Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by eastcoastref
I guess you have to have more than 1,600 posts on this forum to have a valid opinion about anything.
No, but you have to have more than... (let's see how many am I up to now?)...4,000 to express sarcasm or patronizing irony. Get it? (said very patronizingly!)
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by carldog
I've certainly seen NBA refs T up a stare.
"Stop eyeballing me Rasheed!"
"WHACK! Get out!" - Ronnie Garretson

Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 08:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I guess you have to have more than 1,600 posts on this forum to have a valid opinion about anything.
No, but you don't have to be sanctimonius, either.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, you just come off as very arrogant when you post something like that when you've been here 4 months and the guy you're popping off to has been here over 4 years.

Loosen up. If you can't have a little fun on the floor, you're probably not enjoying yourself.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Was wondering if anyone has ever given a technical foul to a coach for staring?

I had a game last week when a coach took a timeout and rather than address his players, he chose to stare me down for almost the entire 30-second timeout. I was very tempted to hit him with a technical for unsportsmanlike conduct, but I chose not to because my partner had already given him one earlier in the game.

He had no assistant coaches and if he was ejected the kids (who were no problem the whole game) wouldn't have had anyone to coach them. Any thoughts?
Do I have an eye booger coach?
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

I guess that's the problem. I'm out working games, going to the gym to stay and shape and attending 3-4 camps a year while you guys are hammering away at the computer. I guess that's why I'm doing some college ball now after only four years as an official.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

I think that if a coach wants to waste an entire TO staring at me then so be it. He only gets 5 and if he was worht a lick he would provide some guidance to his team. I don't know this specific coach I am talking here in generalities.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I would do the following. And correct me if I'm wrong; I only have 27 posts after all! (wink, wink)

First of all, I'd make sure to let the coach see that his staring is not influencing me and most of all, I would NOT avoid his glance for all the duration of the timeout because he would know that he's making me feel uncomfortable. I'd just try to stay natural and after a while, I'd go see him and ask : "Can I help you with something, coach?"

After that, it would be easy to improvise depending on his answer.

What do you think?
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

I like that approach. Maybe that's what I'll try next time.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess that's the problem. I'm out working games, going to the gym to stay and shape and attending 3-4 camps a year while you guys are hammering away at the computer. I guess that's why I'm doing some college ball now after only four years as an official.
If you're such a great official, why did you come here asking about what to do with the stare?
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 08:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would stare back and hope he opens his mouth. But I would not call something because of stare. It might not take a lot after that to get a T, but not just for staring.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow! College ball! You must be a great official after only 4 years! I guess that's why you're here, still trying to decide when to call a T.

NEWSFLASH: Nobody here is impressed. Nobody here gives a $hit.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 09:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Hate to have to tell ya this, SuperRef, but there's quite a few regular posters here that work a lot of top level games, stay in shape, go to camps, do some college ball- and still have the time to post here and share their knowledge with everybody. RockyRoad is certainly high on that list. Somehow, I think that you blowing your own horn without really having ever added anything very useful to this site doesn't impress any of them that much- unfortunately. Jmo.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jan 12th, 2005 at 09:28 PM]
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by carldog
I've certainly seen NBA refs T up a stare.
"Stop eyeballing me Rasheed!"
"WHACK! Get out!" - Ronnie Garretson

Followed by, "Get away from me Steve," to Steve Smith, "He was trying to intimidate me Steve and he's NOT."
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

I would be tempted to "review the current situation" with my partner. Meet him at mid-court, discuss the foul count, the location of the throw-in, where to eat on the way home. In other words, just plain ignore the coach. If he wants to spend the time out giving my backside the hairy eyeball, so be it. Hopefully he'll give it a miss and go coach his team.