The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 01:22pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
http://www.county.allegheny.pa.us/feedback/

That is a link to the feedback for the county in which the Judge presides. Everyone should send a complaint to show our displeasure with this verdict. People will take note of what is going on, we have a voice we need to use it.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Thanks! Great idea! I'll be posting there and telling everyone I know to, too.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Done deal.

I had a suggestion to the county:
Fire the judge that handed down the verdict.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

I intend to write.

Think I'll ask the judge what he would think if someone entered his court and started throwing people around. There are a lot of similarities between a judge, his civic duties, and a sports official with his encumbant enforcement duties.

It is very difficult for me to accept that a judge wouldn't protect someone in a position and with duties/responsibilities that are similar to his own.

From what I know of the case from reading the news articles, the outcome is unbelievable.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

I've already received a response from the court with the judges name and phone number. it's probably automated but still. i plan to call and see if i can understand what his thinking was if he will comment.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:09pm
I drank what?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
I've already received a response from the court with the judges name and phone number. it's probably automated but still. i plan to call and see if i can understand what his thinking was if he will comment.
Please post that information in this thread. Maybe we can get his email. We should also find the email address of a local TV Station and copy them on EVERYTHING we send in this matter. IT WILL GET AIR TIME IF THERE ARE ENOUGH EMAILS.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

That is a link to the feedback for the county in which the Judge presides. Everyone should send a complaint to show our displeasure with this verdict. People will take note of what is going on, we have a voice we need to use it

Done!
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:31pm
M.A.S.H.

My letter reads as follows:

Assault (n.) 1. a sudden violent attack 2. an UNLAWFUL attempt or threat to do bodily harm.

Sports Official (n.) 1. a person holding an office or charged with certain duties (enforcing the sports rules).

Assault on a Sports Official 1. an UNLAWFUL attempt or threat to do bodily harm on a person holding an office or charged with certain duties (enforcing the sports rules)

How is it possible not to consider body slamming a person dressed in a stripped shirt and black pants (i.e. the universal attire of a basketball official) assault on a sports official? Seriously, what is it going to take? A man to get killed -- who loves the game of basketball, officiating, and helping kids -- by a fan just because a foul isn’t called on his kid. Based on the criteria used to decide this case, a basically good guy could then body slam a judge that he disagreed with and be acquitted of this charge. With this, there would be no need to serve any jail time. How many judges do you think would agree with this? I would be willing to bet NONE of them would. This is because there are laws in place to protect judges and their duties – and when a situation towards a judge occurs, these laws are carried out harshly so that other situations don’t occur. There are also laws in place to protect sports officials and their duties. However, they don’t do any good if you don’t enforce this laws and show the public that they will be used. This verdict is absolutely absurd; and people wonder why our great country is headed in a downward spin.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

The news articles include an email address for the author. I copied them my comments:
(initial article) [email protected]
(follow-up articles) [email protected]

I am a sports official and have been following your reporting of Judge John Zottola's case concerning Peter Dukovich's assault of Ron Bell. Many sports officials have been following your work and the case. In general we are appalled with the decision.

I sent the following comments to the county's web-site and thought perhaps you would be interested. Judge Zottola appears to have committed a terrible disservice to all sports officials. Sports officials put themselves in harms way for love of the game and to make the contest possible. They generally do not have the backing of armed guards as they make their decisions - they are really hanging their necks out. Judge Zottola's decision appears to have made it more likely for us to get hung... legally.

My comments to Allegheny county:

Recent decision by Judge John Zottola acquitting Peter Dukovich of assaulting an official is unbelievable and from an external viewpoint, appears to be extremely unjust.

That the defendant didn't know he was body slamming the referee is incomprehensible. There are only players and referees allowed on the court. Does this mean that Dukovich thought he was body slamming a player, a minor?

This decision is a severe injustice. A man's life has been drastically altered SOLELY because of the actions of Peter Dukovich. Neither adult Dukovich should have been on the court. At least the wife pleaded guilty for her disruptive actions. She apparently had some of her wits about her. Not sure how the husband could be so unaware of his location and his actions. Only because they went onto the court, did any of this happen. Essentially, they instigated and caused the ensuing results. They destroyed a man's physical health and completely altered the rest of his life.

In the 'honorable' Judge's courtroom, proper decorum and activities are maintained because of the judge's authority and the threat of penalty. Much the same is true on the basketball court; proper decorum and mature activities are ensured by the sports official's authority and threat of penalties. The roles of a judge and a sports official are quite similar - although the penalties are on a completely different scale. Given Judge Zottola's inability to fully grasp this situation, it would likely be acceptable to him for someone with a separate agenda to enter his courtroom and start enforcing their own sense of justice, imposing penalties - physical, vicious penalties. Essentially overruling his (the judge's) authority.

Judge Zottola's decision sends a message that this immature, vicious behavior is condoned. The 'honorable' judge says that fan behavior is getting out of hand yet he basically condones this behavior with a very minor sentence of simple assault. Body slamming is simple assault?!

For me, having seen this heinous injustice, it is no small wonder why fan behavior is getting out of control. Those in our society charged with controlling fan behavior, such as Judge Zottola, are not.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Done.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

The comments I sent in are as follows:

The outcome of the assault case of Bell/Dokovich just doesn't seem right. How can Dokovich challenge the intelligence of the Judge, Court and Mr. Bell by saying he didn't know Bell was an official. The striped shirt and whistle are exactly what differentiates us from fans/coaches/players. I guess it worked, the Judge fell for it. That is an absurd and outrageous decision. Does he really think justice was served?
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Post the number please.
412-350-3676
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Just sent one. Hopefully this helps.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 08:43am
I drank what?

Keep up the posting, it is important to our cause, tell other officials of this thread, link other boards to this thread, we must get as many individuals on this as possible. Don't forget to include a local Allegheany (sp?) news station in your email, they will follow the story, this is VERY news worthy.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Reply from one of the reporters

I sent a note to both the county and the two reporters from that newspaper and got this response from Ron Cook, one of the reporters:

David, thanks so much for your feedback. All I can tell you is I, too, am disappointed with the judge's decision. I lost a little faith in our legal system today. My best to you and yours.