The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

I am curious as to why Officials do what they do. It is the money? Is it something you do for enjoyment? I got into it because I love to work with kids. I coached many sports with my two children as they grew up and I found that I wanted to continue working with kids.

I am finding out that I enjoy it and I want to continue to improve and do more and more games.

Why do you Officiate?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

i enjoy the game, but sometimes it scares me to know that these coaches are also our teachers.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

I thought it would be a different way to be involved in sports, one I hadn't experienced before. A chance to help kids experience the good things in sports and facilitate their development. I heard you can meet some great people and have fun doing it.

It definitely isn't for the money, though I wouldn't do it for free.

Though right now it's not much fun. I admit I have a low tolerance for b-s when it's not directly related to something I absolutely have to do, but if it's going to be parents *****ing, coaches *****ing and players *****ing like it's been lately, I'm inclined to hang 'em up. I know it comes with the territory, but I've never had any grand designs on making this a career, so as long as it's going to be something I do on the side, I'm not inclined to put up with b-s.

/rant, sorry to digress
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I ref so I can see Juulie in her fishnets.
You can go to the beach for that. I do it so I can go to HS sporting contest and be paid to be there instead of paying them to be there.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Which beach?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Which Gym?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

i can't narrow it down.

for me it's a way to be involved in hs sports.
i've always competed and this is something that challenges me physically, mentally and with some coaches emotionally.
kills 2 birds with 1 stone: get to see alot of basketball, plus i get paid to exercise.
the sky is the limit, how far can i go?
the referee community is a brotherhood.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Smile

plus we get to wear really cool looking shiny shoes!
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Smile Makes me feel good about myself

It's a position of authority... Lest you think I'm a power-monger, I see authority as opportunity to lead; I'm a leader - not a dictator.

The money helps but it ain't near enough to make this avocation worthwhile. Pennies per hour.

The job of officiating is definitely a challenge. It gives me a feeling of satisfaction to do it and to do it well.

Being recognized for doing a good job also gives me a feeling of being respected.

All these combined, give me a feeling of confidence that I don't see in other people.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

I love sports, but can't play them worth a lick, so I figured the best way to be involved was to officiate.

Also, at the intramural level, I get to meet a lot of people & see those who I already know through games and meetings. (The formation of sorority leagues didn't hurt, either )
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Re: Makes me feel good about myself

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
It's a position of authority... Lest you think I'm a power-monger, I see authority as opportunity to lead; I'm a leader - not a dictator.

The money helps but it ain't near enough to make this avocation worthwhile. Pennies per hour.

The job of officiating is definitely a challenge. It gives me a feeling of satisfaction to do it and to do it well.

Being recognized for doing a good job also gives me a feeling of being respected.

All these combined, give me a feeling of confidence that I don't see in other people.
Well said Tony. I once calculated, based on the population of our county, that there are probably just a fraction of a one percent of people who can do what I (we) do--officiate well a high school basketball game. One should take some pride in doing such a difficult and necessary task that few others are capable of doing.

Most of all, like we often tell the kids: "Have fun!" I still do it 'cause it's fun--even with all the "feedback" we get from the "uninformed and uneducated". When it ceases to be such, then I will hang em up.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Its fun!

Quote:
Originally posted by dknick78
I am curious as to why Officials do what they do. It is the money? Is it something you do for enjoyment? I got into it because I love to work with kids. I coached many sports with my two children as they grew up and I found that I wanted to continue working with kids.

I am finding out that I enjoy it and I want to continue to improve and do more and more games.

Why do you Officiate?
having been one who played every sport as a kid, and then being a coach for several years, I find that its a way to stay involved with sports and with the community.

Also, its a great second source of income. It takes a lot of work and money to become a good official, but to me its worth it in the end.

Thanks
David

Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

I appreciate the "have fun part of it". Some of these kids are not having fun. That is a problem. They may be doing it to please thier parents or coaches. They are driven by getting better and being the best. That in and of itself is not bad. I think we all strive to do our best in all that we do. It becomes a problem when we are so driven that it is no longer enjoyable.

I will say from time to time mainly to Middle Schoolers as I hand them the ball on a throw in "are you having fun?" Some will say "no" and some "yes". I will say to them "smile and have fun".

I think this will also be true about officiating. We must strive to do our best and to improve, this is what is required. With that said, it must continue to be enjoyable.

We own it to the game to strive to improve and to enjoy what we do.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 12:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

I ref basketball because I love the sport. I ref basketball because I can stay close to the game of basketball. If I did not ref, I probably would have tried to coach. I just love the game. The money and the other benefits are just extra.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

It's a good way to be involved in the lives of kids, in a positive manner. For all the hollering and advice that comes from the bleachers, you rarely see or hear of people who would willingly trade places with you. That's usually a fun place to be, through the good times and bad.