The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Working a JV girls game last week and during warm-ups and while we were on the floor, I noticed 3 players wearing red bandana's rolled up into headbands on one of the teams. I asked my partner about them and he told me they were fine since they weren't hard, etc. Last season working HS football a player could wear a bandana underneath his helmet as long as none of it was portruding and visible.

To me they looked like gang bangers running the floor and I know bandana's are considered gang wear in many parts of the country. I can't believe LA officials would allow teams to wear them. Crips vs. Bloods.

Rule 3.5.2 states as examples of illegal items for apparel: Art 2... Head decorations and headwear.

Exception 2 for Rule 3.5.2 also goes on to state headbands be of 'single-colored cloth' which bandana's have their own design and colorations.

Are bandana's considered to be legal headbands? My opinion and interpretation is no.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

I would not let a kid play wearing a bandana, even if it was rolled up to the size of a normal headband.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
I would not let a kid play wearing a bandana, even if it was rolled up to the size of a normal headband.
And you'd be absolutely right...
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike

To me they looked like gang bangers running the floor and I know bandana's are considered gang wear in many parts of the country. I can't believe LA officials would allow teams to wear them. Crips vs. Bloods.
Maybe if they're yellow, or green?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike

The players or the bandanas?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Right , but where?

Quote:
Quote:
Where does that come from Juulie? I'm certain that you are correct and I have enforced it that way, but thought I would review the rule... I don't find it.

Seems like there was an NCAA interpretation a couple years ago that perhaps we relied upon?

I personally assumed that a bandana, due to it's non-elasticity (similar to string loops hanging out of your shorts) would be a safety issue.

Does anybody else have problems with players continually wanting to hang the loops from their playing shorts outside their pants? Girls in particular seem to like to roll down the elastic band at the top of their shorts one turn and then the loops are on the outside where someone could strangle a finger.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Right , but where?

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Does anybody else have problems with players continually wanting to hang the loops from their playing shorts outside their pants?

where someone could strangle a finger. [/B]
I do!

I consider it a safety issue!
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 06:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I personally assumed that a bandana, due to it's non-elasticity (similar to string loops hanging out of your shorts) would be a safety issue.

Does anybody else have problems with players continually wanting to hang the loops from their playing shorts outside their pants? Girls in particular seem to like to roll down the elastic band at the top of their shorts one turn and then the loops are on the outside where someone could strangle a finger.
Bandanas aren't headbands. Any head wear/decorations are illegal under R3-5-2. Headbands and state-approved head coverings for religious/cosmetic/medical reasons are the only exceptions allowed. Belts loops are also illegal too- straight safety.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Jurassic is right. They're illegal. In soccer their considered adornment which is always illegal. I did have one younger girl last year who wore one. She is actually a member of my church so I've known her well for 9 years. She has the medical condition wher you pull your hair out and can't stop. She had a medical release.
I've never seen the loops out of the pants. When did that get started.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I allowed a young lady to wear a bandana (but not as a head band) in a JV game last week. She lost her hair during chemo treatment and the table had a signed statement from the powers to be (state association) that she could wear it. I felt kind of stupid when I told her during warmups that she coudn't wear it and it suddenly dawned on me why she had it on.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Re: Right , but where?

Quote:
Headbands do not have to be elastic. According to rule, they can even be made of leather. However, they must have only one color. Most bandanas do not qualify.

Quote:
Yellow bandanas are Latin Kings colors. I haven't seen a green gang yet, but I'm sure they're around somewhere.

Rule 3-6-2 Exception 2: A headband no wider than 2 inches and made of nonabrasive, unadorned (except for logo/trademark, see 3-6) single-colored cloth, elastic, fiber, soft leather, or rubber may be worn. Rubber/cloth (elastic) bands may be used to control hair.