The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

A1 while driving to the basket on a fast break dunks (or lays up) the ball and returns to the ground. Basket is good! B1 playing the ball and attempting to block the shot, slams into A1 after he returned to the floor. Looks ugly and we have nothing. Contact was not deemed excessive or intentional. Naturally the head coach is screaming. Why don't they make this a foul? I know the ball is dead. Your thoughts.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jayzer
Exclamation

Incidental contact, unless intentional or flagrent, I think.

Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
A1 while driving to the basket on a fast break dunks (or lays up) the ball and returns to the ground. Basket is good! B1 playing the ball and attempting to block the shot, slams into A1 after he returned to the floor. Looks ugly and we have nothing. Contact was not deemed excessive or intentional. Naturally the head coach is screaming. Why don't they make this a foul? I know the ball is dead. Your thoughts.
My definition of the word "slam", would fit into the definition of "excessive contact". Therefore it is a foul.

As for further defining this as a foul, it doesn't matter where the definition rests, there are still borderline cases that someone is going to post and ask why they don't make this a foul.