The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

My understanding of the mercy rule is 40 points leads to running clock in the fourth quarter. Some of my partners have run the clock as early as the 2nd qtr. I am a new official so my confidence level is not always there, but I believe its 40 points -4 th qtr running clock... Help
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Anytime the lead becomes 40 after the end of the third quarter the running clock starts and you only stop it for time outs, even if the lead goes under 40.

Coaches of both teams may agree to a running clock earlier, but an official cannot, on his own, decide to have a running clock.

I had a girls JV gme earlier this season and the score was 50 to 2 at the half. both coaches agreed to a running clock for the entire second half.

Thankfully those games are few and far between, Not like the varsity boys game I had last night. Big crowd. Visitors come from 12 down to win 45-43.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
My understanding of the mercy rule is 40 points leads to running clock in the fourth quarter. Some of my partners have run the clock as early as the 2nd qtr. I am a new official so my confidence level is not always there, but I believe its 40 points -4 th qtr running clock... Help
It all depends on your state. Each is different