The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

If B1 has been standing in the same spot for 5 seconds and A1 dribbles to him and gets head and shoulders past.....who is the foul on?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

The foul is on you for poorly describing a play.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

"Head and shoulders" is meant as a rule of thumb, not a rule. If B1 hasn't moved, and A1 initiates the contact, I've either got nothing or PC; assuming B1 is standing in a "normal" position.

Adam
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you Snaqwell. I thought it was like that. I called the "head and shoulder" phrase a guideline not a rule. We'll see if others agree. Sorry for the poor description of the play.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

That would be a PC foul or no call, depending on the extent of contact, although I'm assuming here that LGP has been established. It didn't say anywhere in the origional post that B1 had both feet on the floor or was facing A1. So if B1 never established position then that could all change.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 03:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
That would be a PC foul or no call, depending on the extent of contact, although I'm assuming here that LGP has been established. It didn't say anywhere in the origional post that B1 had both feet on the floor or was facing A1. So if B1 never established position then that could all change.
Not in my book. If B1 hasn't moved in an hour, it's her spot assuming she's standing normally. I don't care which direction she's facing. If A1 initiates contact against a stationary opponent, A1 gets the whistle if anyone does.
To me, LGP is how we allow a moving defender to draw a pc foul. If the player isn't moving, LGP isn't necessary.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Not in my book. If B1 hasn't moved in an hour, it's her spot assuming she's standing normally. I don't care which direction she's facing. If A1 initiates contact against a stationary opponent, A1 gets the whistle if anyone does.
To me, LGP is how we allow a moving defender to draw a pc foul. If the player isn't moving, LGP isn't necessary.
This is my first year working BB with a number of 7th/8th grade tournies and games, little dribbler travelling team tournies, and a couple of easy JV games so far under my belt. (Gotta begin somewhere, right?)

I found this under Rule 10.6.2 ...A dribbler shall not charge into nor contact an opponent in his/her path nor attempt to dribble between two opponents or between an opponent and boundary, unless the space is such as to provide a reasonable chance for him or her to go through without contact.

Nothing is mentioned about which direction the player is facing. Is a LGP necessary for a PC foul?

Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
This is my first year working BB with a number of 7th/8th grade tournies and games, little dribbler travelling team tournies, and a couple of easy JV games so far under my belt. (Gotta begin somewhere, right?)

I found this under Rule 10.6.2 ...A dribbler shall not charge into nor contact an opponent in his/her path nor attempt to dribble between two opponents or between an opponent and boundary, unless the space is such as to provide a reasonable chance for him or her to go through without contact.

Nothing is mentioned about which direction the player is facing. Is a LGP necessary for a PC foul?

As Snacks said, absolutely not. If the defender is just standing there, picking her nose, or talking to her mommy who's standing near the sideline, she's got a right to that spot. If dribbler runs into defender, it's PC - or nothing. LGP has to do with how defender maintains legal defense as she moves.