The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I was reffing a youth league game (9-12yrs old) earlier today which took a bad turn about halfway through the game. I was doing the game solo and one player had a little too much attitude than I liked which seemed to be increasingly getting worst as the game continued. The league had told me previously that they did not want us to give out T's to premote sportsmanship (???? How that makes sense I do not know???)

Then I noticed one little african american boy seemed to be getting hacked a lot during the game. I don't believe it was on purpose, most of the kids were still learning the basics of defence. So I simply explained to the kids that they would have to stop hacking like that or else someone will get hurt (This wasen't a competitive league... more developmental). Then I simply explained the basic concept of defense to the kids after being asked by the coaches to do so. The kids seemed to understand but the player with the attitude then walked past the african american boy and said loudly " Not that it really matters anyway, he's only a N[racial slur]". I turned around stunned as the same kid came next to me expecting me to hand him the ball to inbound and laugh with him.

I automatically blew my whistle, and called a T. I told the boy to leave the court and talked with his coach who agreed with me 100%. The coach then told the kid to find his parents and that they would have to talk to the convenor in charge about his penality but for now would have to leave.

This is where it really gets interesting, after the game the convenor and the boys parents come to talk to me, for what I thought, was a to file out and incedent report or tell them what happend. But instead I find them asking me why I called a T, and how I should have handled the situation differently.

I told them flat out that I stood by what I did and that I knew that I shouldn't expect the same level of play and [I say this VERRRRY loosely] mature demeanor of the older levels of play. But I do expect and demand a certain respect from anyone (coach, player, parent) towards me and their fellow players. The kid needed to be taught that that behaviour was unacceptable and there will be consequences.

Oh and of course, the father went on about kids will be kids, but it was clear where the kid had gotten it from. They both eventually walked away knowing that I stood by what I called. But I couldn't help but shake my head as I saw my friend and referee telling another kid to watch his language on another court.

Just a vent I guess, or maybe asking if I handled this correctly?

I'm guessing that this is only gonna get worse as I get older (I'm 16), hopefully those grey hairs won't be popping up anytime soon
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

You absolutely did the right thing.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

This is 2005, not 1955. Unreal.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, you did what was right, but it says a lot about the league that they want to tie down the refs by not allowing a T. The warning without penalty on the other court is a perfect reason why the sportsmanship that we see in hs continues to decline.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that you did the right thing. I started officiating in a recreational basketball league when I was 14 years old, and throughout they taught us that any racial/ethnic slurs or bad language of any type was worthy of a technical, as well as all bad sportsmanship in general. I would be weary of working in a youth league that does place good sportsmanship as a top priority, and also one that doesn't support their officials for making an obvious call such as that. I can't believe that they really told you not to give out T's and/or not to promote good sportsmanship. That absolutely blows my mind.

Sara
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 10:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by kristal_15
Just a vent I guess, or maybe asking if I handled this correctly?

I'm guessing that this is only gonna get worse as I get older (I'm 16), hopefully those grey hairs won't be popping up anytime soon
kristal_15,
I don't even know you, but I am still proud of you.
mick

Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

NIMBY

In my game, that kind of behavior gets dealt with, no questions asked. If the league has a problem with that, then I don't need to work there. A league that does not value sportsmanship and does not support their officials is not worth the time. Good job!
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

A developemental league should be stressing SPORTSMANSHIP more than ANYTHING!!!!!! You were correct in what you did. What he did was not only unsportsmanlike, but derogatory and racial. At that rate, that young man starting his life in the wrong direction. Hopefully this will teach him something and he will become a better person. The problem is if the adults around him are saying "boys will be boys," he is not going to hear very many good things. The “boys will be boys” line is a horrible cop out as a parent. We need to teach our kids to respect others and be good people in society.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Good job, girl!
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 10:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by zebra44
And your point is? Not much has changed, just the tactics.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 11:24pm
Esteemed Participant

Kristal, I don't know you either, but you've done us proud! You ever move to SW Washington state, we'll give you all the games you could ask for, and you won't have to worry about being backed-up!! Nicely done...
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 11:40pm
M.A.S.H.

Thumbs up Re: NIMBY

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
In my game, that kind of behavior gets dealt with, no questions asked. If the league has a problem with that, then I don't need to work there. A league that does not value sportsmanship and does not support their officials is not worth the time. Good job!
For those younger ones... that stands for Not In My Back Yard! Thought I'd point that out. Anyways, kristal good job.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 12:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Peace
puleeze.
Things may not be perfect, and we certainly have a lot of room for improvement. But things have changed. Let's acknowledge the progress we've made as we continue to make more.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 12:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Kristal,
Well done. I agree that withholding T's is a poor way of promoting sportsmanship. It's like saying passing illiterate students to the next grade level promotes academics. Being young, your options for games to work may be limited, but hold on to your backbone and you'll do just fine. And I don't mean just as an official either.

10 attagirls to Kristal.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Peace
puleeze.
Things may not be perfect, and we certainly have a lot of room for improvement. But things have changed. Let's acknowledge the progress we've made as we continue to make more.
Let's just agree right now to disagree and skip the flame war, guys, okay?
Closed Thread