schools have enough trouble buying books. How far down on the priority list do you think backboard padding is?
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If it's a low enough level (jr high or lower) and a travel league where kids honestly don't know what color they'll be wearing; I'd probably loosen up the uniform restriction. Chances are their uniforms won't be up to reg anyway. As long as there isn't much chance for the players to get confused, I'd let it be.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
This is a 6th grade tournement. I am not sure whats the point of the rule, but was just checking.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Undershirt problems are easy to deal with:

If one player has an undershirt on then all other players must have the same color if they choose to wear one too. If there is a variety that is not going to cause significant problems for the other team, I will ask the coaches if they have any objections to the issue. If so, then they all come off. If not, then I let it go an the game is played.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

6th grade - you'll be lucky if they all have numbers, let alone if any of them don't have the numbers 6,7,8, or 9. I agree with Snaq - at that level I would not worry about the undershirts at all. Or the backboards. Let 'em play and have fun.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
I know that the rules state that both goals must have pading on them. The other night I went to work a tournement where I will be back on Friday. Neither goal has ANY kind of pading. What would you do? What should I do?

In our area, we won't officiate a game if the padding is missing. It's a straight safety item. If someone got hurt because of missing padding, you're looking at a liability issue.

I'd talk to your assignor about this one, Brandan, and get some direction on it.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:40pm
M.A.S.H.

Padding on the backboard probably isn't going to be an issue at the 6th grade level, even so there's not anything you can do about it. It's already been stated, but you're lucky if you have legal numbers, just let the kids play and have fun, that's what it's all about!!
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Padding on the backboard probably isn't going to be an issue at the 6th grade level, even so there's not anything you can do about it. It's already been stated, but you're lucky if you have legal numbers, just let the kids play and have fun, that's what it's all about!!
Oh I don't know about that!

Did you see this weeks Sports Illustrated?
It has a kid in there that some scouts have been looking at since he was 9 yrs old!
He's 14 now and an eighth grader...6'3" and dunking the basketball with ease...his AAU team hasn't lost in many years.
His name is Demetrius Walker.
They are projecting him to be in the NBA at 18...if he doesn't make the NBA and JUST gets a full ride to a D-1 school...some will be DISAPPOINTED.
Hmmmmmm, quite a bit of pressure on the kid, don't you think?
Richland, WA
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 05:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

It has a kid in there that some scouts have been looking at since he was 9 yrs old!
He's 14 now and an eighth grader...6'3" and dunking the basketball with ease...his AAU team hasn't lost in many years.
They are projecting him to be in the NBA at 18...if he doesn't make the NBA and JUST gets a full ride to a D-1 school...some will be DISAPPOINTED.
I don't mean to brag - OK, I do - but my grandson Tyler is 10 years old and is 5'2". He plays on a fifth grade team and is averaging over 20 points a game after his first four games. He's had two double-doubles. Fortunately, my daughter and her husband both have their heads screwed on straight about it. My son-in-law is 6'6" and played D-I ball, so he knows how it works.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

I don't mean to brag - OK, I do - but my grandson Tyler is 10 years old and is 5'2". He plays on a fifth grade team and is averaging over 20 points a game after his first four games. He's had two double-doubles. Fortunately, my daughter and her husband both have their heads screwed on straight about it. My son-in-law is 6'6" and played D-I ball, so he knows how it works.
Cool!
Maybe Grandpa won't have to fork over any college money!
Richland, WA
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Undershirts & 6th Grade...PLAY BALL

No Padding: If there is risk of injury, don't play. If there is not risk, toss it up. I had fellow officials in that situation in a Varsity game. They notified game management of the illegal equipment and informed them they would allow the gorls to play due to the negligible risk and that they would have to make provisions for the boys game prior to it starting. After the girls' game they allotted the game management 1/2 hour to remedy the situation. Upon the 1/2 hour expiration and not padding, they forfeited the boys' game. Remember, you (we) are responsibile for the safety of the players and could possibly be sued if an accident occurs.