The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:54am
M.A.S.H.

Jurassic,

That'd be the opinion of the official on the game I guess. If he considered the "throw" a pass, then they would still have team control and it would be a violation. Obviously, if he considered the "throw" a try, then no team control and there wouldn't be a violation --- the fans would love this one!

Now, what if the ball hit the backboard below the ring and went all the way into the backcourt (somehow) when this "throw" occured? What do you have now?
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 12:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Jurassic,

That'd be the opinion of the official on the game I guess. If he considered the "throw" a pass, then they would still have team control and it would be a violation. Obviously, if he considered the "throw" a try, then no team control and there wouldn't be a violation --- the fans would love this one!

Now, what if the ball hit the backboard below the ring and went all the way into the backcourt (somehow) when this "throw" occured? What do you have now?
You're right back to the point you made yourself above- which was my point all along too- believe it or not. This call is a straight judgement call all the way through. If the official judges that it's a try, no matter where it hits the backboard or basket, then it's not a backcourt violation. If the official rules it a pass instead of a try, then it is a backcourt violation. Without seeing it, or being in the official's shoes either, we can only play "what-if" here.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 12:27pm
M.A.S.H.

Yes I knew where you were going. Just trying to do a little thinking out of the box!

But my thought is, if the ball hits the backboard under the ring and somehow goes into the backcourt this would be a violation because the ball didn't have a chance to go in. Or.....am I doing too much thinking?
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes I knew where you were going. Just trying to do a little thinking out of the box!

But my thought is, if the ball hits the backboard under the ring and somehow goes into the backcourt this would be a violation because the ball didn't have a chance to go in. Or.....am I doing too much thinking?
You're doing too much thinking. If you judge it a try, it's a try, even if it doesn't have a chance to go in. It's similar to the "can a player rebound his / her own airball?" questions -- if it's a try, the player can get it, even if it was a really bad try and had no chance to enter the basket.

Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 12:39pm
M.A.S.H.

Alrighty, figured I was!
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 01:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

You're doing too much thinking. If you judge it a try, it's a try, even if it doesn't have a chance to go in. It's similar to the "can a player rebound his / her own airball?" questions -- if it's a try, the player can get it, even if it was a really bad try and had no chance to enter the basket.

And the only thing that I could add to that is just a personal thought. I've never been very good at reading minds. I'll usually give the ballplayer the benefit of the doubt in these situations if I'm not completely 100% sure. Jmo.