The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Had a weird play happen Friday night in three person crew. Here is the situation :

Team A trails by two points with .5 left on the clock with a spot throw in beneath B's basket (94 feet to go). T (administering throw in table side) L (underneath A's basket table side) C (near head of the circle in A's frontcourt opposite table).

B1 is guarding A1 on the throw in with all other A and B players in A's front court. The ball is whized down court and seems to go out of bounds untouched by either team, however lead gives the signal that it is still team A's ball because it was tipped in flight by a team B member right before it went OOB.The problem is that T never chopped the clock in because he thought the ball was not tipped. C didn't have a good look at the pass because he was watching action in the paint (screens, etc). We got together and L said the ball was tipped near the low block and went straight OOB (hit a wall).

Team A's coach wants the ball OOB with .5 left on the clock, Team B's coach says if the ball was tipped OOB the game should be over.

Have at it - I will post what we did later.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Official screwed up. A's ball at the point where it went OOB with 0.5 seconds left.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed

A's ball at the point where it went OOB with 0.5 seconds left.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 12:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not much you can do with the clock here. A gets the ball with .5 seconds, since you have no definite knowledge to justify changing the clock.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
While the answers given here are right for the HS game, this is where (once again), I think the NBA rule is better. In the NBA, anytime the ball is legally touched inbounds, a minimum of 0.2 seconds must come off the clock. The reasoning (which is correct, IMO) is that if the ball is touched, then the clock must start and stop.

In the original case of this thread, it's simply not fair to allow the throw-in team to advance the ball the entire length of the court with no time off the clock. But since in HS and NCAA, we don't have definite knowledge of how much should've come off, we can't do anyting about it.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
While the answers given here are right for the HS game, this is where (once again), I think the NBA rule is better. In the NBA, anytime the ball is legally touched inbounds, a minimum of 0.2 seconds must come off the clock. The reasoning (which is correct, IMO) is that if the ball is touched, then the clock must start and stop.

In the original case of this thread, it's simply not fair to allow the throw-in team to advance the ball the entire length of the court with no time off the clock. But since in HS and NCAA, we don't have definite knowledge of how much should've come off, we can't do anyting about it.
Chuck -- Within the rules of hs, it's Team B that let the ball advance the length of the court. If they had not tipped it, it would be under their own basket.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck - isn't the guideline that 0.3 or more must be taken off the clock in a tap-and-out situation? I.e., if 0.3 remains on the clock when this happens, the quarter/game is over?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Chuck -- Within the rules of hs, it's Team B that let the ball advance the length of the court. If they had not tipped it, it would be under their own basket.
True - however, a tip like this should cause time to run out, meaning that if 0.5 remains on the clock, B has been put at a disadvantage.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Chuck - isn't the guideline that 0.3 or more must be taken off the clock in a tap-and-out situation? I.e., if 0.3 remains on the clock when this happens, the quarter/game is over?
In NCAA/FED, a catch-and-shoot cannot count if the clock shows 0.3 seconds or less at the beginning of the play. In the NBA, however, the rule is that 0.3 seconds is the minimum amount of time that is allowed for a catch-and-shoot. The correlary is that 0.2 seconds must elapse any time the ball is legally touched inbounds.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
The correlary is ...
I can't believe that you spelled that wrong. Is Molly typing for you from dictation?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
The correlary is ...
I can't believe that you spelled that wrong. Is Molly typing for you from dictation?
No but the bleeping dog was crying and i didn't have time to double-check m-w.com.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:03pm
M.A.S.H.

Dittos

Team A's ball with .5 seconds. Speaking of chopping the clock, I was watching a college game last week. And I'm sure it isn't a mechanic --maybe it is--, anyways, the ball was OOB on the baseline and the trial had his hand up and chopped the clock in. I'm guessing he was just making sure the table didn't have to look through a bunch of people and was helping out his partner?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
In NCAA/FED, a catch-and-shoot cannot count if the clock shows 0.3 seconds or less at the beginning of the play. In the NBA, however, the rule is that 0.3 seconds is the minimum amount of time that is allowed for a catch-and-shoot. The correlary is that 0.2 seconds must elapse any time the ball is legally touched inbounds.
This was from the NBA rules website:

NO LESS THAN :00.3 must expire on the game clock when a ball is thrown inbounds and then hit instantly out-of-bounds. If less than :00.3 expires in such a sit-uation, the timer will be instructed to deduct AT LEAST :00.3 from the game clock.

I took this to mean 0.3 had to run off . . .
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Dittos

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Team A's ball with .5 seconds. Speaking of chopping the clock, I was watching a college game last week. And I'm sure it isn't a mechanic --maybe it is--, anyways, the ball was OOB on the baseline and the trial had his hand up and chopped the clock in. I'm guessing he was just making sure the table didn't have to look through a bunch of people and was helping out his partner?
That is the mechanic in NCAAW games. It's sometimes used in NCAAM, especially if the throw-in goes to the T's area up top.

Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:47pm
In Memoriam

Can anybody cite me a rule to back up their answer as to where the ball goes for the throw-in and how much time should be on the clock?