The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 07:27am
Huck Finn

Does anyone have any situations that warrant a "you really didn't think you were going to get away with that did you?"

Last night I was on Andrews AFB doing intramurals and my partner (we are in two conferences together and one IAABO board) calls a foul. The player jumps around a bit and then pulls his shirt up over his head (the arms were still in but nothing else) in protest. Whack!
The next game my partner calls traveling and the player falls on the floor slapping the floor in protest. Whack! He says it is something against him and then asks me what he did. I tell him, with a look of amazement, that he got the T for throwing a tantrum. He says "I can do whatever I want out here." I told him "OK, do whatever you want." We didn't have any more problems from him.
Oh, the player from the first game told me that he can do that (take his shirt off) in the D league (NBDL) without anything happening. I told him whoever lets him get away with that will not be on TV (in the NBA) any time soon. Plus, I'm thinking to myself he can't be in the D league because he can't even dominate during an Air Force intramural game. This guy was a mess!
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 09:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun

Oh, the player from the first game told me that he can do that (take his shirt off) in the D league (NBDL) without anything happening. I told him whoever lets him get away with that will not be on TV (in the NBA) any time soon.
Don't take that one to the bank, Tom. They get away with a helluva lot worse than that in the NBA before it's "T"time. Jmo, but I'd say that you wouldn't see a ref on TV in the NBA for very long if he actually did call a "T" for that. It's a whole 'nother world up there from what we do. That act probably doesn't rate a "T" in most NCAA games either, as long as the face is just covered and the shirt doesn't come off. Of course, if you felt that the player in your game did it to show you up, then all I gotta say is "good call". I wasn't there, and I sureashell ain't about to question your or any other official's call in situations like that.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Don't take that one to the bank, Tom. They get away with a helluva lot worse than that in the NBA before it's "T"time.
Well, maybe I'm picturing this differently, JR, but it sounds to me like the player pulled the bottom of his shirt up over his face, exposing his stomach and chest. That would get anybody a T in the NBA. Now maybe you're picturing the player just pulling the neckline of the shirt up to hide his face (leaving the rest of the shirt pretty much tucked in). In that case, I'd agree, no T. But from the original description, I'd whack in a heartbeat in an NCAA game, and I'd bet a lot that the NBA guys would too.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Don't take that one to the bank, Tom. They get away with a helluva lot worse than that in the NBA before it's "T"time.
Well, maybe I'm picturing this differently, JR, but it sounds to me like the player pulled the bottom of his shirt up over his face, exposing his stomach and chest. That would get anybody a T in the NBA. Now maybe you're picturing the player just pulling the neckline of the shirt up to hide his face (leaving the rest of the shirt pretty much tucked in). In that case, I'd agree, no T. But from the original description, I'd whack in a heartbeat in an NCAA game, and I'd bet a lot that the NBA guys would too.
Chuck, I've seen guys get away with that exact same act in the NBA and not get "T"ed up- Rasheed Wallace, for one. They usually do it to show that they don't agree with a call, but they're biting their tongues. It's not that much different than them sticking the bottom or neck of their shirt in their mouth. As long as they put the shirt back down in a reasonable amount of time and don't add any histrionics or additional verbiage, they've gotten away with it. As for the NCAA, run that one by your assignors or the D1 guys at camp sometime. I'm kinda interested in what their take on it might be.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Not sure I agree, but that's OK. But you go explain to the coach while I administer the FTs, OK partner?
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't worry about what's allowed in the NBDL or NBA. Most of us would probably agree that that is a whole different animal when it comes to officiating. In a post a couple of years ago, the head of NBA officiating said that (to paraphrase) the right call is not always the best call. To me, that's when the game becomes entertainment and not a sport. No offense to those of you that do work those leagues or want to work those leagues, but its just not basketball to me.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 12:19pm
Huck Finn

OK, I went to lunch and I need to be clear. He pulled the shirt off to the point where I would have been able to see his back and neck if I was behind him. His arms were still in the shirt but that was about it. I left out the fact that he took the shirt off and threw it on the floor directly in front of the table on his way to the bench. Someone from his team quickly picked it up or there would have been more Ts. He had already received one T in the first half for talking trash to the other bench. This was a close game too.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
OK, I went to lunch and I need to be clear. He pulled the shirt off to the point where I would have been able to see his back and neck if I was behind him. His arms were still in the shirt but that was about it. I left out the fact that he took the shirt off and threw it on the floor directly in front of the table on his way to the bench. Someone from his team quickly picked it up or there would have been more Ts. He had already received one T in the first half for talking trash to the other bench. This was a close game too.
That's more like it.

Good T in my book.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 12:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
That sounds definitely like a righteous "T" to me, Tom.

Still, I don't think that I've seen too many called in the NBA like that. If they took the shirt off and then threw it -- yup. But just pulling it up over their face in the NBA - not unless some other action went along with it. Gotta say too, though, that I watch very little NBA any more. I'd rather watch basketball.