The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 02:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Did my first games with the mercy rule yesterday, and I like it. Small Christian school varsity tournament at a local Baptist College. Schools from around the midwest came, and the talent discrepancy was rather large. First game ended with a score of 72-19.
When the lead got over 20 points in the 4th quarter, the clock just ran. I really wish Iowa would go to this.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 03:07pm
M.A.S.H.

20? I like the Mercy rule but I don't like it for only being down 20. Here it's 30.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, here in IL it's 30. I've already had three games this year that have used this running clock in the 4th qtr., and it has worked out well. There seems to be less chance of frustration setting in, and the associated problems with that.

There was a tiny bit of controversy around our area, because a local newspaper writer, who is very knowledgable on HS sports, came out against the mercy rule. His premise was that these kind of games are the only chance the players at the end of the bench (for either team) get to come in and play. This rule just cuts down on the amount of playing time they actually get. The feeling in our local association seems to be that it doesn't have to cut into that time, if the coaches are smart enough to recognize it. I took the time to mention the possibility of the rule to an assistant coach just after halftime of their game (she was taking over for the head coach who was not there because of a personal issue). She was glad I told her about it, because she wasn't even thinking about it, and I think it gave her the chance to get some of these players in.

I think it should be considered in more areas.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Yes this rule is great here in Illinois. M & M Guy is correct coaches do not recognize on how to use it. Just make sure that when you have the rule in effect, you do not call an out of bounds travel! (Private joke between Jim and myself!)
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
i wish the Mercy Rule would be adapted by the IESA too here in Illinois. and i understand why it's not. but, it's so, so very, very painful to be working a jr. high game and have one team up by 30+ points. everyone is just hoping the game would get over and go home!!!!
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 05:03pm
M.A.S.H.

I hear it's coming next year. Luckly it's not from one of those sources that goes something like this: your uncle's twice removed cousin whose daughter has a friend whose aunt knows a friend of a friend who delivers pizzas for someone who knows someone in the IESA!
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

In our area Mercy Rules are from each District - each is different, some with none at all.

Had a blow out last week (9th graders) and just asking the winning coach if there was one (he said there was not) got him to back off the pressing he was doing
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

John Bark,
I've offered it to Jr. High teams, both IESA and SIJHSAA and sometimes they've agreed. The IESA moves very slowly for some reason on all rules changes in all sports. They still use side out scoring in volleyball. The Southern Illinos Jr. High Association is quicker to make changes. I often have games involving one school from each association, so it always interesting and have to explain the differences.