The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Hello fellow officials.I am looking for some help. I am a 29 year old basketball official that has been officiating for the past two years at the highschool level (jv and varsity) i will also be officiating AAU games as well in Michigan.
My goal is to one day ref at the College level wether it is D1, D2,D3 NAIA JUCO etc. My dream is to one day ref at the NCAA D 1 college.

I have been advised to go to camps to get noticed and to obviously get better as an official.
Is that the best way??
What is your advise for an aspiring official??
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

1) connect with a partner who is known in the area and also has experience to learn from - be open to learning

2) signals - a big difference in officials is the professional look to their signals.

3) work at it - no substitute for studying officiating -book and observing on court - also, get someone to video tape you - even a few minutes will be revealing

4) work as many games as possible and consider each game the "Final Four" to the kids playing it - do your best at every level

5) handling coaches - be professional, yet friendly and be willing to answer their questions - but you don't have to take their guff - officials who control bad coaches' behavior are respected

Just my 2 cents
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rviotto13
Hello fellow officials.I am looking for some help. I am a 29 year old basketball official that has been officiating for the past two years at the highschool level (jv and varsity) i will also be officiating AAU games as well in Michigan.
My goal is to one day ref at the College level wether it is D1, D2,D3 NAIA JUCO etc. My dream is to one day ref at the NCAA D 1 college.

I have been advised to go to camps to get noticed and to obviously get better as an official.
Is that the best way??
What is your advise for an aspiring official??
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Where in Michigan do you live?
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

I live in Sault Ste. Marie. Why do you ask??
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Camps are great and some are greater. get advice from those that know as to which camps will help you best.

Go watch the best refs in your area and sit right behind the table.

Grab the coat tails of those that are "in the club". They can introduce you to the decisionmakers. Maybe they play golf together or something and you can tag along and get to know. Things like that go along ways.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

The best advise that I could give is this: Learn game management skills and manage the coaches. If you can learn these two things (and your judgement is not skewed), then you can go a long way in the college game. I think now that the way you look (ie can you run the floor) and the way you carry yourself makes a difference as well.

When you go to camps, never disagree with people who are watching the games. You might not agree with what they are telling you, but just bite your lip and say "yes sir/ma'am" and take it as a learning experience. Take a little piece of everyone that watches your game in a camp situation and you can become a quality official.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Like you I started officiating a little later (I was 27 when I first became licensed). I'm trying to move up the ladder as quickly as possible and work hard at becoming a better official (which is why I'm on this board. A great thing to do is get to know good crews and watch them. Saturday afternoon I had a freshman double header. A 3 man crew (with some bigger names in the state) came in for a JV-Varsity double header. I didn't finish in time for the JV game, but between the games I went up and introduced myself, and asked if they would mind if I rode along in the dressing room between games (to hear their pregame) and at halftime. They were more than happy to have me. I picked up a few things from them, got involved in discussions about plays in the first half, and made some good contacts that I hope will help me in the future. At the end of the night, they asked for my email and we're going to try to do a ride along where I'll go work the JV game and they'll switch in and out and then I'll watch the varsity game. They were also good about giving me some names of people to contact to get some more varsity contacts. I've also had good luck with camps.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rviotto13
I live in Sault Ste. Marie. Why do you ask??

Mick (moderator) and I live in Michigan as well. Probably can hook ya up with some info.