The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Yeah....I don't understand this patch thing either. In Wisconsin we go with the "clean shirt". It's hard to remember how long ago it was when our state association would send us the state patch when we registered and paid our fees. The patch would change colors each year and we would have to either remove old one and replace with current one....or just buy a new shirt to put the current patch on. The patch was required to be sewn on the left sleeve. It must have been about 20-25 years ago that we did that. Thank god we don't do that anymore...didn't have velcro back then. I got pretty good at sewing....my wife thought it would be a great way for me to learn how to do those "minor" repair jobs....like when you blow the seam out of your pants???

"Patches?" .... "We don't need no stink'n Patches!"

wl

[Edited by imaref on Jan 18th, 2005 at 11:35 AM]
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 11:40am
Do not give a damn!!

I think there are a lot of states that require their officials to wear a patch when they officiate. In Illinois we are required to wear an IHSA patch on our left sleeve for all high school games. I know other states have similar requirements for their high school officials as well. At least when I see pictures in Referee Magazine, I see all kinds of patches in all different places on the uniform.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 11:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
I've over-reacted.

Jeff you are arguing different things. Liability and insurance coverage are not the same thing. Having insurance coverage does not remove liability. Insurance coverage just means that (perhaps, if they want to and can't find a legal escape) the insurance company will pay for losses if you are found liable for malfeasance. It does not remove your responsibility for proper conduct of the contest.
I think you are completely missing my point. This is not who could be liable or who is not liable. I do not understand how an insurance company can hold an official responsible for knowing the status of another official. And how someone comes to a game does not tip me off as to if that person has a license or not. I have never seen anyone come to a game the way it was described in this post. But I have worked with officials that never had a license and dressed like everyone else that worked basketball games. If you know just by looking at people, then you need to set up a 900 number and start making the big bucks. Because I do not know how you can figure it out just by what someone looks like.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
Yeah....I don't understand this patch thing either. In Wisconsin we go with the "clean shirt". It's hard to remember how long ago it was when our state association would send us the state patch when we registered and paid our fees. The patch would change colors each year and we would have to either remove old one and replace with current one....or just buy a new shirt to put the current patch on. The patch was required to be sewn on the left sleeve. It must have been about 20-25 years ago that we did that. Thank god we don't do that anymore...didn't have velcro back then. I got pretty good at sewing....my wife thought it would be a great way for me to learn how to do those "minor" repair jobs....like when you blow the seam out of your pants???

"Patches?" .... "We don't need no stink'n Patches!"

wl

Oregon is the first state I've worked in that requires me to wear a patch. I worked in New York, New Mexico and California without having to wear patches there. We wear them on our referee shirt here in Oregon, not on the jacket. We have to use velcro or something else that's temporary to attach the patch with because you get a new one that's dated every year.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Oregon is the first state I've worked in that requires me to wear a patch. I worked in New York, New Mexico and California without having to wear patches there. We wear them on our referee shirt here in Oregon, not on the jacket. We have to use velcro or something else that's temporary to attach the patch with because you get a new one that's dated every year.
Smitty, just sew them on. Then next year before you sew on the new one, you clip the threads of the old one. NBD
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

I think you are completely missing my point. This is not who could be liable or who is not liable. I do not understand how an insurance company can hold an official responsible for knowing the status of another official. And how someone comes to a game does not tip me off as to if that person has a license or not. I have never seen anyone come to a game the way it was described in this post. But I have worked with officials that never had a license and dressed like everyone else that worked basketball games. If you know just by looking at people, then you need to set up a 900 number and start making the big bucks. Because I do not know how you can figure it out just by what someone looks like.

Peace [/B]
That's why you have to trust your assignor.

If that is what is written into the policy, then it is up to the assignor to be sure that everyone is working with certified officials so that the coverage is in force. If your assignor screwed up and scheduled you with someone that wasn't, then you'd probably have to come back and sue them for allowing your coverage to be voided out.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Smitty, just sew them on. Then next year before you sew on the new one, you clip the threads of the old one. NBD
I didn't buy any extra patches, so I need the velcro to move the patch from one shirt to the other. Seemed to make sense when I started last year. I think men think of the least amount of work necessary to get by.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I didn't buy any extra patches, so I need the velcro to move the patch from one shirt to the other. Seemed to make sense when I started last year. I think men think of the least amount of work necessary to get by.
But then you've got to sew on the velcro! Doesn't seem like that much less work.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
But then you've got to sew on the velcro! Doesn't seem like that much less work.
Yeah I know, I had a feeling you'd catch me on that one. Actually my wife has to sew on the velcro. If I did it, I'd probably have to move back to a state that didn't require patches.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, but you can get velcro that can be ironed on instead of sewed on.

And it's much easier to ask "Honey, can you iron this on for me?" than it is to ask "Honey, can you sew this on for me?"

Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
In Colorado, I wore a patch. There it ment that you passed the requirements to join IAABO. Rules and Floor test. You can work without the patch but you cannot do a Varsity game without one. Here in Texas I wear no patches whatsoever. Kind of makes you feel naked.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
Yeah....I don't understand this patch thing either. In Wisconsin we go with the "clean shirt".
I try to wear a clean shirt whenever I officiate as well. It makes me look better and it doesn't smell quite so bad.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

OverAndBack....

I knew it was just a matter of time that someone would pick-up on the "clean shirt" term!!!

phewww....

wl
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I know, I had a feeling you'd catch me on that one. Actually my wife has to sew on the velcro. If I did it, I'd probably have to move back to a state that didn't require patches.
I sew (actually, I pay someone to sew) the vecro strip on the shirt. On the patch, I use self-adhesive velcro. As long as you let it sit under pressure for a day or two when it is applied it holds very well.

I have 6-7 shirts and don't feel like buying that many patches. The velcro-patch attachment takes no more than a minute.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 06:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
In Colorado, I wore a patch. There it ment that you passed the requirements to join IAABO. Rules and Floor test.
Hmmmmm. I thought that the only thing needed to join IAABO was a mirror. You breathe on it. If the mirror fogs up, you pass and you're now a qualified IAABO official.