The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Had a first year official for a partner last night who is going to be a good official. In a GJV game, right before halftime, he has a PC foul against the visiting team. Not the most solid PC foul, but not out there in Neverland either. The head varsity coach who was in the stands watching his JV team play, came down to where my partner was inbounding the ball and said something close to the following, "She didn't hit her hard enough to make her fall down." My young colleague's response was, "shut up and go sit down." As you can imagine, this did not go over well. An argument ensued between the two. I stepped in and told the coach we would discuss the matter at halftime, which we did.

As the half ended, my partner told me what had happened. After taking care of business at the table, we meet outside the gym with the Varsity head coach. He began my saying how unprofessional my partner was. I stopped him right there and told him this, "coach there were two unprofessional people here tonight, you for coming out of the stands to complain and my partner for his comment. We all need to learn from this and be better in the future. Good luck in your game tonight, goodbye." We turned and walked away.

If I can pass on one piece of advise for any new or young official that would be, don't tell anyone, player, coach, or fan to shut up. There are better ways to handle situations like this. IMO
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you handled it well.

In my area, if you're part of the basketball coaching staff at a school, such conduct results inthe same penatly as it would if you were on the bench. I had a varsity head football coach run into the area behind the end zone to yell at a young, inexperienced partner during a try for point after a TD. Kid didn't know what to do but I busted his a$$. That's what would have happened to your varsity coach here. "WHACK! Get out!"
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 08:43am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

In my area, if you're part of the basketball coaching staff at a school, such conduct results inthe same penatly as it would if you were on the bench. I had a varsity head football coach run into the area behind the end zone to yell at a young, inexperienced partner during a try for point after a TD. Kid didn't know what to do but I busted his a$$. That's what would have happened to your varsity coach here. "WHACK! Get out!"
I like that one. Don't just toss him. "T" him and then toss him. And write his butt up too.

Btw, I agree. Good job by Bama.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

BamaRef, cudos to you for putting them both in their place for their comments without allowing and arguement to ensue. I'll file that one away in hopes of never having to use it... but just in case.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I like that one. Don't just toss him. "T" him and then toss him. And write his butt up too.

Btw, I agree. Good job by Bama.
I have a question. If the varsity coach is in the stands he's not a coach in that game he's a fan. No question he's out of line but normally you don't Tee teams because of the action of their fans. I understand as per case book that such a Tee needs to be handled carefully. That being said I wouldn't blame you for handling it the way you propose.

BTW outstanding job.

I had a situation with the varsity coach sitting on the bench during a JV game barking at me. When I got a chance I said in all due respect coach your position in this game is that of assistant and you know you're not allowed to talk to me. Didn't hear from him after that.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:

I have a question.
Okay, ask it?

Quote:
If the varsity coach is in the stands he's not a coach in that game he's a fan. No question he's out of line but normally you don't Tee teams because of the action of their fans. I understand as per case book that such a Tee needs to be handled carefully. That being said I wouldn't blame you for handling it the way you propose.
I'm pretty sure that I indicated that in my area, if he's part of the basketball coaching staff at that school, then he is not a fan, no matter which one of the school's teams are playing.

Coaches, teachers, and administrators at a school are not fans. They are represntatives of the school and should conduct themselves as such at all times.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307

Quote:

In my area, if you're part of the basketball coaching staff at a school, such conduct results inthe same penatly as it would if you were on the bench. "
I have a question. If the varsity coach is in the stands he's not a coach in that game he's a fan. No question he's out of line but normally you don't Tee teams because of the action of their fans. I understand as per case book that such a Tee needs to be handled carefully. That being said I wouldn't blame you for handling it the way you propose.

[/B]
Note that Tony said "in my area". He probably has received direction from the state level to handle cases like this as written above. I agree with that direction too btw.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:08pm
M.A.S.H.

I never say shut up. But if a player is talking to me I usually say "I don't want to hear it" or "keep your mouth shut" or "be quiet". What do you say?
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty sure that I indicated that in my area, if he's part of the basketball coaching staff at that school, then he is not a fan, no matter which one of the school's teams are playing.

Coaches, teachers, and administrators at a school are not fans. They are represntatives of the school and should conduct themselves as such at all times. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree 100% in what you say. If that's how its handled in your area I respect that. Gives me something to think about if it ever occurs to me. Good Luck and have a great season.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
I never say shut up. But if a player is talking to me I usually say "I don't want to hear it" or "keep your mouth shut" or "be quiet". What do you say?
"#23 zip it up",
or to the capt; "help #23 to zip it up"
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
"No more of that." "That's all"
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 01:09pm
9 times

If a coach is not on the bench, he is a spectator. Spectators have NO REASON to be on the floor, especially if they are involved with one of the teams. I would have told him to get off the court and ignored the rest of what he had to say. A call to the AD might (should) be in order.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 02:48pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by BamaRef
If I can pass on one piece of advise for any new or young official that would be, don't tell anyone, player, coach, or fan to shut up. There are better ways to handle situations like this. IMO
In your opinion, and probably everyone else's too.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
"No more of that." "That's all"
"I've heard enough"
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

I say "If you have to go home before the rest of your team do you have the bus fare"