The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Along the lines of the thread about an inept scorekeeper, we had this in a game Sat. night. Soph. girls game. At half-time, the home scorer, an adult, tells us that there was a number 54 for the visitors that she added to the book when she checked into the game. What happened was that a student had copied the visiting lineup into the home book and had left off #54. We decided that we would check the visitors book. If they had a 54, we would not assess a technical. We were not going to penalize the visitors for an error caused by a student of the home team. 54 was in the visitors book so we let it go. On our part, we could have checked the book before the game and seen if it matched the players on the floor. Don't take anything for granted, especially in sub-varsity games where students do a lot of the bookwork.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

player count

even at the sub-varsity level I count players and check the count against the book. I don't worry about matching up uniform numbers but if 10 are on floor I want 10 in book. If the count doesn't match, I check with Coach and tell him I got 9 in book and 10 on floor or I got 13 in book and 12 on floor asking him if that is correct. Sometimes get comment we put them all in regardless so I don't forget somebody at the next game or injury or sickness or something or we get chance to do preventive officiating.

Just my $0.02
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 12:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Along the lines of the thread about an inept scorekeeper, we had this in a game Sat. night. Soph. girls game. At half-time, the home scorer, an adult, tells us that there was a number 54 for the visitors that she added to the book when she checked into the game. What happened was that a student had copied the visiting lineup into the home book and had left off #54. We decided that we would check the visitors book. If they had a 54, we would not assess a technical. We were not going to penalize the visitors for an error caused by a student of the home team. 54 was in the visitors book so we let it go.
By rule, you can't penalize the visitors if they provided the scorer before the 10 minute mark with a lineup that contained #54's name and number. Rule 10-1-1 says that's all that they have to do. If the scorer copies the number down wrong or leaves it out, it's a scorer's mistake and can be corrected without penalty at any time. You got 'er right.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Along the lines of the thread about an inept scorekeeper, we had this in a game Sat. night. Soph. girls game. At half-time, the home scorer, an adult, tells us that there was a number 54 for the visitors that she added to the book when she checked into the game. What happened was that a student had copied the visiting lineup into the home book and had left off #54. We decided that we would check the visitors book. If they had a 54, we would not assess a technical. We were not going to penalize the visitors for an error caused by a student of the home team. 54 was in the visitors book so we let it go.
By rule, you can't penalize the visitors if they provided the scorer before the 10 minute mark with a lineup that contained #54's name and number. Rule 10-1-1 says that's all that they have to do. If the scorer copies the number down wrong or leaves it out, it's a scorer's mistake and can be corrected without penalty at any time. You got 'er right.
Yep. If the scorer puts the number in the book without tellingyou and the ball becomes live, it's too late to penalize. Many folks confuse this rule and say that the player has to still be on the floor when the officials are notified. Not so.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Hey JR check this out...

I agree with you, woo hooooo and BBR hit the nail on the head as well...