The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 04:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Not coming back to basketball next year. I call baseball and football and I am not having anywheres near the fun I do with the other 2 sports.

Alot of it has to do with the politics in the association. It is not how well you call it is how well you know the assignor. Training is a joke. Don't even think about getting on court evaluations unless it is from your partner and I have found a number of them don't have a clue (had one guy call traveling when players did a jump stop).

Also to get even a low level varsity game they want years of experience (like about 4 or 5) I have called multiple varsity games in football since my rookie year and I called state playoffs in baseball in my 3rd year of calling varisty ball. Those 2 games are more difficult to call than basketball never mind the fact that the rules are more complex in football and baseball than they are in basketball.

Also I get the feeling that they frown on calling for both assignors as well the assignors put you lower on their lists if you do not attend their summer basketball camps. I personally am in the middle of baseball season to attend with one and would rather make money on a diamond than to spend money to be on a basketball court.

What do you all think? Am I rushing judgement after 1 and a half years? I am not claiming to be this awesome official that deserves top level games (honestly could not tell you if I really can call or not other than based on how "quiet" games go) but it would be nice to feel like I am going somewhere based on my ablility and not popularity.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 05:17am
Official Forum Member

First my advice. As you know there is some politics in everything in life. Some places and organizations have more than others. Don't quit because of the politics. If you really aren't having fun and making friends, then those are reasons to go do something else with your time.

Now, that being said, I can certainly relate to your situation. I moved from DC to NV three years ago.
I quickly found that the seniority system was king in the basketball association and it was very political, whereas the soccer association did assessments and rewarded fitness and merit.
I used to have a very good schedule back east where there was excellent basketball. Out here the basketball isn't very good and frankly the officiating reflects that.
I was given all jv and freshmen games my first season here. The assignor did not want a letter from my former association, nor did he bother to come watch me. Part of the problem was that he worked games himself, while I was used to the non-working commish in DC, who had the time to see and evaluate his officials.
I became quite frustrated with having to work my way up again and "paying my dues" since I was already an experienced official. I almost quit after last season, when I wasn't selected for the postseason. However, we had a seachange in the organization and the old assignor was out. I had a talk with a board member, who assured me that things would be very different. They are. We've put in a rating system and officials are evaluated in writing. My personal rating went way up, and I've worked a number of the top games, including tonight's league opener. I'm glad that I came back. (And I'm still happy to do a jv or freshmen game, which I will do Friday. )

Conversely, during the same three year period that I was having no luck making headway with basketball, I worked varsity my first season in soccer, did regionals my second year, and had both the 4A boys regional and state finals this season.

Maybe basketball associations are just more difficult that way. You have been recognized by the football and baseball guys, perhaps basketball will turn around for you the way it did for me. Give it some thought, before you decide to hang it up.
Whatever happens, best wishes.

Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 05:25am
M.A.S.H.

Stick with it! The officiating community needs people like you! With that said, if you aren't having fun, then there's no need to do it. No fun, means it's an extra job! Either way, good luck and I hope you stick with it! Take care.

Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 07:04am
Huck Finn

I haven't done a football or baseball game but I can't imagine a sport where you can take time to think and then pick the flag up after the fact being harder than basketball. Being out in the elements is a whole different thing.
Nevada's description of Nevada's (the state) politics is pretty accurate. When I first went to Nevada (the state) I felt the same way but I had two issues - I wasn't really ready for varsity and we used 2-man crews. By the time we went to 3-man I was ready for the games the politics and everything else. I can use Nevada (the person) as an example because I know him. I know for a fact that his situation would be like it is now because of the guys he associates with. That is not so say they are PC, that is to say they all want to get better and Nevada is known as the "rules guy" which isn't a bad thing either. I'm in the military so change of location is inevitable and my situation is the opposite of Nevada's. I went from doing the state final (some guy we know as Nevada was on the clock messing up ) to being in the DC area just trying to do a game. I would like to think I'm almost where I should be based on the current situation but I don't take anything for granted and continue to work hard.
My advice would be to take your time with Basketball and make sure you are ready or working towards the next level despite all the politics. If someone is ahead of you based only on politics they might have a short stay at their current level. I cannot stress enough, work on you skills first and foremost. If you have a passion and/or love for the game of basketball stay with it. Although I'm tired as heck right now I can't imagine this time of year without being on the court.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
What do you all think? Am I rushing judgement after 1 and a half years?
Absolutely not. After a year and a half, you should be getting regional semi-final playoff games. You should quit in protest. Now. Call you assignor and turn in your schedule.

