The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:11pm
M.A.S.H.

From NFHS Quarterly, if you've already read them please don't spoil the fun. These are actually fairly easy (I think). I doubt I'll need to post the answers, but I will if I have to.

Play 1: During A1's attempt to pass to A2, B1 (a) intentionally uses his/her thigh to deflect the pass; (b) intentionally kicks the ball with his/her foot; or (c) had the ball accidentally hit his/her leg.

Play 2: Officials discover blood on players A1 and B1 simultaneously and direct both players to leave the game. After notification by the officials, Team A chooses to call a time-out to keep A1 in the game, while Team B elects to substitute B6 for B1.

Play 3: A1 is fouled by B2 and is awarded two free throws. The foul is B2's fifth foul. The new trail official reports the fifth fould and lead official incorrectly permits A1 to attempt the first free throw. The officials realize the erroe and huddle to discuss the situation.

Play 4: A1 has started to try for a goal (is in the act of shooting), but the ball is not yet in flight with the official blows the whistle for B2 fouling A2. A1's try is successful.

Play 5: Before making a throw-in, A1 dribbles the ball on the floor on the out-of-bounds area.

...more coming...
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:19pm
M.A.S.H.

Play 6: Team A scores a field goal. B1 picks up the ball and steps out of bounds at the end line to prepare for a throw-in. Before the throw-in is completed, A2 is called for an intentional (or flagrant) foul on B3 near the end line.

Play 7: Team A scores a field goal. B1 picks up the ball and steps out of bounds at the end line to prepare for a throw-in. B1 attempts an entry pass that goes near the division line, but no opponent or teammate is nearby to secure the ball. B1 enters the court and becomes the first player to touch the ball.

Play 8: As the official calls a traveling violation, he/she is properly sounds the whistle and gives the signal to stop the clock. While during this, the official is able to see the exact time remaining in the fourth quarter. The clock shows 55 seconds remaining. The timer stops the clock (a) at 55 seconds; (b) at 54 seconds; (c)at 53 seconds; or (d) at 50 seconds.

Play 9: A4 and A5 set a double screen for A1 near the end line. A1 runs out of bounds under the basket around the screening teammates and returns on the opposite side of the court.

Play 10: Players A5 and B5 square off and grab each other as if they will begin to fight. Bench personnel A6, A7, and B6 leave the confines of their respective benches to get close to the action. A5 and B5 never actually throw punches, they just exchange words and menacing glances.

...more coming...
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Play 1
a. violation
b. violation
c. legal

Play 2
B6 must report for B1 before A's TO can be granted.

Play 3
FT counts. B2's sub must report before administering the second FT.

Play 4
Basket counts. A's ball or A2 shoots bonus.

Play 5
Legal.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:22pm
M.A.S.H.

Play 11: An official sounds his/her whistle accfidentally while A1's try attempt is in flight. The try is (a) unsuccesful or (b) successful.

Play 12: A1 is closely guarded by B1 for two seconds in Team A's frontcourt. B2 then double-teams A1, and both B1 and B2 are closely guarding A1 for one second. B1 then drops off A1 to cover another player. B2 continues to closely guard A1 for two more seconds.

Play 13: A1 is dribbling near the sideline when B1 obtains legal guarding position. B1 stays in the path of A1 but in doing so has (a) one foot touching the sideline or (b) one foot in the air over the out-of-bounds area when A1 contacts B1 in the torso.

That's it! Have fun.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Play 6
Report foul, B3 shoots FTs, spot throw-in for B.

Play 7
Impossible but violation on B1. Throw-in from the original throw-in spot.

Play 8
a. no timing error
b. no timing error
c. reset clock to 55 seconds
d. reset clock to 55 seconds

Play 9
Technical foul on A1

Play 10
Flagrant technical fouls charged to A6, A7, and B6. They are ejected. Each coach receives an indirect T. A5 and B5 will probably be assessed technical fouls.
OOPS!: Team B shoots 2 FTs and gets the throw-in.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 18th, 2005 at 01:35 PM]
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Play 11
a. Go to AP to determine possession
b. Count the basket. Resume play with throw-in for B.

Play 12
As long as A1 didn't start or end a dribble during this period, it's a 5 second violation.

Play 13
a. Blocking foul
b. Player control foul
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Play 6
Report foul, B3 shoots FTs, spot throw-in for B.

Play 7
Impossible but violation on B1. Throw-in from the original throw-in spot.

Play 8
a. no timing error
b. no timing error
c. reset clock to 55 seconds
d. reset clock to 55 seconds

Play 9
Technical foul on A1

Play 10
Flagrant technical fouls charged to A6, A7, and B6. They are ejected. Each coach receives an indirect T. A5 and B5 will probably be assessed technical fouls.
OOPS!: Team B shoots 2 FTs and gets the throw-in.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 18th, 2005 at 01:35 PM]
In #7 the throw in is back at the end line, 9-2-penalty.

You fixed it while I was writing.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:58pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I'm glad #3 was on here. Had that happen in a game I did. I was administring the throw and did so on the first before player was sub for. We left everything as is. One partner though thought that we should have re-shot the throw. I was pretty sure we got it right.

Let's say we have PISS POOR eye contact and issue on a one and one while partner is informing coach. Shooter misses and (a) Team A rebounds (b) Team B rebounds. How do we handle then? My GUESS would be that the rebounding team would get the ball out of bounds.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
From NFHS Quarterly, if you've already read them please don't spoil the fun.
These are the NFHS interps that have been on the web-site since November or so.

Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 03:24pm
M.A.S.H.

Yeah I knew they were old. Actually I forgot I got the mag and it was at the bottom of the pile on my desk, so I thought what the heck, a little refresher.