The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I have my first game next week and I want to do a great job. I have never officiated,but I have watched the game all my life. I want to make a great impression. I'm also a little on the heavy side. Could you guys give me some pointers on how to have a great game? Thanks!
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

I remember my first game, I was horrible

But here are a few pointers.

Take it slow, don't rush, make sure you blow your whistle hard, and stand still as you make your calls using the proper signals and mechanics. In my first games they really didn't put as much focus on the calls I made, but how I made them. One evaluator tells every new official after he watches them, "Make sure you blow the whistle, use your voice and hustle" Those are the basics, don't be afraid to make the calls. Good Luck
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, good luck and have a good time. Try ro remember that no one is really there to look at you so don't try to be obvious. They will know your there by a strong whistle, voice and good mechanics. You will miss calls, we all do, every game. Make sure you have a pre-game with your partner (if possible). I am sure your partner has done this before and can appriciate your position. If it is not a policy in your association already, call your partner and introduce yourself and ask if he / she will be there early for a pre-game. If your partner was not planning on it, maybe he / she could make an effort to do so for your benefit.

Don't get flustered, your not anyone's friend or buddy out there so keep conversation to a minimum. Do your best. Go get em and welcome to the "club".
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 06:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

You're probably going to make some mistakes, but just realize it's not the end of the world. Put it into perspective and realize it's just a game. One thing you can do, even if it's only your first game, is hustle. Everyone always appreciates that.

Oh yeah - don't forget to tuck your whistle in your shirt before you take a leak.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The most important thing you can do is to HAVE FUN!!

If you feel like that's happening, then work on slow, clear signals, strong whistle and good posture.

Lastly, offer to buy your partner a cool one afterward. That's the best part of the evening.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

A good strong whistle. Louder than you expect you would need to - really blast that thing. Have a neat appearance, sharp mechanics, hustle and don't become flustered. Even if you miss a call (or calls), you're most definitely not the only one. Remember what you've learned to this point, and take a couple moments afterward to reflect on the game. I do this to remind myself of things I've done well and things I need to work on. Also, if you have a veteran partner, ask them to watch you and give you some constructive criticism.

Sara
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to shawn29
Along with all the other great advice youve received so far one thing that I think would have helped me calling my first game is, the first 5 or 6 trips up and down the court kind of repeat in your mind which way which color team is going. If im lead on White teams end ill be thinking, ok,white is going this way. When im on the other end, ok, red team is going this way. This way, ball goes out of bounds at your line, you saw it go off of white, you know its red's ball, and you know what direction you need to point.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

AWESOME!

My first game was like a huge shot of addiction-creating adreniline. I have yet to lose the craving.

From what I recall (and memory joggers from other newbies), your first game will seem like EVERYTHING is happening and you are only seeing a little bit. Most of this is because you have not developed "filters" to focus on your PRIMARY area and learned to anticipate the action which allows you to get in the best position.

Do not be a ball-watcher. If you need further description I suggest you get find a local mentor to help you with the many questions you will encounter as you get court time.

Best wishes and HAVE FUN!

Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

I just worked a rec league game last week with a guy who never played and had literally never been trained to be on the court. He showed up with black nylon pants with a blue stripe down the side and a red lanyard with a metal pea whistle. Newbie was an understatement.

As this pertains to you, everyone in the gym (even though it was little kids) knew by my partner's appearance that he'd never reffed before, even after I donated one of my Fox 40s. So I suggest that the one thing you can control is your appearance, wear beltless polyester slacks, polished all black shoes and make sure you can keep your shirt in your pants. Oh, and don't forget the Fox 40 on a smitty. Looking like a ref is half the battle in your first game and one you can control.

Finally, during the game, BLOW YOUR WHISTLE. Be confident in what you see and don't be afraid to make the call. Blow the whistle strong and confidently. You've seen and maybe played ball, so trust yourself. Welcome, and good luck.