Sigh.

Ok, look. Maybe there's a legitimate reason you're not getting some higher level games. I waited 6 years for my first varsity games. Maybe basketball isn't really as easy to call as you think it is. Maybe you're being evaluated and you don't know it. Maybe people have heard you complaining and decided that you're not a "team player". Maybe there really are that many officials available that are better than you are right now.

I can't tell you why you're not getting the games you'd like. But I can tell you that after a year and a half, you have no business complaining about not having a varsity (or even a high JV) schedule.

And I'm not saying this b/c I'm an assignor and I get pissed at anybody who complains about their schedule. I have had my share of frustration along my way -- just like 99% of all basketball officials. All you -- or I -- can do is work the games you get and hope somebody notices. If you think you have the potential, then go to one of those summer camps. What can it hurt? It will put you in front of people who can give you better games. At the very least, it will show you what you need to work on before you're ready for those better games.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

I have never officiated any sport other than basketball, but I have heard from many people who have that basketball is by far the most difficult sport to officiate, due to the speed of the game and the number of rules involved. Having officiated basketball for over 12 years, I can safely say that it does take years for anyone to be good enough to be able to work higher level games. There's just too much to know and develop in order to be on top of your game from every perspective. From a solid knowledge of the rules to strong mechanics to dealing with the personalities involved. I have been a member of 5 different associations in 4 states. Every time I moved I had to start over as a rookie - never made it to varsity level until my current association. Some have been good associations, some bad. They have all been political as far as how you move up the ladder. The best association I've been a member of, by far, is the one I'm in now (Portland, Oregon). My assignor trusted my experience and watched me at least 5 times last season, my first in this association. He moved me up to varsity level for this season. So now I get another ladder to climb, as I only get small school varsity girl's games and mostly JV games. It's all good with me.

I know a lot of people get involved with high school officiating with the goal of moving up to the elite levels, maybe move to college ball, and some probably have dreams of making it to the NBA. Not me. I do this because I love the game and want to be a part of it. I'm not interested in college officiating, and honestly I couldn't care less about working the state tournament. I always try to get better and if I make it higher up the ladder, that will be a bonus. But that's just me. I've worked with plenty of guys who seem to do it because they need the money. I've worked with plenty of guys who simply are too old or out of shape and should hang it up, but for some reason they don't. I don't get that. I hope I have the sense to stop when it isn't fun anymore (I did that once - took 5 years off because I was burned out and wasn't having fun) or if I can't keep up. And I would ask you, beg you even, to quit if it isn't fun for you.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 10:34am
Do not give a damn!!

It sounds to me like you want it all too fast. I realize you have worked very well in the other sports, but that does not mean it translates well to basketball. I do not know any of the situations you have to deal with there, but getting a state final in baseball in my 3rd year would not happen here at all. And I know many officials that started working football for years before they got into football, and I have found that it took them some time to make that transition. Even some of the very successful football officials I know were not very good. This might not be you at all, but basketball takes a tremendous amount of commitment to get good at it. Maybe if you want to excel, you need to give up working a baseball game or two to go to a camp. Attending camps show commitment and help you learn things you would not learn during the season.

