The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA

Tonight my P is administering a throwin on an OOB situation to A1 on the endline in their front court. B1 reaches across the endline plane without making contact with the ball or thrower in and he blows the whistle and calls a delay of game on B1 for reaching through the boundary line.

I have 03 rule book...After reading 7-6-4-b and 9-4-3 no opponent of the thrower in shall have any part of his/her person over the inside plane of the boundary line. But art 17 states B1 makes contact with the ball

NFHS rule 7.6.3 and penalty 9.2.11

Question is, should a delay warning be given when the opponent of the thower in reaches through the plane before the throwin occurs, or when the opponent interferes with the throw in by contacting the ball on the OOB side?
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

i don't have my rule book with me right now so i can't site a specific rule.

If the opponent reaches through the plane without contact it is a warning. The next time they reach through it is a technical.

If the opponent reaches through and touches the ball, automatic T.

If the opponent reaches through the plane and makes contact with the thrower it is an intentional foul.

If the thrower puts the ball through the plane the opponent may grab the ball with no penalty against them.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

You started your post by stating NCAA but then you cited an NFHS rule. So which are you talking about?
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
You started your post by stating NCAA but then you cited an NFHS rule. So which are you talking about?
The situation happened under NCAA rules. I was just comparing the rules differences. In NCAA an indirect tech would apply if under certain circumstances, where as in FED it would be a direct under the same circumstances.

Come on Smitty, gimma a break!
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Dude, relax...I was just trying to figure out what you were asking. I could answer if you were referring to NFHS but not if you were asking about NCAA. Why do you seem to have such a problem with me?
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dude, relax...I was just trying to figure out what you were asking. I could answer if you were referring to NFHS but not if you were asking about NCAA. Why do you seem to have such a problem with me?
I have been on this board for 2+ years and have respected your responses and agreed with you most of time on baseball and basketball issues. I think we may have got off on the wrong foot in the other post regarding talking to fans, but your opinion is welcomed and appreciated. Let's not hold a grudge!

I have NO problem with you! I hope you have none with me!

We are just trying to be the best we can be! We can agree to disagree, right?

So please, provide any input you may have in regard to my posts.

Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Quote:
I have been on this board for 2+ years and have respected your responses and agreed with you most of time on baseball and basketball issues. I think we may have got off on the wrong foot in the other post regarding talking to fans, but your opinion is welcomed and appreciated. Let's not hold a grudge!

I think you may have me confused with someone else. I don't post in the baseball forum - only basketball. I certainly don't have a grudge. I just thought your last few posts (the ones about talking to fans) and the one here made it seem like I had said said something you took personally. Anyway, the stuff about talking to fans I think went way out of proportion. No worries. I am fine with you.

I really can't say anything more about your original post in this thread. I know nothing about NCAA rules. I'm sure someone else will give you the right answer.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think you may have me confused with someone else. I don't post in the baseball forum - only basketball. I certainly don't have a grudge. I just thought your last few posts (the ones about talking to fans) and the one here made it seem like I had said said something you took personally. Anyway, the stuff about talking to fans I think went way out of proportion. No worries. I am fine with you.

I really can't say anything more about your original post in this thread. I know nothing about NCAA rules. I'm sure someone else will give you the right answer.
I'm sorry! I thought you were also a baseball official. And yes, the post on talking to fans WAS blown out of proportion.

And, if you knew me, I take everything personally, LOL JK

Much Respect!

Peace
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sorry! I thought you were also a baseball official. And yes, the post on talking to fans WAS blown out of proportion.

And, if you knew me, I take everything personally, LOL JK

Much Respect!

Peace
Okay, everybody, step in...

GROUP HUG!! (appropriate gif here with kindergarten kids hugging)