The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
I was helping someone out last night and called a JV game. The person doing the book was on her cellphone while my partner was going make the call. My partner fired her right on the spot. Would you have done the same thing?
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

I would have. If I don't I just have myself to blame for any book errors. Way to go partner!
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

One of the worst possible things is a scorer that isn't paying attention. I've done games where the scorer has earbuds in and is listening to music. Well that scorer didn't last too long .

Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
I was helping someone out last night and called a JV game. The person doing the book was on her cellphone while my partner was going make the call. My partner fired her right on the spot. Would you have done the same thing?
Absolutely. I've gotten in trouble too many times by trying to "work with" a scorer who isn't doing the job. If the home school doesn't have anyone else, you can officially designate the visitor's person the "official book"
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
On the other hand, I'll work carefully all night long with a scorer who's trying very hard, but not getting it. I am absolutely rigid about not nagging or hounding a scorer who is new, or just not very smart. I don't let ANYONE bug them at all. In a varsity game, I'd try to get someone to help, but at any level lower than that, the official scorer is just an extension of myself, and gets the same respect I give myself.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I don't know I would have the guts to do it but if the scorekeeper can't multi-task and keep up with the game while on the phone then yes I would. The phone call should be no more the 30 seconds anyway.

Where I work, we have classes for the managers. In those classes the first thing we are taught is to turn off all pagers and Cell phones. Our stores will survive while we are there. Then they teach us the phrase "Be here now". I think it is a great slogan for officiating. If you can't be at the game mentally then you don't need to work the game. If you are at the table, or on the floor. Turn off your cell phone.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

One thing that really bugs me is when I show up at the game, and see 5 people sitting at the scorers table, all for the purpose of making a social event out of the game. I don't like more than 2 people at the table, 3 if it's really necessary. And it makes me look like the bad guy telling them that they can't be there, ah well, I wonder why I choose to referee if I don't like looking like the bad guy
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
One thing that really bugs me is when I show up at the game, and see 5 people sitting at the scorers table, all for the purpose of making a social event out of the game. I don't like more than 2 people at the table, 3 if it's really necessary. And it makes me look like the bad guy telling them that they can't be there, ah well, I wonder why I choose to referee if I don't like looking like the bad guy
I get nervous if I see less than 4 people sitting at the table.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 12:13am
Administrator

Quote:

If she was ordering deep dish pizzas with cheese stuffed crust for the entire officiating crew for after the game then I would not fire her.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

I still want to know why you need 32 people at the scorer's table durning an NCAA Div I game on TV.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Why do you need 4 people?? I find it just gets too be too much of a distraction to have more people than needed. One person on the book&arrow and one person for the scoreboard.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Why do you need 4 people?? I find it just gets too be too much of a distraction to have more people than needed. One person on the book&arrow and one person for the scoreboard.
Game clock, shot clock, official book, visitor's book.

If there's a mic on the table I'll want to see a 5th.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
I still want to know why you need 32 people at the scorer's table durning an NCAA Div I game on TV.
Well, at the minimum, you have one scorer, a clock operator, and a shot clock operator. (3)

Usually, the visiting team will have a book (4), and in some cases, you have a neutral official book with one scorer for each team (5).

If the game is televised, there's a timeout coordinator (6) - yes, he/she gets paid to stand up at the 16, 12, 8, and 4 minute marks.

A lot of scoreboards have separate inputs/controls for the player-foul-points part of the board (7). Many time this person will have a spotter to assist him/her (8).

If there's a courtside monitor, sometimes there will be someone there to assist (9).

Stat crews can often be tableside, usually with three or four people (13), more in a televised game.

Sometimes, members of the media and/or a radio broadcast is situated table-side (15+).

PA announcer (16) takes a spot, and often has his own spotter (17).

Let's not forget the athletics department administrator (18), and the fact that the AD (19) and/or a conference official (20) is given a place at the table.

In some games, you have an alternate official (21) along with the officiating evaluator (22).

Okay - so maybe not 32, but there is (generally) a huge need for space at the tables, and everyone there is doing some sort of job.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

You forgot 2 for each teams radio station and 2 for TV. A spotter and a producer for each. So that is 12 more people. You need someone to program the graphics for the jumbotron. So were at 18 people now. No wonder we need an X in front of the scorekeeper.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think I'd fire her because for a JV game, that might be the only person in the gym that has a clue on how to do the book.

However, I would go nicely explain to her that her cellphone is going to be off limits until the game is over. If she didn't comply, I'd find the A.D. and let him/her "fire her" and get me a new scorekeeper.

Z