The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

i agree with those who talk players out of fouls ("hands off, straight up, get out") i usually start the game like this but i'm not going to chase you out of the lane all night. sometime it become redundant to keep warning without a penalty. i sure wouldn't give a coach a whole quarter full of warnings.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
No the warning is for BREAKING the plane, not reaching across the plane.

When a player hears straight up, their reaction is normally to put their hands up and stop leaning into the plane.

The word REACHING should NEVER be used by an official, EVER.
You might want to read casebook 7.6.3.C & 9.2.11.B - the specific terminology used by NFHS is "reaches through". The warning for violation of 7.6.3.C is for delay - boundary line violation, but the action that precipitates the warning is reaching through the boundary line.

Also see items 3 & 4 of the penalty section at the end of 9-2 in the rule book - both use the specific terminology "reaches through the throw-in boundary".

Making eye contact with a defender bellying up to the sideline and saying "don't reach" before handing the ball to the thrower is clear and unambiguous - and it works. You can use what you want, but since that is the specific terminology used by NFHS, it will continue to be my terminology of choice until they decide to change it.
What I do that works, and doesn't use the word "reaching", is that before I make the ball available, I move my arm up and down along the "plane" (parallel to the sideline, of course), and say, "Glass wall." I try to make eye contact with the defender. Sometimes, ms players will look at me quizzically, then I say, "You can see through but your arms stay on that side." Works great.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
No the warning is for BREAKING the plane, not reaching across the plane.

When a player hears straight up, their reaction is normally to put their hands up and stop leaning into the plane.

The word REACHING should NEVER be used by an official, EVER.
You might want to read casebook 7.6.3.C & 9.2.11.B - the specific terminology used by NFHS is "reaches through". The warning for violation of 7.6.3.C is for delay - boundary line violation, but the action that precipitates the warning is reaching through the boundary line.

Also see items 3 & 4 of the penalty section at the end of 9-2 in the rule book - both use the specific terminology "reaches through the throw-in boundary".

Making eye contact with a defender bellying up to the sideline and saying "don't reach" before handing the ball to the thrower is clear and unambiguous - and it works. You can use what you want, but since that is the specific terminology used by NFHS, it will continue to be my terminology of choice until they decide to change it.
What I do that works, and doesn't use the word "reaching", is that before I make the ball available, I move my arm up and down along the "plane" (parallel to the sideline, of course), and say, "Glass wall." I try to make eye contact with the defender. Sometimes, ms players will look at me quizzically, then I say, "You can see through but your arms stay on that side." Works great.
I've used the glass wall with the younger kids, especially after one of them has been warned for BREAKING THE PLANE.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

"Are you guys done yet" said to two tangled players before a foul shot gives no advantage to either team.

But many of these comments sound to me like they do give an unfair advantage to one player/team.

"Get it in!" (5 seconds) certainly does. Why help out the offensive team in this situation? Maybe at the grade school level....as a reminder of the rule.....but would you really use this comment in a championship varsity boys contest?

Also, Tim asked a good question that I will paraphrase and ask for some comments about: What is "preventative offciating" trying to prevent?

Thanks!

Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carldog
"Are you guys done yet" said to two tangled players before a foul shot gives no advantage to either team.

But many of these comments sound to me like they do give an unfair advantage to one player/team.

"Get it in!" (5 seconds) certainly does. Why help out the offensive team in this situation? Maybe at the grade school level....as a reminder of the rule.....but would you really use this comment in a championship varsity boys contest?

Also, Tim asked a good question that I will paraphrase and ask for some comments about: What is "preventative offciating" trying to prevent?

Thanks!

Again, where in my first post was the CONTEXT of the preventive officiating stated?

Where was it said, every game at every level?

What does it prevent?

It prevents a ruined, actionless game, dominated by an official's whistle without it being necessary.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Game Stoppage

Quote:
[B... What is "preventative offciating" trying to prevent?

Thanks!

[/B]
Exactly. It keeps the game going. A continuous flow is what makes the game exciting. Listening to those beautiful whistles isn't it. Watching a throw-in isn't it. Admiring the capable talent of shooting a free throw isn't it. IT IS THE ACTION.

If you can keep the game rolling and not need to call the minor/inconsequential fouls and violations, you end up with a much better result. Happy fans. Happy players. Content coaches (well maybe). Preventive officiating keeps the action coming.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Here's another subtle technique that might be considered preventative.

At some camp it was suggested that for the throw-in 5-second count the official could start his count as if it was a hand on a clock at about the 5 and the next swing be a little higher, the next swing at the 3, the next swing at the 2 (there's a pattern here). So that if you get to the five second throw-in violation your hand is nearly straight up and you have changed your emphasis during each count - essentially stressing the impending violation.

