The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Opinion poll time again. I worked with a familiar partner two nights ago. He'd just bought a new shirt and bought the lightweight mesh version. He really likes it. I can see where they would be cooler, but I'm not so sure I'd like one. How about those of you that have worn them. What say you men and women?
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Opinion poll time again. I worked with a familiar partner two nights ago. He'd just bought a new shirt and bought the lightweight mesh version. He really likes it. I can see where they would be cooler, but I'm not so sure I'd like one. How about those of you that have worn them. What say you men and women?
I have heard a lot of others say the same thing. I have both the lightweight and the regular in black & white and grey but I personally don't notice any difference... But then that could be do to the wearing of a black T-shirt under them.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

I like the way the mesh shirts feel - they are lighter and less stiff than my standard shirt. The drawback is that the white part doesn't look as clean and white as the standard shirt does. If you are wearing a mesh shirt and your partner is wearing a standard shirt, the mesh shirt appears to be more worn or dirty, but it's really just not as white. I still wear it, though.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We rarely wear anything else.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

I have both and quite like the mesh. From a distance you can't really tell a difference.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Mesh IS lighter and cooler, if no undershirt is worn. For rec ball, summer ball, ms games, I don't have a problem with a mesh shirt. They do wear out faster, so they look dinjy sooner, and if your partner is wearing the poly or the interra-wear, you'll look less sharp. If you want to wear a lightweight undershirt to firm up the appearance of the color, it doesn't work. If you wear a white T, the black stripes look faded. If you wear a black T, the white stripes look grayed. But for sub level games, I think they're fine.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

I love the mesh. The ones I have look every bit as white as the regular shirts do if I wear a black t-shirt underneath. The only time I wear a regular shirt these days is when I'm working with a partner who is the kind of official who would rate a partner down for wearing a mesh shirt or a belt or something real "important" like that.

Z
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I keep one in my bag just for those real hot days that I have to work 4 games.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
What say you?
Well, Mr. O'Reilly, micro mesh is the way to go. No question and no spin.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 08:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

I wear the polyester for the most part. I really do not like the personal look of the mesh or micro mesh shirts. They do not seem like they hold their shape the same as the polyester. But that is me. I do not sweat like a pig or get so hot that I am bothered by the shirt I wear. I wear McDavid tights under my pants, so being hot is not an issue with me. I just like to be comfortable.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

This year I purchased two of The Officials Choice brand mesh shirts and they are great. They are a combination of the poly and mesh. They are very soft and breath very well. I'll never buy anything else.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Micro-mesh for me. I did wear the new grey for a game between interstate schools (my partner had an extra) and it had a nicer feel to the touch but felt about the same during the game. Interesting story, the father of one our fellow officials was at the game and told his son he saw officials working a high school game with grey shirts. The son told his dad he was full of it, that they must of been faded black & white stripes. Then the son found out we REALLY did wear grey. Not sure if has apologozed to his dad. Too funny.....
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Who's allowed to wear gray?

Just curious is all.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 05:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
Who's allowed to wear gray?

Just curious is all.
I wear those shirts for one assignor when working his college games. I cannot wear them any other time.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Between games of a doubleheader tonight I switched shirts just to have a fresh one on. I really hadn't noticed that they didn't have the heat turned on (or if they did, it was pretty low) and by the time we got to halftime of the second game, it was about 5 degrees outside and pretty chilly inside. I really noticed it when I took off my jacket for the third quarter of the second game. Yeesh.