The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Question

2-whistle mechanics. A drive to the hole originates in the trail's area and there is a trainwreck in the paint. If there is a double whistle, whose call is it?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
2-whistle mechanics. A drive to the hole originates in the trail's area and there is a trainwreck in the paint. If there is a double whistle, whose call is it?
This is something I pregame with my partner (same time we're discussing pass & crash). First make eye contact with partner - if you're both showing foul (raised fist) I prefer to let the lead make the call & report the foul while the trail switches to the baseline & gets the players ready for either free throws or a throw-in. To me it's smoother, faster, and keeps the game flowing better than having the trail report then doing the switch.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
I agree, both in the need to pregame this situation and the way to handle it---double whistle, hold, eye contact, official towards whom the play is coming takes the call.

A variant of this, the pass/crash, is also crucial to pregame. Different people around here like to handle this differently. Some say L takes the ball and T takes the crash 100% of the time; others prefer that if the pass is back towards T's area, then T takes the ball and L stays with the crash.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

A different philosophy is: Who had a look at the play from beginning to end? the trail or the lead? Obviously, if the play started in the trail's primary, and the lead was watching his/her primary, who had the better look at the play? I would suggest the trail did, and the trail should make the call.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

I agree with FrankHTown. The trail should have seen the play all the way. My philosophy is to referee the defense. Hopefully, the trail has seen the defense the entire time. They should have a feeling for how the play developed and ended. Therefore, IMO, its their call. From some earlier replies, I get the feeling that the call would be a block, "setting up to shoot free throws." Though that may be, it is just as likely the call may be a PC. JMO.

This should always be pregamed.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I think it also depends on where the defender came from. If the defender came in with the drive from the trail's area, then the trail has the best look. If the defender was rotating from the weak side meeting the shooter at the basket, the lead will have the better look...the trail may not have seen where the defender came from.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

I would have to agree with the philisophy of yielding to the person from whose area the play originated.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Like said pregame. If we are calling 4 games today the rule is simple. Old man mechanics calls for, Lead take it if its a shooting foul and we're switching anyway. Trail take it if it is not and no switch. In Texas, we don't switch on fouls that aren't shooting.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 04:59pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
I think it also depends on where the defender came from. If the defender came in with the drive from the trail's area, then the trail has the best look. If the defender was rotating from the weak side meeting the shooter at the basket, the lead will have the better look...the trail may not have seen where the defender came from.

Camron:

I just hope the train wreck wasn't a BLARGE.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 06:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[/B]
I just hope the train wreck wasn't a BLARGE.

[/B][/QUOTE]What's a blarge?

Is their anything in the rule book about them?

Just wondering. I've heard that they don't even exist in the wilds of Ohio.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

In a situation such as this, two whistles and possibly two opinions, although it should be discussed during pre-game, it never hurts to take the time to stop and discuss the play with your partner if there is any doubt. There may be multiple fouls that are warranted, a travel before contact, a push in the back before a travel. In the heat of the contest, in a perfect world, we should see that one has a fist, one has an open hand or both have fists or both have open hands. That is not always the case. Your partner is the only one that you really ever want to talk to during the game if your talk much at all (outside of mechanics administration). Take the extra 20 seconds and get it right.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Generally speaking I prefer to give it to whoever the play is coming to. However I tell my partner If for example I have block and you have charge just come in strong and sell it and you have it. Or vice versa. When the trainwreck happens it is better to have two as oposed to no whistles. LOL