(By the way don't count backwards or you might end up with a six second count.)
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Game Stoppage

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:
[B... What is "preventative offciating" trying to prevent?

Thanks!
Exactly. It keeps the game going. A continuous flow is what makes the game exciting. Listening to those beautiful whistles isn't it. Watching a throw-in isn't it. Admiring the capable talent of shooting a free throw isn't it. IT IS THE ACTION.

If you can keep the game rolling and not need to call the minor/inconsequential fouls and violations, you end up with a much better result. Happy fans. Happy players. Content coaches (well maybe). Preventive officiating keeps the action coming. [/B]
I think we could all probably say that the best games we have worked are those that had good flow, lots of end-to-end action and were close, well played games. I can see both sides of the arguments mentioned in this thread. I tend to talk to the players during moments where that particular player would be doing something that required me to blow my whistle if they were involved in the play or the offensive player was making a play. I will talk to the players when I can, but will not hesitate to blow the whistle when I believe an advantage is gained. I also have to remember that it's the players who determine the flow of the game, not me.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Here's another subtle technique that might be considered preventative.

At some camp it was suggested that for the throw-in 5-second count the official could start his count as if it was a hand on a clock at about the 5 and the next swing be a little higher, the next swing at the 3, the next swing at the 2 (there's a pattern here). So that if you get to the five second throw-in violation your hand is nearly straight up and you have changed your emphasis during each count - essentially stressing the impending violation.

(By the way don't count backwards or you might end up with a six second count.)
That would look weird.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Yes Bob the Boys -vs- Girls comment is bad one- GUILTY.

Maybe 10+ years ago or more, telling youth boys to "quit slapping at the ball like the girls do" or telling girls to "stop acting like the boys and play good defense" would get a good chuckle and the desired effect of better defense etc...

However nowadays, and as of about 3 Seasons ago... nothing but trouble.

I made that mistake at a game and it turns out one of my assignors was in crowd. WHOOPS!

While administering FTs I told a group of 10-12yr old boys (both teams in double bonus, stop clock, terribly lazy defenders just hacking at everyone and everything) "Guys, let's stop just slapping at the ball the way the girls do, I wanna see good defense, and move your feet!"

Had sparingly used this speech in a few times over the years with either sex of player and always got the chuckle from the players, and the crowd. But this time I got a gym full of both sides booing, even my bookkeeper would only show me disgust the rest of the game.

Worst part was after game one of my area sports managers approaches and asks me if I had learned anything.... :> Uhhhhm Yep.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 03:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFussRef View Post
Maybe 10+ years ago or more, telling youth boys to "quit slapping at the ball like the girls do" or telling girls to "stop acting like the boys and play good defense" would get a good chuckle and the desired effect of better defense etc...

However nowadays, and as of about 3 Seasons ago... nothing but trouble.

I made that mistake at a game and it turns out one of my assignors was in crowd. WHOOPS!

While administering FTs I told a group of 10-12yr old boys (both teams in double bonus, stop clock, terribly lazy defenders just hacking at everyone and everything) "Guys, let's stop just slapping at the ball the way the girls do, I wanna see good defense, and move your feet!"

Had sparingly used this speech in a few times over the years with either sex of player and always got the chuckle from the players, and the crowd. But this time I got a gym full of both sides booing, even my bookkeeper would only show me disgust the rest of the game.

Worst part was after game one of my area sports managers approaches and asks me if I had learned anything.... :> Uhhhhm Yep.
Just want to point out that this thread is from six years ago.

Generally, as officials, we don't want to be coaching players. You might be able to get away with a little bit more at the lower levels but beware. I certainly wouldn't use the line that you did.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFussRef View Post
I hope that what you learned is:

1) Don't make a long speech about "moving your feet on defense"
2) You mis-used the "I usually only see that in girls' game" technique
2a) It's not used for "illegal defense", it's used for "annoyances"
2b) It's said quietly to one player, not loudly to both teams and the stands.

edit: 3) Don't reply to threads from 5+ years ago.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 10:05am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra View Post
Any official that uses the term "REACHING" on a basketball court keeps a myth alive.
+1

On an throw-in, I simply tell a defensive player, "watch the line."

By the way, do you guys use hand whistles, no lanyards? It sounds like a lot of the suggested verbage happens during a live ball. I do a lot more preventative officiating in soccer than in basketball, where my mouth is typically occupied by my whistle.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 10:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
+1

On an throw-in, I simply tell a defensive player, "watch the line."

By the way, do you guys use hand whistles, no lanyards? It sounds like a lot of the suggested verbage happens during a live ball. I do a lot more preventative officiating in soccer than in basketball, where my mouth is typically occupied by my whistle.
If I'm talking, I take the whistle out of my mouth. Duh.

Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
If I'm talking, I take the whistle out of my mouth. Duh.

I talk around the whistle, but I have a big mouth.