The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2 teammates with the ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17705-2-teammates-ball.html)

Donkey Mon Jan 17, 2005 07:43pm

A thrower-in hands the ball to a teammate. Both are touching it at the same time. I know the ball goes to the opponent but...
Where in the NFHS rules does it state this rule at the throw-in or at anytime during the game that two teammates cannot have the ball at the same time?

Thank you.

[Edited by Donkey on Jan 17th, 2005 at 07:50 PM]

Lotto Mon Jan 17, 2005 08:09pm

I don't have a NFHS rulebook, but NCAA rule 9-5e says that a thrower-in shall not "[c]arry or hand the ball to a teammate who is on the playing court."

BktBallRef Mon Jan 17, 2005 08:36pm

It's a throw-in pass, not a handoff.

7-6-1
The throw-in starts when the ball is at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to the throw-in. The thrower shall release the ball on a pass directly into the court, except as in 7-5-7, within five seconds after the throw-in starts. The throw-in pass shall touch another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched. The throw-in pass shall not touch a teammate while it is on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in boundary plane.

Kelvin green Mon Jan 17, 2005 09:31pm

There is nothing in the rules that prevents two players from holding the ball while on the floor. I think that was your question...

As long as neither player violates a travel provision it is perfectly legal

BktBallRef Mon Jan 17, 2005 09:42pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Kelvin green
There is nothing in the rules that prevents two players from holding the ball while on the floor. I think that was your question...

As long as neither player violates a travel provision it is perfectly legal

Better re-read the post, Kelvin.

"A thrower-in hands the ball to a teammate."

Nevadaref Tue Jan 18, 2005 08:53am

Quote:

Originally posted by Donkey
A thrower-in hands the ball to a teammate. Both are touching it at the same time. I know the ball goes to the opponent but...
Where in the NFHS rules does it state this rule at the throw-in or at anytime during the game that two teammates cannot have the ball at the same time?

Handing the ball to a teammate inbounds during a throw-in is not allowed.

7.6.3 Situation B: During an attempted throw-in, A1: (a) holds the ball through the plane of the end line and then passes it; (b) steps through the plane (makes contact with the floor inbounds) before passing the ball to A2; or (c) holds the ball through the plane and hands it to A2. RULING: A legal throw-in in (a), but a throw-in violation in (b) and (c).

While the ball is already inbounds it may be jointly controlled by teammates.

4.43.2 Situation B: Airborne A1 and A2 jointly grab the rebound and each alights simultaneously on both feet. A1 and A2 each move one foot in attempting to wrestle the ball from each other before realizing they are teammates. A1 lets go and A2 dribbles away. RULING: Legal. There has been no violation as neither A1 or A2 moved their pivot foot while they were in joint control.