The bottom line is there is no right or wrong answer to this. I do not know the politics in your area at all. But you say you do not attend camps to get seen because you are working baseball. You either need to learn to get a good balance between the sports if you want to excel at all of them equally. Or you need to realize what the situation is and move on if you are unwilling to commit the time to this sport. I work 3 sports and not all of them have the same priority in my life. And maybe you are thinking because you have success in one, the others will work out. I know that is not the case for me.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 10:44am
Jerry Blum

I know how frustrating it is to think your ready for the better games early on in your career. I had thought I was ready after about 2 years and then finally got a varsity game and realized that I may not be as ready as I thought. Now I have moved to a new state and am having to go through the same process again. Just work hard on getting better is the only advice I can give. I have been lucky so far in my new association because I have worked under level games with some state finals officials and have been lucky enough to get evaluated by other tournament officials. If you are ready you will get noticed and start to get the games you want.

Now I have an issue with your comment about Football and Baseball. I can't really comment on Football but how hard can it be with 5 officials on one game and being able to discuss the call and pick up the flag if it was wrong. Baseball is only difficult to call ball and strikes. I guess it can be warm which might be difficult with the plate equipment on but still is nowhere near as difficult as basketball. Reason I think this is that in basketball you are running along with the play. Causing official to tire quicker than other sports. Also if you make a call you are stopping the game to either call a foul or violation. If you are wrong about the call you have just interupted the game and it is not easy to just start from where the play was interupted. Meaning that if you make a call you better stick with it, right or wrong. Makes the pressure a little bit higher to be right.

Just my thoughts on the two topics.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

You've reffed for a year-and-a-half and the reason you aren't getting any varsity games yet is because of politics? Sigh. Yes, I think you should quit.... just think of how disgruntled you will be next year at this time when you still aren't getting any varsity games.

Z
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:41am
Do not give a damn!!

What is that suppose to me?

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
I know a lot of people get involved with high school officiating with the goal of moving up to the elite levels, maybe move to college ball, and some probably have dreams of making it to the NBA. Not me. I do this because I love the game and want to be a part of it. I'm not interested in college officiating, and honestly I couldn't care less about working the state tournament. I always try to get better and if I make it higher up the ladder, that will be a bonus. But that's just me.
Are you saying that people that want to move up do not love the game? Are you saying that working college makes you not love the game? What are you saying?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

You're disgruntled with basketball after only 1.5 years. How then, are you still a Cowboys fan?
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Re: What is that suppose to me?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
I know a lot of people get involved with high school officiating with the goal of moving up to the elite levels, maybe move to college ball, and some probably have dreams of making it to the NBA. Not me. I do this because I love the game and want to be a part of it. I'm not interested in college officiating, and honestly I couldn't care less about working the state tournament. I always try to get better and if I make it higher up the ladder, that will be a bonus. But that's just me.
Are you saying that people that want to move up do not love the game? Are you saying that working college makes you not love the game? What are you saying?

Peace
No not at all. I didn't mean to have it come off like that. I meant that some people have an agenda beyond just doing it because it is fun. In addition to it being fun, they have aspirations of moving to much higher levels. Not that it's wrong or negative. I was really just trying to convey what it meant to me, not imply anything about anyone else. I don't have those aspirations, so it's only about being fun for me. My only point I was trying to make is: if it isn't something that is fun or enjoyable, you shouldn't be doing it. That's all I meant to say or imply.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Smitty,

I see what you are saying. I just hear people say what you said in this post all the time and it just made me think to finally ask someone what they meant. I work college ball and it is not uncommon for me to be in the car much longer than the game will take. I would not do that if I did not love it. Or I might spend more money on camps that I make during a good portion of the season. To me you have to love the game a hell of a lot to even try those things. If I did not, I would stay less that 5 miles from my house and work rec. leagues all the time. I would still be around the game and probably would make more money than I do now (after all expenses).

Peace
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Not coming back to basketball next year. I call baseball and football and I am not having anywheres near the fun I do with the other 2 sports.

Alot of it has to do with the politics in the association. It is not how well you call it is how well you know the assignor. Training is a joke. Don't even think about getting on court evaluations unless it is from your partner and I have found a number of them don't have a clue (had one guy call traveling when players did a jump stop).

