The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

BV, Team A, home team leads by 2 points and inbounds with 4 seconds left in the game, team B does a bad job and doesn't foul anyone on the inbounds play. A1 passes to A2 who drives the lane pretty much unguarded and attempts a dunk with less than 1 second left, time expires and A2 is hanging on the rim. I am L, so I'm letting T, who's in good position live or die with the call and he passes on it. He said that he hung on for protection from injury, but that the call might have been different at another point in the game. Based on my angle, I might have had a T based on what I saw, but I wasn't about to come in late since my partner had a good look. Assuming that there are no players beneath, who here would call the T in this situation and who thinks that passing on a T here betters the game?
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 03:12am
M.A.S.H.

Well, I'd say that if your P had the better look at it, that it was probably wise to pass on it. Because once you call it, it's over and you can't take it back. As far as the play, of course it's hard to describe these situations because you have to see it to know whether a T should of been call or not. However, it sounds like it was wise to pass on it.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

By that point, it's a 4 point game and the horn has sounded. What would be the purpose?
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
By that point, it's a 4 point game and the horn has sounded. What would be the purpose?
I think the player missed the dunk.
This means that you will shoot FTs to tie the game.
If the lead is 4 points, then just call the T, report it and leave, since the FT don't matter.

My opinion is that ONLY the Trail should make this call. I also believe that if you would T the player for doing this in the first quarter, you should T the player on the last play of the game, too.

Some calls just take balls.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 08:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

[/B]
Chuck woulda made that call!!
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

Chuck woulda made that call!!
[/B]
Y'all oughta put smileys on posts like this, Jurassic. You have no idea how many people are gonna take that as being serious (even though you were right on about Chuck).
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
BV, Team A, home team leads by 2 points and inbounds with 4 seconds left in the game, team B does a bad job and doesn't foul anyone on the inbounds play. A1 passes to A2 who drives the lane pretty much unguarded and attempts a dunk with less than 1 second left, time expires and A2 is hanging on the rim. I am L, so I'm letting T, who's in good position live or die with the call and he passes on it. He said that he hung on for protection from injury, but that the call might have been different at another point in the game. Based on my angle, I might have had a T based on what I saw, but I wasn't about to come in late since my partner had a good look. Assuming that there are no players beneath, who here would call the T in this situation and who thinks that passing on a T here betters the game?
Trails call all the way. To me it's similar to you as Lead calling a foul in the paint and you looking to your partner to see if the basket was made. Since it's the end of the game Trail has responsibility to determine whether the basket counts or is waved off to me it's his/hers call all the way. Trust your partner in that situation. IMHO.

As an aside his/hers explanation on why no Tee was called makes no sense. It's either hanging on the basket or it's hanging to protect your self from injury. Point in the game should make no difference.

One more question. Horn sound as player dunks. Basket is good after horn player hanging on basket. Does the horn have any significance as to whether a Tee can be called?
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 10:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
[/B]
One more question. Horn sound as player dunks. Basket is good after horn player hanging on basket. Does the horn have any significance as to whether a Tee can be called? [/B][/QUOTE]Nope, the "T" is for hanging on the rim during the officials' jurisdiction. That officials' jurisdiction lasts until all officials have left the visual confines of the court at the end of the game.

Handle with care, though.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
One more question. Horn sound as player dunks. Basket is good after horn player hanging on basket. Does the horn have any significance as to whether a Tee can be called? [/B]
Nope, the "T" is for hanging on the rim during the officials' jurisdiction. That officials' jurisdiction lasts until all officials have left the visual confines of the court at the end of the game.

Handle with care, though. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks. Never happened to me hope it never does.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
One more question. Horn sound as player dunks. Basket is good after horn player hanging on basket. Does the horn have any significance as to whether a Tee can be called? [/B]
Nope, the "T" is for hanging on the rim during the officials' jurisdiction. That officials' jurisdiction lasts until all officials have left the visual confines of the court at the end of the game.

Handle with care, though. [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't see a lot of this in 7th grade girls, but just out of intellectual curiosity when do you want your refs to call this, and when not?
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 11:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
One more question. Horn sound as player dunks. Basket is good after horn player hanging on basket. Does the horn have any significance as to whether a Tee can be called?

Handle with care, though. [/B]

I don't see a lot of this in 7th grade girls, but just out of intellectual curiosity when do you want your refs to call this, and when not? [/B][/QUOTE]Personally, if you feel that it's done as an unsporting act(like doing chin-ups) or maybe to taunt the other team, then nail the little sh!t. Other than that, no harm/no foul. Get outa Dodge. Jmo.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Handle with care, though.

I don't see a lot of this in 7th grade girls, but just out of intellectual curiosity when do you want your refs to call this, and when not? [/B]
Personally, if you feel that it's done as an unsporting act(like doing chin-ups) or maybe to taunt the other team, then nail the little sh!t. Other than that, no harm/no foul. Get outa Dodge. Jmo. [/B][/QUOTE]

There's a story around here from a few years ago. Rivalry game, home wins by 4. Home players decide to celebrate by doing pull-ups on the rim. Ref calls four T's. Visitor makes 5 of the 8 shots. Refs had to have security for their drive home.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 12:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

[/B]
There's a story around here from a few years ago. Rivalry game, home wins by 4. Home players decide to celebrate by doing pull-ups on the rim. Ref calls four T's. Visitor makes 5 of the 8 shots. Refs had to have security for their drive home. [/B][/QUOTE]Wow, that's a tough one. What was the general consensus on that one, Juulie? Did they get backed or dumped on by their own association?
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
There's a story around here from a few years ago. Rivalry game, home wins by 4. Home players decide to celebrate by doing pull-ups on the rim. Ref calls four T's. Visitor makes 5 of the 8 shots. Refs had to have security for their drive home. [/B]
Wow, that's a tough one. What was the general consensus on that one, Juulie? Did they get backed or dumped on by their own association? [/B][/QUOTE]

Backed up. I think it was interpreted as unsportsmanlike, taunting, as you described. Ref recognized that number of points could change the game, so called it, and then went into the Federal Witness Protection Program.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There's a story around here from a few years ago. Rivalry game, home wins by 4. Home players decide to celebrate by doing pull-ups on the rim. Ref calls four T's. Visitor makes 5 of the 8 shots. Refs had to have security for their drive home.
Wow, that's a tough one. What was the general consensus on that one, Juulie? Did they get backed or dumped on by their own association? [/B]
Backed up. I think it was interpreted as unsportsmanlike, taunting, as you described. Ref recognized that number of points could change the game, so called it, and then went into the Federal Witness Protection Program. [/B][/QUOTE]

This is a true story and the refs were supported. However, it should be know that it was NOT a varsity game. I belive it was a Freshman or JV game.