The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

There were two very interesting possible 2-10s in the Nevada/UTEP game that I saw tonight.
1. About the 9-minute mark of the first half a Nevada guard is charged with a personal foul. It is non-shooting. The scoreboard showed Nevada with 5 team fouls and UTEP with six prior to the foul. As the official reports, the Nevada coach is WAY out on the floor and is correctly assessed a T.
The officials shot the 2FTs for the T, then shot a 1-and-1, and continued the game from there. I thought that the 1-and-1 was unmerited. I can't be sure though as the team foul count on the scoreboard could have been incorrect.

2. UTEP nailed a shot that was called a three with only a couple of seconds remaining in regulation to tie the game at 70. Nevada inbounded and launched a halfcourt shot that missed as time expired. During the intermission between the end of the second half and the start of the OT period, the Nevada coach asked the officials to check whether the shot really was a three. They went to the monitor and said that it was. So, I'm convinced that they got it right, but it would have been a crazy ending if they would have needed to change it to a two. There would have been no time left, so the game would have been over. I have never seen, nor heard of, a D1 game that ended with a correctable error being fixed. I'm sure that would have made SportsCenter for a week since the game was on ESPN2.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
There were two very interesting possible 2-10s in the Nevada/UTEP game that I saw tonight.
1. About the 9-minute mark of the first half a Nevada guard is charged with a personal foul. It is non-shooting. The scoreboard showed Nevada with 5 team fouls and UTEP with six prior to the foul. As the official reports, the Nevada coach is WAY out on the floor and is correctly assessed a T.
The officials shot the 2FTs for the T, then shot a 1-and-1, and continued the game from there. I thought that the 1-and-1 was unmerited. I can't be sure though as the team foul count on the scoreboard could have been incorrect.

2. UTEP nailed a shot that was called a three with only a couple of seconds remaining in regulation to tie the game at 70. Nevada inbounded and launched a halfcourt shot that missed as time expired. During the intermission between the end of the second half and the start of the OT period, the Nevada coach asked the officials to check whether the shot really was a three. They went to the monitor and said that it was. So, I'm convinced that they got it right, but it would have been a crazy ending if they would have needed to change it to a two. There would have been no time left, so the game would have been over. I have never seen, nor heard of, a D1 game that ended with a correctable error being fixed. I'm sure that would have made SportsCenter for a week since the game was on ESPN2.
Thanks for ruining the end for me! lol

I'm watching the game now, we're 6 hours ahead of EST and programming is prerecorded.

I'm glad you didn't tell me who won!

That shot just went up, definately a 3 and a good shot at that!