Also to get even a low level varsity game they want years of experience (like about 4 or 5) I have called multiple varsity games in football since my rookie year and I called state playoffs in baseball in my 3rd year of calling varisty ball. Those 2 games are more difficult to call than basketball never mind the fact that the rules are more complex in football and baseball than they are in basketball.

Also I get the feeling that they frown on calling for both assignors as well the assignors put you lower on their lists if you do not attend their summer basketball camps. I personally am in the middle of baseball season to attend with one and would rather make money on a diamond than to spend money to be on a basketball court.

What do you all think? Am I rushing judgement after 1 and a half years? I am not claiming to be this awesome official that deserves top level games (honestly could not tell you if I really can call or not other than based on how "quiet" games go) but it would be nice to feel like I am going somewhere based on my ablility and not popularity.
It is said that the two sports most in need of officials are baseball and football. It only stands to reason that you will be able to climb the ladder faster. Concerning basketball after 1 1/2 years I think you might be rushing things a little bit if you expect to get Varsity games. It generally takes at least 3 or 4 years before you get an occaisional non-conference or tournament game. At least where I live. Concerning "politics" that happens on the job at school etc.

You also have to look at it from an Assignors perspective. He has a pool of officials who he knows are reliable and competent. Not that you don't have these qualities but you are the wild card in this equation. Assigning is a tough job and really why should he take a chance on you? Again I'm not putting you down but that's the reality.

To get games that you want:

1. Don't complain about your schedule be happy that you have games.
2. Get officials who work for the assignor to watch you and ask them to recommend you.
3. Go to camps during the summer. Normally they will give you a written evaluation. Send the evaluation to the assignor.
4. Try to get the assignor to watch you. If he's working games try to get a prelim. game in front of his and ask him to come early.
5. Ask the AD or varsity coach to watch you and recommend you to the assignor.

Finally, If you like officiating basketball it really shouldn't matter what level you are working. Junior High, Freshman and JV need good officials. It is at these levels where all the strange and goofy plays occurr. This is where you learn how to officiate.

Good luck and hang in there.

G

Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Well, there have been a lot of great comments to this thread so far and I can agree with points made in all of them.

I just wanted to point out that the criteria used in evaluating an official does not lean heavily towards the number of years of experience. An official is evaluated for many things in determining an assessment of their skills:
  • Knowledge of the rules
  • Proper mechanics
  • On court positioning and movement
  • Communication and game management skills
  • Professional disposition/attitude
  • Professional appearance
  • Willingness to take assignments at lower levels
  • Dependability - work the schedule given and be on time (no cancels or low turnbacks)
Developing these skills comes with experience which means games worked not necessarily the number of years worked. The more games you work, the more polished your skills will become. You need not wait 4-5 years to get that experience but you do have to seize the opportunities when they present themselves such as school seasons, AAU, summer leagues, rec leagues, camps etc. You can get alot of work in one calendar year other than the typical 20 game school schedule. If you approach each game with vim and vigor as if it were an evaluation, your skill set will improve dramatically, and quicker than you could imagine.

Also, don't be so quick to blow off going to camp even if it conflicts with your other money making schedule. Your assignors use the camps as a major tool in determining your skills, noting your personality and professionalism, and seeing how you operate. Granted, your loyalty may be tested but it seems a small price to pay if it results in a full schedule at the levels you desire.

Politics, schmolitics! Check your ego at the door. You may have had "perceived" success in your other sports when you were able to work playoffs and championship games after only 1-2 years. To me, that just means that you got lucky, they were short on experienced officials, or you knew somebody. No offense but you did not get those assignments because you were a great official. How could anyone know if you were so good after only 1 or 2 seasons. Well, maybe they could in those other sports but not in basketball, the bar is much higher.

Show patience, work your schedule, let your assignors know of your desire to move up, work hard at being a good official. If, after 80-100 games worked at your highest level you still get shut out of the NEXT level, then you may have to make a personal decision.