The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Ok kids here we go.... Discussion at our association meeting tonite... A1 brings the ball up the court throws a long pass (from the back court) , intended for A2. A pass that is gonna be close to an alley oop. A2 misses the ball it hits the back board and bounces back to A1 who is the first to touch it in the back court. Do we have a violation?
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Ok kids here we go.... Discussion at our association meeting tonite... A1 brings the ball up the court throws a long pass (from the back court) , intended for A2. A pass that is gonna be close to an alley oop. A2 misses the ball it hits the back board and bounces back to A1 who is the first to touch it in the back court. Do we have a violation?
Basketball Rules Fundamentals, #19 says the backboard is treated the same as the floor, except the THROWER'S backboard does not constitute a part of a dribble.

The debate hinges on this being or not being a try. I'd say it's not, so a backcourt violation would occur. 4.4.4 is the closest caseplay I've found and that deals with the ball striking an official and going back to the player, and an official...like the backboard...is part of the floor.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 07:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
If it's "close to an alley oop" and it hits the backboard, that's good enough for me. I'm calling it a "try", followed by no backcourt violation. If the player hadda line-drived it at the board, I mighta thought about it- but I also might give him the benefit of the doubt on that one too. Have to see that one, though.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1 brings the ball up the court throws a long pass (from the back court) , intended for A2.
You said it: A1 threw a "long pass." Since team control remains with Team A on a pass, and since the backboard is treated as the frontcourt floor, you have a violation here when A1 catches the pass in the backcourt.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

ok this is going where I expected

ok, this is pretty much the debate we had at our meeting. All of the above are good points and at one time or another, I have agreed with all of them. I personally would tend to argue JR's point a little stronger than the rest. Here is another point I think should be brought up and see what effect it has on the discussion.

There has been lots of discussion before about "passing" the ball to yourself off of your own backboard. If you hold to the theory that it is legal to end your dribble in the front court, throw it off of your backboard catch it and then continue the dribble, then I ask this.

If I remember correctly the theory was that, this is legal based on the fact that player and team control end during a try, and if it hits the glass it "is" a try. If my recollection is correct, and I am sure I will be corrected if it isn't, then, isn't this the same situation just from a different area of the court?

ok continue as you were LOL
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
If it's "close to an alley oop" and it hits the backboard, that's good enough for me. I'm calling it a "try", followed by no backcourt violation. If the player hadda line-drived it at the board, I mighta thought about it- but I also might give him the benefit of the doubt on that one too. Have to see that one, though.
The force required to make it back to A1 in the back court would be a "try" that was a brick of Great Wall of China proportions.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 04:02pm
M.A.S.H.

Wouldn't 9-2 prevent this from happening--therefore be a violation?
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Wouldn't 9-2 prevent this from happening--therefore be a violation?
What does throw in provisions have to do with this play?
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 04:07pm
M.A.S.H.

Thanks blind .... let's try this again...

9-9-2

[Edited by tjones1 on Jan 11th, 2005 at 04:12 PM]
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks blind .... let's try this again...

9-9-2

[Edited by tjones1 on Jan 11th, 2005 at 04:12 PM]
As W C Fields said,"I'm looking for a loop hole."

That could be our ruling, but does that consider a loss of team control which would result from a "try"?
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 07:11pm
M.A.S.H.

I'm thinking this has to be what they are talking about. What other way could the ball go back into the backcourt besides striking as official which that is covered in 4.4.4 like you said earlier???
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm thinking this has to be what they are talking about. What other way could the ball go back into the backcourt besides striking as official which that is covered in 4.4.4 like you said earlier???
A1 gets trapped right by the division line in the back court and wraps a pass around a defender to A2 who is also in the BC. The pass lands in the FC and goes to A2.

[Edited by blindzebra on Jan 12th, 2005 at 12:52 AM]
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 11:46pm
M.A.S.H.

Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 11:49pm
M.A.S.H.

Ball went to the frontcourt, returned to the backcourt withouth it touching a player. 9-9-2 Violation
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 08:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Ball went to the frontcourt, returned to the backcourt withouth it touching a player. 9-9-2 Violation
On a try off the backboard too?