The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 10:11am
MPLAHE

Team A in possession in the backcourt and is being pressed by Team B. A1 throws the ball from backcourt to frontcourt and A2 and B2, both going for the ball collide before the ball reaches them. B gains possession. A coach is screaming for a foul. My partner, who was in position to make the call, told the coach it was incidental contact. I agree with him, but wonder if we made the right call.

thoughts?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

As long as neither player put the other at a disadvantage before the collision, you have nothing even though the contact could have been severe. It sounds like you had two players who simply got to the same spot at the same time and ran into one another. It happens and it's a no call. My only advice is that you work to get good coverage angles so that you see the whole thing happen and truly can see if there was or was not any advantage gained by either player.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

This is alway a tough one when A1 is a 6'6 250lbs and B1 is 5'11" 175lbs. A1 will have an advantage and B1 will bounch. B1's coach expects a call and sometimes there is nothing there. The book says sometimes minor contact is a foul and some severe contact is not a foul. You're darned if you do and darned if you don't. Just like it's already been said, better be in good position so you can explain your decision to the coaches.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 10:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Had one of these in a freshman girls' game. Loose ball in A's front court, A1 and B1 both go after it and their heads reach a spot at the same time. Completely incidental loose ball contact, neither player had advantageous position first. We played on for a second, as the girls looked like they were okay. One started wobbling shortly after, though, so we stopped the game.
Amazingly, neither coach questioned the no-call (probably because it happened right in front of A's bench and the coach saw it clearly.

Adam
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Advantage/Disadvantage

While I agree with both of the previous post, one area that I see too often is when A1 is physically on top of B2 going for a lose ball and a "jump ball" is called. It's hard for me to understand that, with B2 pinned to the floor, he/she isn't at a disadvantage.
In this scenario, I will tend to go with a foul more times than not, with the person on top getting his/her number in the book.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Don't forget this posible option - The double foul.

PF on each player if equally responsible.

Change of possession dictates who gets ball.

Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I would not call a double foul is such a situation. As stated in the initial post, this is incidental contact, plain and simple. Just because we have violent contact, that doesn't mean we have a foul.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Had one of these in a freshman girls' game.
You had a freshman girls' game with only one of these? Wow, great game!
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Advantage/Disadvantage

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
While I agree with both of the previous post, one area that I see too often is when A1 is physically on top of B2 going for a lose ball and a "jump ball" is called.
In my games, anybody who lands on an opponent while the ball is on the floor gets a foul. You cannot jump on somebody else. I agree that this is allowed too often, Chuck. Grab it, it's a message-sender.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Had one of these in a freshman girls' game.
You had a freshman girls' game with only one of these? Wow, great game!
Are you kidding? With most of the freshman girls games around here, it's hard to find two excessively agressive girls on the same court going after the same loose ball. Apparently, the stars were aligned and the basketball gods were not kind that evening. I'd had another girl from the same team as the wobbly one hurt an ankle earlier (no contact) in the game.
I'll tell you, as someone with a daughter, it's not all that easy for me to see a young girl cry.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Had an 8th grade boys game last week. Ball is being passed to A2 B1 comes flying across the court and is airborne horizontaly (Feet were even with his head. Must have been a football player) crushes A2. Actually looked worse than it was. Could have made an arguement that they were both going for the ball. My call was an intentional foul with no complaints. A2 Coach was satisfied with the call and we played on.