The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Okay I believe in Illinois this year, and maybe even the National Fed, made a rule where cheerleaders could not be on the endlines. Is that correct or am I just dreaming.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SteveM
I was under the impression is was for State series games only. But of course, I could be wrong.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Illinois Rule

It is for the State Series only. Here is the original recommendation:

In order to maintain the integrity of the playing surface and protect competitors, local managers of all tournament contests will create a safe zone along each baseline that will be devoid of any persons (such as cheerleaders or media personnel) or other obstructions. This safe area will extend three (3) feet from the baseline towards the facility’s back wall, stage, or bleachers and shall include the 12 foot area located across the free throw lane extended plus seven (7) additional feet on each side of the lane extended. This 26-foot area shall also extend back a minimum of three feet from the baseline towards the facility’s back wall, stage, or bleachers.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Angry

Cheerleaders should go out for a "REAL" sport!
Their athletic talents should not be wasted with primping in front of the mirror....practicing their "whatever" they do in hallways/cafeterias prior to games causing a log jam at the gym entrance....and just getting in the way during the game oblivious to what's happening on the court.

Sorry to those parents who have kids aspiring to be "popular" and developing their "self esteem" in this type of activity. Probably a Technical Foul on me for being "unsportsmanlike".

wl

Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Never had this issue before but already twice this season I've had to side step a flipping cheerleader. I'm not cussing her, I was minding my own business between quarters, standing where I was supposed to and here she comes, flip, flip, flip, I thought she would stop but she kept on flipping towards me. Sure get a chuckle from the crowd.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

As the gym is an extension of the classroom, cheerleaders are an extension of the prep experieince. As long as they follow the simple rules of when they can or cannot be on the floor (full time outs but not 30 second etc.) we need to take it all in perspective. I have had my share of run-ins with cheerleaders and having to work around them on endlines but you just need to handle it as the professionals we are. If there is an alternative area where the cheerleaders can work, we can suggest that but otherwise unless they are really interfering, enjoy being a part of their educational experience. As part of the pre game on court duties I often locate the captain of the squad and talk to them. This get them on our side and does help.

[Edited by ChiliBob on Jan 13th, 2005 at 12:14 PM]
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

From the NFHS Spirit Guide:

2-1-7
Stunts shall not be performed during a basketball or volleyball game when the ball is in play, including free throws.

2-1-11
Cheerleaders must not stand behind the free throw line extended.

I wish the NFHS would add this rule to the Basketball Rules Book, so that it could be beter enforced. The NCHSAA has added the folowing to the state Handbook:

CHEERLEADERS: Cheerleaders must remain seated during all live balls, which includes after the free throw shooter is handed the ball. Cheerleaders may not come onto the floor during 30-second timeouts.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

I have no problems...I run them over once or twice then they get out of the way.

Ususally if I have a problem in the end line I'll find the head cheerleader and tell her/him to get back while we're down here.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Tony - why, pray tell, do you have a copy of the NFHS spirit guide?
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 10:15pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Kind of wondering that myself! Anyways, around here (in IL), all cheerleaders know what to do if you are lead--or in there terms, down on the baseline. They always step back and give you room to work (at the JV/V level of course)...now, down at 7/8th... that sometimes is a little different of a story.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, you asked!

Quote:
I don't. The issue came up on the NFHS discussion board. I did some part time work at the local rec center and they had a spirit guide. I found the rules, looking through it one boring evening. I then mentioned the rule in the NFHS discussion. No one believed me until a cheer coach quoted the guide. I simply copied and pasted for this discussion.

http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...;f=11;t=000581
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Okay, you asked!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
I don't. The issue came up on the NFHS discussion board. I did some part time work at the local rec center and they had a spirit guide. I found the rules, looking through it one boring evening. I then mentioned the rule in the NFHS discussion. No one believed me until a cheer coach quoted the guide. I simply copied and pasted for this discussion.

http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...;f=11;t=000581
Quick thinking Tony, but we don't buy it. Rumor has it that you wear your cheer outfit around the house while singing, "throw that ball against the wall now rebound hey-hey-hey."

Z
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me like you're fantasizing. I bet you'd like that, wouldn't you?
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

As long as Tony doesn't get shot in the leg while wearing his cheerleading boots, he'll be just fine.
Just a general comment:
As far as I know the requirement that cheerleaders stay off the floor during 30-second time-outs is a NFHS rule and should be enforced nationwide.
However, there is nothing that says that they can't stand during a live ball. That part is only effective in NC.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 08:50am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I hate cheerleaders, they get in the way while I'm trying to watch a game and when I'm officiating they get in the way on the baseline. I actually had some back talk me when I asked them to give us some room on the baseline. I solve it by running full bore in transition as the lead and stopping on a dime right in front of them, never fails, they think I am going to run them over so they get out of the way. Sometimes you have to step on some toes, literally.