The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

after reading 10-3-3 have more ?'s and different senarios...

1. is the intent of this rule to insure the offense doesnt gain an advantage? i know that it seems overly simplfied but I ask because could you apply this to a defensive player seeking an advantage because of screening offenses doing a good job.

2. would leaving the court for unathorized reason be a delay of game? could i warn the coach and offending team first?

3. if during an oob play the inbounding team had the right to run the end line...they inbound then run back to the original spot to enter the court would this be a tech?
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 01:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. It could apply to either offense or defense. It is primarily seen on offense, and the defense would in most cases be crazy to go OOB intentionally during a live ball.

2. No. Delay of game warnings are limited to two situations; scoring team preventing an immediate inbound and crossing the plain during a throw in. This does not qualify.

3. I would say this is a tech. They need to go immediately inbounds following the throw-in.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
1. It could apply to either offense or defense. It is primarily seen on offense, and the defense would in most cases be crazy to go OOB intentionally during a live ball.

2. No. Delay of game warnings are limited to two situations; scoring team preventing an immediate inbound and crossing the plain during a throw in. This does not qualify.

3. I would say this is a tech. They need to go immediately inbounds following the throw-in.
Snacks--

Item 2. Duh. There's three DoGW's. The third is huddling in the lane before or between free throws. Rule 4-46. (ps it's "crossing the PLANE")

You're welcome.

juulie
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 04:00am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Juulie, You saved me from being pedantic.

Cloverdale, take a look at POE 3A on page 70.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 06:00am
Official Forum Member

thanks everyone

dont have books in front of me will lookup references later...having to start dealing with the snow.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Cloverdale, you asked in another thread that I take a look at this one. For the most part, my view is in harmony with what has already been said:

1. I think the intent of the rule is to prevent any and all players from gaining an unfair advantage. It doesn't happen that much, and it's usually the team on offense, but the prohibition on running OOB applies to all players.

2. Unauthorized leaving of the court is penalized with a T. The only times I have seen this involve sickness (player is about to throw up and darts for the lockerroom) or what was described to me by the coach as "feminine issues" (also involving a dash to the lockerroom). Even though the players didn't obtain the officials' permission first, we treated those departures as authorized.

3. If I saw what you described in a varsity game, or during a game where I thought that they were doing this to gain some kind of an advantage, I agree with Snaqwells that this would be a T. In subvarsity games, however, where a player is probably only doing that because s/he thinks s/he has to, I'd probably pass on the T and try to use the situation as a teachable moment by catching up with that player at some point to let her/him know that s/he should just enter the court after the throw in pass.